Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Shipwreched: Tiny Volcanic Island Isolated 2x2 Embark Challange  (Read 27061 times)

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
Re: Shipwreched: Tiny Volcanic Island Isolated 2x2 Embark Challange
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2012, 05:26:26 pm »

Havn't seen that seince 40d. How do you get it now?
I've found it somewhere, but I don't remember where.  Do a Google.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2012, 05:28:35 pm »

I actualy managed to find it on my own. it's in dfusion in df hack under tools.
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2012, 05:51:13 pm »

any adult not claimed? i saw this in the archive and decided to take a look.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2012, 05:56:14 pm »

any adult not claimed? i saw this in the archive and decided to take a look.
Should be like two, if I've done my arithmetic right.

OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2012, 05:58:03 pm »

yays
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2012, 05:59:23 pm »

yays
Don't get too excited, I suck at math.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 06, 2012, 12:59:41 pm »

I have no idea how you're getting pumps ready before the magma cools. Also my pumps keep lighting on fire when I pump magma. I'm gonna keep trying this though. I lost the wheelbarrow last time, and that was acceptable to me until the merchant fell in the volcano.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2012, 06:17:16 pm »

I had been using the "Just Embark" utility, works fine in the current release too. The difficulty with the magma is due to another failure of the embark site; there was supposed to be a small piramid of additional free flowing magma on the top of the volcano to make the simulated erruption last longer and endanger the wagon, but since the embark is so flat DF won't initialize the area above the volcano until you build into it so I couldn't place the additional magma on embark. It took me more then 10 tries to get a workable strategy going and then more to try and cut a couple days from the process. Two carpenter shops to make both pipe sections at once, pre-moving all items with stockpiles to one tile from where they would be needed, limiting FPS to 10 and using frame by frame advancing for job completion, re-starting when some dwarf takes a job and then waits 50 frames before actually starting it. Even with all that there was still alot of holes in the obsidian of the best casting run. It just doesn't work right but I'm thinking about making a better, and possibly more complex island that might work right. Still looking for suggestions/ requests on what features people would like to play on. Maybe a resident dragon when you arrive?

There should have been some black sand bags in the wagon for making magma-proof pump components by sacrificing some wood. If you try to dump them to move them you loose the sand.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2012, 10:46:52 pm »

If you managed to get the extra pyramid of lava to endanger the wagon, the whole island would flood. The lava gets about 2-3 squares from the wagon as is, so I'm not even sure if using a lot of the wood to build walls around the wagon would be possible in time. As for features, unless the island gets a lot bigger, then there probably won't be much room for added Fun. If the island does get bigger, than making a shelter will probably be harder actually, since moving water where it's needed would require aqueducts of some sort. This assumes of course that the island is still a single layer. Finally, if I wanted to make my own variant, how would I make the volcano? All the other aspects seem simple enough.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 05:49:16 pm by Person »
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2012, 01:16:33 pm »

If you managed to get the extra pyramid of lava to endanger the wagon, the whole island would flood. The lava gets about 2-3 squares from the wagon as is,

Probably right.

Disable bottom layer when generating the world, when you use 'Just Embark' to embark on the ocean the units will spawn in rock in the lowest top left corner tile and not die (if the bottom layer is there they seem to reliably fall into a glowing pit - though it might be avoidable by fortunate chance) Construct the landmass as needed using DFLiquids, modify tiletypes as needed with DFHack tiletypes command. Abandon and re-embark again with 'Just Embark.' For the volcano I made, the under-ocean magma had to be placed after embarking the second time as the ocean tiles overwrite it upon embarking. However there is still some experimenting to do with trying switching the tiletypes under the volcano to semi-molten rock to see if it would re-fill normally and/ or finding a method to make the volcano filled with 'magma' instead of 'lava' so that you get the 'you have discovered a great magma sea' message to use magma forges. Also I would make sure the sacrificial first embark carries no items as they get scattered in the caverns on abandon.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2012, 03:17:52 pm »

If you can't find a way to enable magma forges, there's always the option of making a modded forge that uses no fuel, but that would involve recreating all the reactions, which would break gauntlets and boots since modded reactions can only make generic boots and gauntlets that don't have lefts or rights. However, that probably won't matter without any bars.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 05:49:28 pm by Person »

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2012, 03:29:09 pm »

If you can't find a way to enable magma forges, there's always the option of making a modded forge that uses no fuel, but that would involve recreating all the reactions, which would break gauntlets and boots since modded reactions can only make generic boots and gauntlets that don't have lefts or rights. However,that probably won't matter without any bars.

Or just deleting the fuel tag in reaction_smelter raw in the save folder raw. IIRC changing a reaction don't need a regen, it's adding new reactions that does.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2012, 09:29:23 pm »

If you can't find a way to enable magma forges, there's always the option of making a modded forge that uses no fuel, but that would involve recreating all the reactions, which would break gauntlets and boots since modded reactions can only make generic boots and gauntlets that don't have lefts or rights. However,that probably won't matter without any bars.

Or just deleting the fuel tag in reaction_smelter raw in the save folder raw. IIRC changing a reaction don't need a regen, it's adding new reactions that does.
Oh. I thought those reactions were hard coded. My bad. Maybe they used to be? I did check just now and they aren't. Glass might be though since I can't seem to find it.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 05:50:27 pm by Person »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2012, 10:11:19 pm »

Glass, forging, and smelting ores are all hardcoded.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2012, 06:21:37 am »

Oh. I thought those reactions were hard coded. By bad. Maybe they used to be? I did check just now and they aren't. Glass might be though since I can't seem to find it.

Forging and other workshops are hard-coded, it's only the smeltery that's not, currently. Though I've not checked the raws in a bit!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6