Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Shipwreched: Tiny Volcanic Island Isolated 2x2 Embark Challange  (Read 26655 times)

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
Shipwreched: Tiny Volcanic Island Isolated 2x2 Embark Challange
« on: October 27, 2012, 01:46:48 am »

When the flash flood bore down upon the wagon there was nothing to do but to hang on no matter the battering. The wagon's securely lashed load of partially filled barrels buoyed it up on the surface of the water and those that had managed to keep their grip were alive, for now. After drifting for what seemed like days lost in the currents of the subsiding waters and propelled intermittently by the thrashings of the draft animals still hanging in their life-saving harnesses, the accidental craft beeches on the shore of a tiny barren isle. Storm clouds boil on the horizon, the ground is worryingly warm underfoot and the survivors' first moment of repose is interrupted by a deafening rumble followed by a even louder explosion. Striking the earth may not be the best immediate plan.

Shipwreched
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Unique untested artificial isolated island embark save created with various DFHack tools. Phoebus graphics package installed. Might make a good hermit game. Best to have pause/ recenter on cave-ins disabled. Also terrifying. And everyone's useless.

Good luck, feedback appreciated.

edit: Fixed a missing magma source tile on z-level 99 in the center of volcano which prevented it from re-filling like normal world-gen volcanoes do and re-uploaded the file. The old version can be fixed by 'k'ing the lvl99 center volcano tile and entering 'magmasource here' in the DFHack terminal.

Thinking of ways to add other features to custom islands. Curious as to what other people would want in an island embark as well. Possibly taking request(s).
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 06:44:54 pm by Crashmaster »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Shipwreched: Tiny Volcanic Island Isolated 2x2 Embark Challange
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 11:38:11 am »

The island is shaped like Texas!

Cool. Glad there's a save.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Kirbypowered

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Dabbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 02:35:54 pm »

This seems interesting. Have you tried it out yet? And I'm curious about migrants and caravans; does it being ocean all the way around stop them from showing up?

I'd try it myself right now, if it weren't for having dial up internet.
THE WINTER MEN COME DOWN THE VALLEY AND KILL KILL KILL.
I'm voting for the Plaid Acre up next on COLORS AND MEASUREMENTS weekly.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 03:06:34 pm »

The island is shaped like Texas!

I always felt that the naturally occuring magma pipes all looked a little bit like Texas. Less-so once I looked at a Texas map though.

Have you tried it out yet? And I'm curious about migrants and caravans;

I've made it to early autumn loosing only both cats and some supplies in the process of creating some shelter. There should be no migrants or caravans. I'm uncertain of the fate that awaits the hard-coded migrant waves though; do they appear over the water at the edge of the embark or underground in solid rock like the pre-embark group that I used to make the island did?

Current goal; expand shelter

Long-term survivability goal; reach the caverns

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 03:17:45 pm »

The island itself. Look, there's a thingy to the west of the volcano that looks like the one part of Texas, and the outliney part is shaped like Texas's border, and the wagon is on Houston! And the volcano covers a lot of Texas.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 03:22:32 pm »

Dorf me as:
Name: Malthas
Profession: mason/swordsdwarf
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 03:37:36 pm »

Oh, right, dwarves.

...Any farmers? Specifically, of the dairy variety?
Sig

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 03:46:05 pm »

The island itself.

The island was designed to look like Texas, the fact that the magma pipe also looks like texas is part of what makes the map challenging.

Dorf me as:
Name: Malthas
Profession: mason/swordsdwarf

I am playing through and could proceed as a community game, however I know all the in's and out's of the embark. I had intended it as a challenge to others to see how they uniquely solved the problem posed by the difficulty of the embark.

If interest points to community game I will go that route and try to act surprised then.

It's not really a spoiler, so, there's three hammerdwarves (hammer, dodge, shield, fighter) a liaison/ noble-type (only talking skills), merchant (appraiser/ manager/ broker), peasant (minor hand-to-hand skills) and the Fool (maxed comedian and flatterer). A few also have adequate swimmer - but it's not done any of them any good.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 03:53:08 pm »

I'll take a hammerdwarf. Name him/her GreatWyrm[stone s/he likes]. S/he wants to be a stoneworker of ALL types. Miner, mason, engraver, stonecrafter, etc.
Sig

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 09:03:08 am »

Wow, what a place it is!
Dort me as Peregar Mechanic, who develops massive obsidian casting device, to build a wondrous castle above the sea.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2012, 12:47:42 pm »

Ooh ooh, I'll take the fool!  Name him The Card.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, 01:53:12 am »

Trip Ledger
WAGON 4

(The following is written in the blank pages of an accounts ledger following a precise accounting of valuable trade goods bartered for much-used, soiled and regretfully un-seaworthy bulk sock bales.) 

The lava surge came from the volcano shortly after our arrival, I like my cat roast well-done but....
We needed pipe fast and so used two of the 13 logs from the wagon load. Two of the four ballast blocks from the wagon will be needed for the pumps as well.

After rapid construction the pumps are used on the already-stopped lava flow. They're stopped when back-wash threatens to send the pump operators to the bottom of the sea following some of our limited supplies.

The eruption has created a fair amount of new land around the island. A passage is cut through the cooled part of the lava flow to give us access to the west side of the island. With some patching-up the cooled flow will make decent shelter in short order. We sure need it as rotten goo has started raining from the sky. It stunk of elves and trees and soon had everyone sick to their stomachs.

The yaks, like the rest of us, are yakking all over. With nothing for them to eat they have to be slaughtered. Some beds have been set up at least. Both cats that came in the wagon had died in the lava so the butcher's in the basement was quickly turned into our still. We have to have more shelter. Two more logs are used to fire a set of green glass pump components and the seawater pumps are set up anew. An awning gives some shelter to our goods out in the wagon at least.

By late spring we are pumping lava and water onto the southwest quadrant of the island. With more space to get around a hollow was cut from the native rock composing the western spur of the volcano. This sheltered ground will be able to support the plump helmet spawn still packed in the wagon. A hole is excavated to cast another deeper floor as well. There is puke everywhere, I had to order cleaning attempts to stop as it was wasted effort.

By the time the sub-basement's access ramp was being collapsed out the first barrels of Castaways' Plump Helmet Wine were rolling out of the still with a couple dozen drinks to spare. The vomiting and nausea fade with decreased exposure to the rotten goo and there have been no additional side effects so far.

The main floor is left for now but the basement is expanded. GreatWyrmLimestone the ranking survivor of the guards has taken over the task of mining. I can tell winter has set in by the stars but this weather is still scorching and the smell of hot vomit mingled with the rotten goo will be better locked outside of solid rock.

Winter will be spent expanding the shelter casting to the northwest quadrant of this island. While I do want it to be worthy of dwarves for now, I will be getting off this island. I'm fairly certain that the old liaison Malthas feels the same way, same thing with Peregar the wandering tinker whom we met on the road; some dwarves just can't stay penned up in one fortress or group for their whole lives.

Or months. Basically we've gotta get out of here before someone goes crazy.

Bobnova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2012, 07:39:22 pm »

This looks like fun, I'm going to take a crack at it this weekend.
Possibly Drunk Fortress style.
how do I lizard Werewolf
ther seems to be a little gecko problem somehwere.
O gawd, drank all ten beers. And 3/5 of this at dinner.  I'm dronk.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2012, 05:20:40 pm »

It sure seems to be springtime.

The seawater pumps were moved to the north for casting of the northwestern area. This also required leaving the farm to be burned by lava then re-building it afterwards. Albatross' were seen out over the water for a few days, it is an omen of good fortune I think.

The leftover obsidian that was hanging over the lip into the volcano from the last casting operation was mined for stone then dropped to the bottom of the volcano. Bedrooms have been set-up under the new area and the farm is producing plum helmets again.

Winter is started off with two births.

Due to the young being around cleaning work has been restarted. Some sort of squid men were seen under the water's surface. While they made no aggressive moves it was advised to stay inside until they were gone.

One of our last logs is used to make a bucket for soap production. Once the soap is made the bucket is ear-marked for a well over the cistern we are starting to build.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2012, 05:22:55 pm »

Wait, who are the lucky fathers?

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6