Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Very 'Close' Family  (Read 1684 times)

Aichuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A Very 'Close' Family
« on: October 28, 2012, 12:42:38 am »

I was playing adventure mode today when I started talking with a general. I started asking him about his family. At first he talked about his sons etc. Then suddenly he started saying crazy stuff like '(name) is my father. He is also my cousin'. and '(name1) is my uncle. He is also my cousin.' and '(name2) is my aunt. She is also my paternal grandmother.'. I searched all the names on legends mode but can't find the link. How the heck can a father be a cousin?

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Very 'Close' Family
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 12:57:00 am »

Simple enough, his father is the son of one of his mother's siblings.

Historic figures only marry other historic figures (unless marriage can propel a generic member of the population to historic status) so it's probably a lot more likely than it seems, given the limited pool of potential spouses. I've never seen it personally, though.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Aichuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 01:03:34 am »

Even then, it still sounds cool.

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 01:48:49 am »

All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 09:49:08 am »

You see stuff like this more often in young worlds because of the limited pairing options. I think Toady said somewhere that historical figures won't marry siblings or parents, but ants/uncles and cousins are fine.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

killerx243

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 07:33:38 pm »

You see stuff like this more often in young worlds because of the limited pairing options. I think Toady said somewhere that historical figures won't marry siblings or parents, but ants/uncles and cousins are fine.

Might as well keep it in the family  :P

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 03:35:11 pm »

Also, since Humans become adults at age 12 (at which point they become able to marry and have children), can live from 60 to 120 years, presumably remain fertile for their entire lifespan (I don't think DF does menopause), and presumably don't care much about age differences, you can end up with some very tangled family trees. You could even potentially have a child meet its own great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandparents, though it'd be rather unlikely.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.