Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ideas for a (Smaller) Research Paper  (Read 1051 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Ideas for a (Smaller) Research Paper
« on: November 01, 2012, 04:51:25 pm »

I have a research paper due in a month or so, on some sociological issue or another.  Rather, it has to relate to sociology in some (not vague) way.  Any ideas that are interesting or worth learning? 

I understand you may not know my personality, but I enjoy the study of interpersonal relations and the disfunctions of such.  Not that that has to have any relationship to the subject

-As it stands now, I think I may do a piece on media and how it has changed public opinion on issues including but not limited to homosexuality, fatherhood, woman's role in society, and public tolerance of fetish.  [Just what I was throwing around in my head so far]
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Ideas for a (Smaller) Research Paper
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 05:03:40 pm »

Maybe something on the freakish prevalence of advertising in most western media (media period?)? If you're sticking with media, anyway. Gods only know that's fucking with interpersonal relations somehow or another.

But... yeah. Sociology's still a pretty big field (to a large degree because it's still pretty young, and thus in a lot of ways not entirely certain as to what exactly it's supposed to be doing.) so you're not exactly... limited. In what you could go in to. The list could go on for miles and miles and miles.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 05:11:55 pm »

Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 10:30:01 am »

How about how Free2Play games manipulate their players, and the morality of doing so?

Two interesting links for that:

http://insertcredit.com/2011/09/22/who-killed-videogames-a-ghost-story/
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-10-12-designers-question-the-ethics-of-f2p-design-at-gdc-online

WTF?  I am actually unsure just what I am reading...  I understand the broad concept, but are they saying that specificly those silly Facebook games and free-internet games like *looks around* those on Pogo are:

1) Scamming the proletariat I mean common folks.
2) Designed for those with mental disorders such as ADHD, OCD, and even Autism or Down Syndrome?
3) Potentially ruining the (low budget) gaming market with this scam?

I feel confused, but like I should be upset...

---Also, yea, I assumed it was understood I meant American media.  Habit of being in America and associating with detail indifferent peoples.  One of mny bad habits.

Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Immortal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 11:41:33 am »

I would suggest go with what you current have snowballing. I like the idea and you have lots to work with.

TheProphet

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Messiah
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 02:30:08 pm »

You could go completely meta and do a sociology paper on the sociological impacts of sociology.
But that other idea sounds good.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 11:26:54 pm »

The Economics of Eve.

How karma impacts social mores on Reddit.

I dunno. How filthy casuals act "hardcore" for playing StarCraft 2.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.