Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 111

Author Topic: The Bay12 RPG - Made in RPG Maker VX! - Back again by popular demand!  (Read 222861 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: The Bay12 RPG - Made in RPG Maker VX! - You can be a player!
« Reply #630 on: November 06, 2012, 06:49:31 pm »

But I don't need a break! I have this sock here, see?

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: November 06, 2012, 06:52:09 pm »

with stats unchanged from a dragon that level.
I don't think that's even possible.
...then remove that ability.

The slow speed will offset the sunlance ability.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: November 06, 2012, 06:59:21 pm »

How about making a sprite sheet first or something.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: November 06, 2012, 07:00:26 pm »

The slow speed will offset the sunlance ability.

To have Sunlance scale why don't you have it based on current HP? Something like [(Current HP x 2) + 1] damage. Then your character isn't OP'd from the start, and you'd have to manage your HP to be effective.

How about making a sprite sheet first or something.

That too. It's a requirement to have a sprite sheet.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: November 06, 2012, 07:04:50 pm »

Also, balancing a character whose equipment you can't change is going to be difficult because their stats would have to compensate for the lack of equipment stat growth.

Spoiler: Progress (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 07:17:56 pm by Darvi »

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: November 06, 2012, 07:45:24 pm »

Play nice, guys. Zanzetzuken is entitled to be a boss as well. I'm cool with Sunlance inflicting OHKO @100% but his speed through the floor.

Testing a character with 1 AGI vs the team works pretty well. Zanzy gets one or two attacks out before he's knocked out, but that means that two players fall. :P

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: November 06, 2012, 08:10:15 pm »

Play nice, guys. Zanzetzuken is entitled to be a boss as well. I'm cool with Sunlance inflicting OHKO @100% but his speed through the floor.

Testing a character with 1 AGI vs the team works pretty well. Zanzy gets one or two attacks out before he's knocked out, but that means that two players fall. :P

...can you set it to 2 or 3, and increase 'my' hp so that the player cannot kill me when I am first met?  I was thinking that 'I' was going to be a late-game party character...
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 08:13:24 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Svampapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: November 06, 2012, 10:35:25 pm »

But I don't need a break! I have this sock here, see?

Congratulations Darvi. Your alter ego just earned the sock of holding: A bottomless poopsock.

;D

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: November 06, 2012, 10:42:28 pm »

...can you set it to 2 or 3, and increase 'my' hp so that the player cannot kill me when I am first met?  I was thinking that 'I' was going to be a late-game party character...

Yeah. This was just a cheap test. At level 1, the party has between 600 and 200 health. Zanzetzuken's test, a static dragon sprite, has 750 health and spams Sunlance every turn that he gets, which isn't often.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: November 07, 2012, 12:57:56 am »

I just finished reading through this whole thread and I like where this is going. I'd like to be included as my character from USEC_OFFICER's, Tomb of Horrors game, Kadzar the Battlechef. Picture courtesy of Solifuge.
Or, rather, I'd like to be all of the Kadzars, who own a chain of trauma inns known as the "Kadzar Family Restaurant and Dojo". Kadzar and all of his sons are all completely identical, distinguishable only by the Roman numeral at the end of their names. (though, if you want, you can include Kadbot (Once again, courtesy of Solifuge.), Kadzar's adopted robot son.)

All Kadzars would greet customers with a "haldo" or "hoi", and you should be able to buy from them an item called "50 feet of Sausage Casing and Grappling Ham", which should provide some sort of entangling effect when used and/or as a grappling hook. They may also be able to teach players Battlechef techniques.

Also, how hard is it to use that RPG maker thing to make non-standard gear? I'm not good at spriting myself and, in case you couldn't tell, my guy is wearing a plate apron and an iron chef hat (and also wielding a chef's knife and some sort of lid as a shield).
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: November 07, 2012, 01:27:15 am »

Also, balancing a character whose equipment you can't change is going to be difficult because their stats would have to compensate for the lack of equipment stat growth.

That is the easy part, afterall a character who has no equipment is rather common. (or do what Crono trigger did and improved their equipment based on level)

The difficult part is making the gimic of having different start ups while not ruining the character if they have bad equipment or too powerful if they have the best equipment. As well as giving them some final upgrade can be tough.

Mind you some games did it badly and some did it very well.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: November 07, 2012, 01:58:30 am »

[...]
I'm not good at spriting myself and, in case you couldn't tell, my guy is wearing a plate apron and an iron chef hat (and also wielding a chef's knife and some sort of lid as a shield).
Would you like me to make you a sprite?

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: November 07, 2012, 02:11:25 am »

[...]
I'm not good at spriting myself and, in case you couldn't tell, my guy is wearing a plate apron and an iron chef hat (and also wielding a chef's knife and some sort of lid as a shield).
If you want to, then, yes, I would be honored.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: November 07, 2012, 02:30:53 am »

[...]
If you want to, then, yes, I would be honored.
Expect something within the next 24 hours.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: November 07, 2012, 02:57:17 am »

Hooray! Have we decided on our initial PC being an original character, as i think would be best? Or are we going with one of the forumites being the initial PC?
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 111