Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: ASCII vs. Tilesets: Battle of the Century  (Read 15917 times)

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: ASCII vs. Tilesets: Battle of the Century
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2012, 03:39:08 pm »

Tilesets remind me of my old RPG days, and as long as I can still use them that small part of my fond memories can still live!
I might try ASCII one day, but I can't stand those stupid smiley faces.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2012, 03:45:01 pm »

Tilesets are just much easier to learn without all the looking crap up on wiki over and over and over over. 

All games evolve graphically over time.  When Toady makes 3d and shizzle, you're going to have to give up your bullsquat elite attitude and play the game with graphics.  And all this nerd cred info about g is for goblin will be useless, sucks to be you.

There should be an official tileset/graphics option.  But it's jerks who insist on retro hipster cool ascii that keep the game from moving forward, and keep the mainstream appeal away, that could also make the game better through new player contribution.  Both financial and otherwise.

This is the 30 year old bs you're attached to:

Tilesets work better than fine.  You'll just have to get off your ass and learn something new you lazy bastich.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 03:50:26 pm by kingubu »

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2012, 03:46:49 pm »

Tilesets work better than fine.  You'll just have to get off your ass and learn something new you lazy bastich.

Was about to post reply, then realized we're all trolling here anyway.

Graphics suck.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2012, 04:39:41 pm »

sarcasm-mode-activated

-snip-

Bro, don't mess with these conservative elitist folk. Just let them have their tea parties where they talk about their conservative ideas about how all these tilesets suck and how ASCII is great. These guys don't care about progressing forward and they expect everyone to use their shitty ASCII because they are too dumb to read tilesets. They don't have the intelligence to read both ASCII and tilesets like we do. What? You didn't know? We are born with the ability to read tilesets and they simply lack it. Why would they make such a fuss about it, rather than just fucking learning it then?

says the guy who still uses Windows XP

Seriously, I have a fever and can't keep this side of the argument going without someone arguing for tilesets.  All I see so far is people arguing for ascii and people arguing about arguing.  Where are the tileset guys?  Probably sucking their thumbs and cuddling their teddy bears.

Um... Yeah? There is nobody arguing for tilesets, so you guys are arguing against... nothing. Me? I spend my time arguing about arguing about ASCII (that wasn't a typo)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2012, 04:45:58 pm »

sarcasm-mode-activated

-snip-

Bro, don't mess with these conservative elitist folk. Just let them have their tea parties where they talk about their conservative ideas about how all these tilesets suck and how ASCII is great. These guys don't care about progressing forward and they expect everyone to use their shitty ASCII because they are too dumb to read tilesets. They don't have the intelligence to read both ASCII and tilesets like we do. What? You didn't know? We are born with the ability to read tilesets and they simply lack it. Why would they make such a fuss about it, rather than just fucking learning it then?

says the guy who still uses Windows XP

Seriously, I have a fever and can't keep this side of the argument going without someone arguing for tilesets.  All I see so far is people arguing for ascii and people arguing about arguing.  Where are the tileset guys?  Probably sucking their thumbs and cuddling their teddy bears.

Um... Yeah? There is nobody arguing for tilesets, so you guys are arguing against... nothing. Me? I spend my time arguing about arguing about ASCII (that wasn't a typo)
Oh, i'm sorry, where you come from they most have Elite conservatives and arch liberals. Here, its the othe way around.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2012, 04:51:42 pm »

You fools with your ASCII. I only use one tile to represent everything in the game.

N00bs need to learn to mono-SCII.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2012, 05:27:49 pm »

You fools with your ASCII. I only use one tile to represent everything in the game.

N00bs need to learn to mono-SCII.

Good news, I recently made a tileset for you :)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My wooden badge was delicious.

Thorik

• Bay Watcher
  • Inspector of Conspicuous Cheeto Consumption
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2012, 08:23:15 pm »

ascii is better, I like goblins to be g's.  I don't use the small little dwarf smily faces version, I use curses_square_16x16.png so that the dwarves have beards and a single tooth :D
I like sushi.

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2012, 09:22:54 pm »

ascii is better, I like goblins to be g's.  I don't use the small little dwarf smily faces version, I use curses_square_16x16.png so that the dwarves have beards and a single tooth :D

I think that's meant to be a tongue :D
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2012, 09:34:56 pm »

Oh, i'm sorry, where you come from they most have Elite conservatives and arch liberals. Here, its the othe way around.

Nice catch.

So eltisim = liberalism. I have never looked at it this way in LCS.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2012, 09:45:33 pm »

Nice catch.

That's because it's a mostly conservative refrain. "Liberals are a buncha high-minded hooligans out to change our way of life".
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2012, 09:55:17 pm »

Nice catch.

That's because it's a mostly conservative refrain. "Liberals are a buncha high-minded hooligans out to change our way of life".
Oooh! That's clever. Why conservatives are called "Arch" conservatives in the game then?

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2012, 12:52:48 pm »

The uber 3d engine with complex shaders, hdr, tesselation and physics is already there, in my imagination.

After getting used to ASCII, I don't see the characters anymore, but only the 3d world.

Looking at the ASCII is a process to read the source material used to build the 3d representation.

Puny graphic set are then useless.

Thorik

• Bay Watcher
  • Inspector of Conspicuous Cheeto Consumption
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2012, 01:08:00 pm »

I think that's meant to be a tongue :D

No I like ascii more, it's easier to imagine more with it than with more detailed graphic sets, because it'll show a dwarf with a red beard because he's a woodworker or something, but he really has a grey one or w/e, abstract is better
I like sushi.

MasterShizzle

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly in a fey mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2012, 01:22:06 pm »

ASCII = 256 characters, not all of which are even used

Graphics set = all the ASCII tiles, plus individual tiles for each dwarf profession, creature, and other race in the game, i.e. a lot more information conveyed.

I can play either way, but Mayday's tileset is what I "grew up" on while learning DF, so that's what I revert to whenever I need to get away from ASCII or another graphics set. ASCII just hurts my eyes after too long. After a while you feel like you're trying to read the fucking Matrix code, and in the meantime 94 goblins just popped by to say hello and you can't find the goddamn catapults because it's in ASCII, FUCKING ASCII.

ASCII was originally used for gaming out of necessity, not by choice. Just because it came first doesn't mean it's better. There's a REASON why most of humanity no longer lives as nomads eating roots and berries and shitting in the middle of a field while watching for pissed-off wild boars. Progress is cool. Try it. If you're honestly going to argue that codepage 437 is better, then you must be replying to this thread from a BBS program and running MS-DOS 5.0, because 6.1 is "just too newbish". Otherwise, you're a hypocrite. So a 16x16 PNG tile doesn't look like a turkey... so what? Neither does a fucking "t".

</rage>

So, how 'bout them U.S. elections? In my state we're putting through an initiative to legalize marijuana. It's pretty awesome.
Boss is throwing a tantrum!
MasterShizzle cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: interrupted by Boss

Minecraft's fine, your computer just sucks.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10