Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vampires and bleeding out?  (Read 2465 times)

Meistermoxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Vampires and bleeding out?
« on: October 31, 2012, 12:32:56 pm »

So, since vampires dont need air to live, does it make sence for them to die from bloodloss? And if oxygen is not keeping them alive, what is?
Perhaps they do need oxygen, they just dont get it trough the blood they suck, meaning they dont need that much blood.
Or am i overthinking fantasy?

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
Re: Vampires and bleeding out?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2012, 12:40:18 pm »

JimDale

• Bay Watcher
  • Not actually at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 01:47:20 pm »

Blood serves more purposes than just moving oxygen around, you know.

Meistermoxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 02:55:56 pm »

Blood serves more purposes than just moving oxygen around, you know.
Ah, makes sence then.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 09:06:50 pm »

As far as death fron exsanguination goes, respiration is pretty much all that matters.  Nutrient transfer is pretty insignificant in the course of minutes, and if a vampire doesn't need air I find it hard to believe they need other nutrients really... there's obviously no cellular metabolism going on.  Or not the normal sort, anyway.

Yeah, I guess it's overthinking it.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 11:36:56 pm »

Well maybe we need to think of the reason why vampires drink blood in the first place- commonly in older literature in fantasy, blood is associated with life, you know lifeblood, and it contains air- therefore containing the fantastical breath of life. I would assume vampires stay alive via the lifeblood they take from others- with a property in their blood allowing them to keep the life in the blood- perhaps duplicating ATP from only the original oxygen in the blood -via magic-? When they die of bleeding, the fact that they have magic biology-aiding process to make them be alive doesn't matter- they have no blood to make it work.

Dwarfotaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 07:52:43 am »

The problem with Vampires is that there's so many 'types' from various lore/myths, a bit like zombies.

Some Vampires drink blood to stay young, others need it to simply function, some are bloodless but still drink blood. Surely if a vampire was going to bleed out, they could just suck on the wound and become a perpetual blood dispenser.

Meistermoxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 12:14:12 pm »

The problem with Vampires is that there's so many 'types' from various lore/myths, a bit like zombies.

I would say that the mechanics of the vampires in DF should be dominant in this tread.
What exactly happens if you don't drink blood as a vampire? Can you "dehydrate" or do you just become slower?