Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: High Praise for Dwarf Fortress  (Read 1855 times)

Syreus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
High Praise for Dwarf Fortress
« on: November 01, 2012, 06:23:11 pm »

I never post in forums--ever. So please forgive me my trespasses, if any ;P
     I registered for this account only because I had to say something I want Bay 12 Games to hear. I was trying to describe to a friend why they should play Dwarf Fortress. They knew nothing about the game, so I had to speak almost entirely in metaphor, but it came out rather poetic and I think it's the best way I can thank Bay 12 for the great game they are making. Here's what I said to him:
     "You know that feeling you get as a gamer; it's like gold--like a heroine junky's first high. When I was a kid and played Zelda and Pokemon, my first games, I was higher than I've ever been. And like a junky, we gamers chase that high all of our lives. We know a good game when it captures us and it becomes more important than life itself. Few and far-between are the games that rekindle that inner fire, thus we find ourselves sinking our lives into game after game--milking them--to see if that golden fire can be stoked, somewhere in the depths of our souls, by a truly legendary game. Well, I found one. I feel like a kid again when I play Dwarf Fortress."

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: High Praise for Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 07:32:01 pm »

High praise indeed.

Also, Welcome!!

Also, also, this is Bay12, so someone will be along shortly to weaponize this.  Quite possibly with Magma.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 02:53:19 am »

High praise indeed.

Also, Welcome!!

Also, also, this is Bay12, so someone will be along shortly to weaponize this.  Quite possibly with Magma.

I agree with all of the above.

Especially the bit about magma.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

rex mortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 03:16:13 am »

All it would take is magma channels that spell out "High Praise" and then incorporating those into your death trap, aka fortress entrance.
Because death is peaceful and magma is lovely.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 05:14:48 am »

"You know that feeling you get as a gamer; it's like gold--like a heroine junky's first high. When I was a kid and played Zelda and Pokemon, my first games, I was higher than I've ever been. And like a junky, we gamers chase that high all of our lives. We know a good game when it captures us and it becomes more important than life itself. Few and far-between are the games that rekindle that inner fire, thus we find ourselves sinking our lives into game after game--milking them--to see if that golden fire can be stoked, somewhere in the depths of our souls, by a truly legendary game. Well, I found one. I feel like a kid again when I play Dwarf Fortress."

Very well spoken there. My compliments.
And welcome to the forums :D
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Lee72

• Bay Watcher
  • ranting at the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 12:48:12 pm »

I never post in forums--ever. So please forgive me my trespasses
The Bay12 forum has a cool bunch of people on, so try not to make it your last post ;)

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 02:29:38 pm »

So your new to Bay12, are you? Do you have any skills that would be usfull for, oh I don't know.... going into space or something equaly stupid?

If yes, please feel free to covertly redrect yourself here; http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113434.0

Warning; If you notify anyone of recieving this note, you will be killed. No exeptions. If you feel woozy within 24 hours of recieving this note, you have either been poisened by us, or you have been infected with radioactive resedue from the factory in which this was produced. If this happens, please feel free to die. Thank you.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 01:46:53 am by WaffleEggnog »
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.