Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: End of Season Sieges  (Read 891 times)

bdsorensen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
End of Season Sieges
« on: November 04, 2012, 03:59:41 pm »

In my current fortress, I've noticed something... Peculiar.

Sieges come at the last month of the season.

I only noticed this due to the last two years of my fort where sieges would come right after or right before caravans, and at no other times. I'm not sure if this is just a very large coincidence, or a theme. I guess I'm asking this; has anyone noticed something that either confirmed or dismissed this phenomenon?  If this is true, it'd be extremely useful, letting my dwarves go outside only during the first two months of every season and bringing them in in the last month. I haven't noticed anything about ambushes, so that's a problem, but outside of that...

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: End of Season Sieges
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 04:02:14 pm »

I've noticed the same thing as far back as 40d, I suspect sieges runs on same timing as caravans does with some loose days. At least it was for goblin siegers, I don't know how regular others are. Ambushers are the real killers, though! I -think- it's been noted that they comes around every month or so, however I have no source for it.

cvar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 04:09:53 pm »

I think it depends on the fort.  I've had one that was sieged every winter with ambushes throughout the year.  My current one sees no activity from Autumn to Late Spring when I suddenly begin getting snatchers and thieves (4-5 at at time D:) and so far ambushes appearing with the caravan.  Elves got slaughtered by the lone ambush and then the Humans murdered 4 at once.  They lost some wagons and then left, but STUFF WOO.

I'm wondering if the goblin civilization gets snowed in during Autumn and can't come.

bdsorensen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 04:12:47 pm »

The reason I said every season in the OP is I'm playing Genesis mod and managed to piss off every civilized race except for the dwarves, so I get sieged... Well, every season.

thrush_titan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 06:03:03 pm »

yep.  they come in the middle 10-20 days of the "late" season, just like caravans.  this is so that caravans and sieges arrive at roughly the same time and forces you to go on the offense to protect the traders instead of just buttoning up your fortress and pelting them with bolts

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 06:10:25 pm »

My winter's are incredibly silent; I rarely have any issues during that season.

It's usually also when I mass dump my old clothes into the atom smasher. My clothes go bad so quickly that it just piles up everywhere!!!
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 07:02:18 pm »

yep.  they come in the middle 10-20 days of the "late" season, just like caravans.  this is so that caravans and sieges arrive at roughly the same time and forces you to go on the offense to protect the traders instead of just buttoning up your fortress and pelting them with bolts

I dunno about yours, but my sieges arrive instead of caravans...
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

thrush_titan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 07:04:21 pm »

I dunno about yours, but my sieges arrive instead of caravans...
if the siege arrives earlier in the 10-day window than the caravan and you don't finish them off really quick, that's what happens.  Caravans won't enter if there's a siege.

bdsorensen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2012, 08:17:23 pm »

So is this an actual thing, not just a coincidence? If so, that should be on the wiki.