Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hammertime !!SCIENCE!! (updated)  (Read 2425 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Hammertime !!SCIENCE!! (updated)
« on: November 02, 2012, 09:51:34 pm »

After a lethal incident during plump helmet spawn pummeling, and for general dislike of it's grindiness, I decided to forego that method of toughening up my general population en masse.
So it's time to find a new method of toughening up my dwarves, without needing to micromanage it too much.

I have been periodically (say, every caravan season) ignoring export bans on a large scale, to give my dwarves extra happy thoughts from being released by a frustraded, but harmless hammerless hammerer.
Perhaps I can combine the happy to be free thought, with some seasonal hammertime to toughen up my civilian population. Ideally, some minor injuries would be good for my medics.

I just made me a +candy warhammer+, and started the testing carefully, with only 4 tables exported to the elves. Did I mention my Duke *likes* tables?
The result was 121 days jailtime for one dwarf, and 5 hammerstrikes each for the other 3 dwarves.

In eager anticipation, I watched as my hammerer first chained up 2 criminals, and then proceeded to his office to grab his candy hammer, with an execute criminal job.
He dealt 5 strikes, and each of the strikes managed to bruise the convict through clothing, but no more than that.
He then proceeded to chain up the third convict, that was still walking free, and continued to give him a beating. I thought.
Then came the cancellation job I've grown so fond of the past decades: "Hammerer cancels exectue criminal: No suitable weapon for execution"
He couldn't find the hammer. Because he was still hauling it.

After he had released the prisoner, he immediatly proceeded to free the other prisoner as well. After that, he dropped the hauled hammer in his office (stockpile).
I have made a second candy hammer. Now I have to wait for the next caravan. I hope that he will drop the first hauled hammer to pick up the second. In that case, 2 hammers are enough. If not, I'm afraid I'll need another 25 hammers at the least.

!!SCIENCE!! LOG:

The hammerer is mighty and agile. He is still only a dabbling hammerdwarf.
Quality of warhammer (if applicable) used will be noted per test, just after the convict name.
My civilian dwarves are wearing hoods, cloaks, trousers, dress/shirt, shoes. No gloves.

Test 1
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Test 2
Ah, thank goodness. The hammerer drops the hauled hammer as soon as he goes to pick up another available one. I need more than 2 hammers though, cause the second hammer was being hauled by another dwarf this time, when it was needed. My Duke decided to drop the export ban on tables 5 seconds before the traders left the map. I have only 3 convicts, where I planned on 20 this time. The 3 remaining convicts exported coffers, banned by the mayor.
Test 3
Test 4
Test 5
Test 6

EDIT: will update this post with test result highlights. More results can be read further down.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 10:29:17 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
Re: Hammertime !!SCIENCE!!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 09:56:26 pm »

Happens often enough to me. I spend hours looking for things only to realize they were in my hand or pocket the whole time.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Hammertime !!SCIENCE!! (updated)
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2012, 09:07:30 am »

Test 3

20 prohibited items were exported.
10 Dwarves have been sentenced to prison time, and 10 hammerings have been issued. One sentence of 4 hammerstrikes and 9 dwarves will get 3 strikes. Make that 8. The first was cancelled due to the hammerer being locked up in prison by the captain of the guard, while he was on his way to make his own arrest. Funny detail: as soon as he cancelled the chain animal job due to being in prison, the hammerer got the 'attend party' job. Which in turn was immediatly cancelled, because of being in jail. Test results will follow after his release :p

Notes: The hammerer finished punishing just before the eleven caravan arrived. He spent one season in prison, so I guess I can increase the number of punishments a bit before needing more hammerers. I will do so with the next caravan, cannot trade anymore to the elves at this time, they're already packing up. I might want to consider retiring an unbelievably agile military dwarf and make him the hammerer. Most time is spent chasing convicts around the fortress.
Also, a happy to be free thought takes a dwarf at least from quite content to ecstatic.
The hammerer gets a thought as well; "beat someone with a hammer lately". Don't know if it is positive or negative. My hammerer does not seem unhappy, but then, he's just been released from prison.

Test 4
Waiting for elves to leave with 20 tables
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 11:09:24 am by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2012, 11:19:33 am »

The hammerer gets a thought as well; "beat someone with a hammer lately". Don't know if it is positive or negative. My hammerer does not seem unhappy, but then, he's just been released from prison.

From older version ( 40d) it's counted as a positive thought. I don't know how strong it is, though.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 12:37:16 pm »

Test 4

When the hammerer finished his last punishment, the patient had already been cleaned, operated and sutured. Remains bone setting, wound dressing, and immobilisation. Very good training session for my medics.
The victim became very unhappy after he beating, despite the happy to be free thought. However, once he was brought to hospital and fed, back to ecstatic.

Test 5
Waiting for caravan

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2012, 08:01:46 pm »

Test 5

Special notes:
- dwarves that are taken from their beds, do not wake up when the hammerer drags them to prison. They don't even wake up when the hammerer whacks them on the head.
- it seems hammerer attacks disregard armor set via the military screen. Even though a convict was wearing full steel plate, the attacks bruised the muscle thought the leather cloak, no mention of armor blocking anything.

Test 6:
Waiting for caravan to leave map
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 08:07:32 pm by martinuzz »

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2012, 08:50:51 pm »

I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2012, 10:18:08 pm »

Test 6

Test 7: on hold, need to finish wooden floor mosaic. Will resume testing soon

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 10:21:06 pm »

- it seems hammerer attacks disregard armor set via the military screen. Even though a convict was wearing full steel plate, the attacks bruised the muscle thought the leather cloak, no mention of armor blocking anything.

Nope. Instead, the game is only naming the outermost armor layer, which happens to be the cloak. If the dwarf wasn't wearing the cloak then the steel armor would be named.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2012, 10:23:58 pm »

Well hammers do BLUNT damage which doesn't care if you are wearing +candy chestplate+ It will still
The hammerman Shatters the Right true ribs with his +silver warhammer+ through the +adamantine chestplate+, jamming the right true ribs through the heart, and tearing apart the heart.

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2012, 10:29:06 pm »

Urist mclegendary+5lyemaker is looking pale.
The lyemaker has given into the pain.
The Lyemaker has been struck down.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2012, 05:43:56 am »

A dwarf just made an artefact candy hammer. I am very tempted to let the hammerer use it.

nuker1110

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2012, 12:51:50 pm »

Do so, that Armok be pleased.

Don't artifact weapons have bonuses to hit/damage/something?

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2012, 04:35:57 pm »

It might be beneficial to have all your dwarves wearing armor (maybe even leather would work??) all the time, so that their armor use it trained when they get hammered.  This would of course slow down their movement speed, but getting hammered all the time certainly doesn't increase productivity, so you might not care about that...

If you try this, I suggest using Dwarf Therapist to verify that armor use really does get trained if armor is worn.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2012, 08:34:54 pm »

Armor gets trained as well when their civilian clothing blocks the hammer. Getting hammered trains armor user, and dodger.