Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Embarked on the border of two biomes, only seeing creatures/effects from one?  (Read 1935 times)

Dwarfotaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I somehow genned an area that was Joyous Wilds right next to Terrifying. I embarked here in hopes of seeing zombie/skeletons/terrifying mobs but also Joyous Wild creatures and maybe even Skeletal versions of the joyous wild creatures.

However, I've only seen Joyous Wild creatures and they've been relatively boring and left me alone. I also thought that things reanimated in a Terrifying biome now (or is that false?), which isn't happening.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile

Not every evil biomes are reanimating, same for evil weather and suchlike. Not all of them will zombie either.

Might be you've not had enough time to see them show up, or the joyous creatures are packing in and keeping the evil stuff out, since there're a limit to how many groups can be on map at once for creatures. A lot of people's observed similar issue with oceanic biomes since it have less creature per area than land does.

Dwarfotaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is there anyway to see what kind of Terrifying biome it is before you embark there?

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile

Embarking on two kinds of biomes, especially evil/good, is wonky. Sometimes you only get creatures from one biome.

Is there anyway to see what kind of Terrifying biome it is before you embark there?

I dont think so, If someone knows I would be happy to know. Perhaps there is a dfhack lua for it, like prospect all. One you could use before embarking. I doubt it though. I would like an evil biome with all the monsters but none of the huskifying clouds or sometimes ridiculus zombierespawning where you have to kill hair 7 times over before atomicsmashing it.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

bdsorensen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Embarking on two kinds of biomes, especially evil/good, is wonky. Sometimes you only get creatures from one biome.

I dont think so, If someone knows I would be happy to know. Perhaps there is a dfhack lua for it, like prospect all. One you could use before embarking. I doubt it though. I would like an evil biome with all the monsters but none of the huskifying clouds or sometimes ridiculus zombierespawning where you have to kill hair 7 times over before atomicsmashing it.

So far I've noticed 4 different kinds of evil biomes in my world; a biome where the undead roamed freely and dead body parts rise constantly, a biome where it rained putrid sludge constantly that caused a horrible syndrome that caused all body parts and organs to blister until the victims suffocate, a biome where it constantly rained dwarven blood with no side effects, and a biome where husking clouds roam every few months.

So I'm going to assume evil biomes can range quite dramatically from area to area. Just my contribution to !!SCIENCE!!.

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

i have to say, i got a good laugh out of the biome that rains dwarven blood with no side effects :P

just imagine what the caravans coming to visit must think :P

bdsorensen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

i have to say, i got a good laugh out of the biome that rains dwarven blood with no side effects :P

just imagine what the caravans coming to visit must think :P
It was pervasive rain too. The entire map was covered in the blood. Except during winter. Then it was covered in blood ice.