Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Marksdwarf Pillboxes  (Read 26844 times)

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Marksdwarf Pillboxes
« Reply #45 on: October 26, 2012, 08:11:53 pm »

Nether Cap, interestingly enough.

nether cap cheats. it would probably melt at that temperature, but it has a set temperature that ignores all other temperatures.

katwithk

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist likes kats for their calmness and logic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2012, 07:36:19 am »

Nah, more like it magically maintains temperatures.

If elves can gather wood supposedly without chopping down any trees, I can have temperature-stable fungiwood.
A tall, slender creature fond of coffee and computers.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2012, 07:55:56 am »

But does nethercap bridge protects the mechanism ( or for that matter, wooden mechanism are craftable in native DF? )?

Well, for that matter, I've realized I don't really know if nethercap products keeps it's stable temperature, hmm.

katwithk

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist likes kats for their calmness and logic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2012, 08:01:48 am »

Since dragons are not fliers, they're not an issue in the ragard of my pillboxes remaining isolated, though they could in theory melt down my front gates. The likelihood of them first being made into dragon-shaped colanders is much higher, as at this point all of my marksdwarves are elite.
A tall, slender creature fond of coffee and computers.

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2012, 01:30:44 pm »

Ive tried a similiar design, even with a roof above to keep them save from fliers, food and drink stockpiles and several bins with ammo in the center.
A single Elite-crossbow-Goblin messed them up good.
They couldnt shoot him because he appearently was out of range for them, 1 z-level below the pillbox, but he happily launched bolt after bolt into them, and killed 3 of my best.
My son, many speak of the honor in war.
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.
Preferrably from a distance.

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2012, 05:22:45 pm »

Training marksdwarves in dodging/shield user before giving them crossbows could really help their survivability. Especially when they run out of ammo.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

esran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2012, 02:13:50 pm »

all MY marksdwarves are legendary hammermen/armour user/shield user/ dodgers.
BTW, anyone else use quantum ammo stockpiles in order to make your markdwarves not run all around the map collecting bolts one by one?

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
  • You and what lightning fingers???
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2012, 08:16:47 am »

I prefer using a stockpile without bins which gives to a smaller one with bins enabled for my ammo stockpile.
I have a question i made a 4*1size watchtower WITH a granite block floor ceiling above my main entrance where all my say 20-30 marksdworfs trained. So obviously it
was quite congested. After say 3-4years most of them were suffering form cave adaptation!! what the hell! can anyone explain..its clearly says that the area inside the tower is considered as 'inside' 'light'...

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 05, 2012, 08:24:37 am »

I prefer using a stockpile without bins which gives to a smaller one with bins enabled for my ammo stockpile.
I have a question i made a 4*1size watchtower WITH a granite block floor ceiling above my main entrance where all my say 20-30 marksdworfs trained. So obviously it
was quite congested. After say 3-4years most of them were suffering form cave adaptation!! what the hell! can anyone explain..its clearly says that the area inside the tower is considered as 'inside' 'light'...
Inside doesn't prevent cave adaption, it just stop the progression while they're up there. Are they sleeping and doing break stuffs underground?

AlmightyOne

• Bay Watcher
  • You and what lightning fingers???
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2012, 09:11:04 am »

What 'inside' 'light' just prevents CA??didnt know that. I managed to make a ceiling for my surface area of my fort too for the civilians. They dont seem to have the effects of CA. These dworfs train forever in this pillbox except when they go to their rooms for sleep or eat. I thought 'light' was enough...so then how do i design a pillbox which prevents CA??make it without a ceiling??
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]