Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problem farming  (Read 1894 times)

Diseasedrobot

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Problem farming
« on: November 04, 2012, 11:18:15 pm »

Every time i make a farm plot the dwarves doesn't plant it entirely with seeds, i make the plots 12X12 or 15X10. Every single crop isnt filled entirely and the dwarves are skilled growers. Is there something wrong with the option i pick or is the plot too big?

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Problem farming
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 11:25:13 pm »

Do you have enough seeds?

What type of crop are you trying to make?

How many farmers do you have?

How much in a percentage wise do they plant? Is it just a section in a corner or are you talking of splotches here and there?
May the mass times acceleration be with you

geail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 11:33:51 pm »

1.  How do you get your plots so big?  (unless you use multiple plots to create one larger overall plot)
2.  How many seeds do you have?  Over time, my dwarves plant larger crops because they have more available seeds.  This tends to outpace population growth in most instances (with the primary exception being quarry bushes when I need oil early).
3.  Do you have enough dwarves to finish the task in time?  I generally have about 7 growers for my 4 10x10 farm plots

Diseasedrobot

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 11:35:17 pm »

Do you have enough seeds?

What type of crop are you trying to make?

How many farmers do you have?

How much in a percentage wise do they plant? Is it just a section in a corner or are you talking of splotches here and there?
Two farmers one is proficient grower and the other is novice, growing plump helmets, pig tail dimple cup and cave wheat. Underground, only 6 plots are planted out of 15X15

Diseasedrobot

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 11:55:40 pm »

1.  How do you get your plots so big?  (unless you use multiple plots to create one larger overall plot)
2.  How many seeds do you have?  Over time, my dwarves plant larger crops because they have more available seeds.  This tends to outpace population growth in most instances (with the primary exception being quarry bushes when I need oil early).
3.  Do you have enough dwarves to finish the task in time?  I generally have about 7 growers for my 4 10x10 farm plots
I just used the umhk. Not sure if we're talking about the same dimensions here. 1X1 is just one tile by one tile like the size of the dwarves. The way you're making it seems like i'm using the wrong kind of dimensions. and its just multiple plots in one area so i can grow multiple crops and i only have 2 guys planting them but after they do they just stop and laze around

Diseasedrobot

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 11:57:16 pm »

I just used the umhk. Not sure if we're talking about the same dimensions here. 1X1 is just one tile by one tile like the size of the dwarves. The way you're making it seems like i'm using the wrong kind of dimensions. and its just multiple plots in one area so i can grow multiple crops and i only have 2 guys planting them but after they do they just stop and laze around
Oh wait i'm being an idiot yeah its 10X10 lol

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 12:43:01 am »

If you make a farm 12 x 12 tiles big, you'll need 144 seeds. Don't cook underground plants, because you don't get any seeds for that. Instead, brew them. This way, you'll have your 144 seeds in a few seasons. Also, make sure that only your farms harvest by the standing orders. (o-h)

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 03:09:12 am »

One easy way to check how many unplanted seeds of each type you have is to use z menu, select kitchens.  Even if you've never had a bookkeeper, everything cookable is suddenly listed for you with exact numbers.

Conveniently (if I remember right, cant check atm) forbidden things are not cookable, and are not visible.  Any seed that cannot be cooked also cannot be planted.

So, if you're trying to plant plump helmets, use your kitchen menu to see if you have any seeds.

Assuming you do not have any seeds, but do have plenty of plump helmets, then all you need to do is 'use' them properly to liberate the seeds for planting.  Brewing might be just the trick.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 03:48:21 am »

Of another note, one dwarf can manage between 25 and 50 tiles of farming plot before the first planted plant sprouts up for pigtail and plump helmet, between 42 and 84 for everything else. They can plant more if they're legendary and can walk fast enough, but that's still the limit for large plot and few farmers.

Then there're the 200 seed cap, which means that you have to make seeds as fast as they can plant it, and can't really have more than 2 full sized (10x10 is max size for one ) farming plot for each type of plant, 15x10 might just be perfect since it allow you to constantly plant without having to wait for processing to catch up for the first batch of planting.

You might not have enough seed because you didn't processed enough of the plants. Or if they're always stopping after exactly 6 plots, you should k over the plot and check to see if you've accidentally dug a skylight, they won't plant past spot where it's lit up.

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 04:51:42 am »

Traditionally i make my 4 plots 3x5 because i fertilized at the beginning and 15 is a quite perfect size if you plan to do this (4x-1).
My son, many speak of the honor in war.
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.
Preferrably from a distance.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2012, 08:27:45 am »

I've got eight 10-tile plots belowground, and two 10-tile plots above. So in total, I have 100 tiles being planted, which is more than my 175 dwarves need. 12x12 or 10x15 as in the OP, is way too big.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Diseasedrobot

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 12:00:24 pm »

Appreciated the much helpful tips, thanks