Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarfs just won't pick up bolts!  (Read 4307 times)

GriwMF

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarfs just won't pick up bolts!
« on: November 04, 2012, 09:31:20 am »

Most of my Marksdwarfs are walking around with empty quivers! Don't know what to do. Try to make stockpile with ammo and remove it, so ammoo just lying on the ground. Don't help. Any suggestions? There is a save https://docs.google.com/open?id=0ByNhlnSuDxUCTTkyVUtudUI3VjQ Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 09:35:11 am by GriwMF »

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfs just won't pick up bolts!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 09:36:53 am »

Did you assign them bolts in the military screen? (m->f)
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

Thudde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 10:43:13 am »

I looked at your fort, and see a couple reasons. 

First, dwarfs will only pick up bolts from a stockpile (I think).  Your ammo stockpile is set to only hold bronze bolts.  You have a few hundred bronze bolts, but they are virtually all forbidden since they were fired at archery targets.  Either change the settings on the stockpile, or look in the channel under your archery room and un-forbid the bolts (use "d-b-c" to reclaim them).  Unfortunately, I don;t think dwarfs will re-stack the bolts, so each archer might only pick up one.  I would make more bolts and melt down or sell the singles. 

Second, most of your archers don't have quivers.  You should go into the stocks screen and unforbid the dozens of quivers lying around your map or make some more. 

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 10:53:25 am »

Dwarves will pick up bolts anywhere they can path to, what they can't pick up is forbiddened stuff ( I think they sometimes get claimed despite the status ). Stockpiles does makes it more convinent to place where they are, bin even more so. Dwarves might not restack bolts, but they're perfectly happy sticking a whole bunch of single-bolts into their quivers, assuming they have one.

I think the limit is 25 bolts to one quiver, for in-fortress purpose, I like to assign around 300 bolts to a squad and allow them to use anything they can get their hand on, metal variance don't really affect their deadliness too much.

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 11:14:19 am »

I on the other hand assign them "copper bolts" instead of "metal" because that leads to unbearable "equipment mismatch" spam in my forts... once i assign them 250 bolts of a defined material, it works out.
Reason i dont use bone bolts, since every animal produces different bolts, and they spam like theres no tomorrow...
My son, many speak of the honor in war.
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.
Preferrably from a distance.

CharlesMcFist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 01:12:26 pm »

Did you unforbid the bolts that the Marksdwarves fire? I recently had that problem, until I looked and saw all of the bolts were forbidden.

GriwMF

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 10:25:12 am »

I think I have some unforbidden quivers and ammo. I just asign commander for squad(old one was dead), and recreate ammunition in m-f. Now they seems to work much better

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 10:35:36 am »

I think I have some unforbidden quivers and ammo. I just asign commander for squad(old one was dead), and recreate ammunition in m-f. Now they seems to work much better

Yeah, not having a commander for squad does lead to issues in organizing and controlling it. Dwarves aren't the smartest so nobody gets promoted to commander :D