Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Solar War: X-Com in Space  (Read 19497 times)

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Solar War: X-Com in Space
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2012, 02:36:46 am »

So am I, so I was sharing what I figured out. :)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2012, 07:27:22 pm »

just got this, how do you colonize planets and stuff?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2012, 07:29:48 pm »

Iirc, you need the colonization tech or whatev' (you get to it via the moon exploitation line or whatever), then something that can build (a different colony) within the 30 day supply limit of your warp tech. Yes, that means you can't colonize anything except the moon until you've got warp.

Once you've got all that, you build the colony on one of your existence production-capable colonies/outposts (like Earth), target what you want to colonize in the lil'pop up thing that pops up, and it'll mostly do the rest.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2012, 07:32:44 pm »

so you watch percentage go for quite a while  :P

thanks, I'll search in the research the relevant stuff.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2012, 07:38:45 pm »

Yeah, pretty much. Easy suggestion to make is to go into your factions menu or whatever that is and ramp fleet resupply and repair way, way down (Like... teens. Maybe twenties. Possibly single digits.) for a while, and possibly undercut your production and/or training a bit (I wouldn't suggest the latter, though.) once you've got a starbase, and then shove everything that frees up into research. It speeds things up quite a lot.
Ask not!
Ask!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2012, 07:50:37 pm »

duh I saw everything at 99 and I mistaken them for percentage

What good is having separate defence fleet compared to one big fleet?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 02:28:05 am by LoSboccacc »

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2012, 04:10:58 am »

ptw

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2012, 12:21:27 pm »

Great game, now if only I could win.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
All that's left is to put a few BCs at Makemake and Haumea and sit there and stare down the Alien's ship build up.
Or start a new game on expert or something.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2012, 06:30:52 pm »

is there any reason to build settlement and outpost?

nothing on colonies seems to aid scale the economy, only add up the maintenance cost.

am I missing something?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2012, 06:50:25 pm »

Even in the demo there's tech (hydroponic farms or something is the start of the line, iirc, though there may be more) that can turn colonies, at least, into net positives in terms of production, though outposts, yeah, are necessarily upkeep drains. Beyond that, you've got extending the distance your fleet can go (resupply) and mineral extraction, and sometimes outposts are necessary to get colonies around the sun shadow or whatever, I guess. Plus the whole denying the planets/moons to the enemy part. Much easier to keep them off when you can build defenses, yeah.
Ask not!
Ask!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2012, 02:07:26 am »

What weapon for mid game destroyers and smaller craft?

On the laser line there is a big gap between the fusion blaster and the small fusiin laser to the point that a destroyer output becomes useless within an engagement.

What do you do with those ships hulls? Even as dedicated point defences they aren't as cost effective as using hardpoints on a heavy cruiser that you can't fill within the heat dissipation budget

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2012, 02:14:03 am »

What weapon for mid game destroyers and smaller craft?

On the laser line there is a big gap between the fusion blaster and the small fusiin laser to the point that a destroyer output becomes useless within an engagement.

What do you do with those ships hulls? Even as dedicated point defences they aren't as cost effective as using hardpoints on a heavy cruiser that you can't fill within the heat dissipation budget
What's wrong with fusion lasers?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2012, 02:18:19 am »

They give me just 5 sec worth before overheating and shutting down the average destroyer,

And they won't fit within a corvette space when accounting for a power source.

Nothing wrong with them but it is just that I would like some cheap weapon platform for the mid game too, instead you get those 1500+ damage, shield ignoring lazors which obsolete anything smaller than a heavy cruiser

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2012, 02:28:55 am »

Hmm. What about missiles (I am curious as to whether the aliens use point defense later on)?

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2012, 02:36:07 am »

I agree that balance is a bit wonky - I think the designer is fond of having only a few weapon systems in the chassis, as the new technology you research at the same time as a new chassis is almost impossible to mount into your existing ships. I tend to use an array of small fusion lasers and two anti-missile batteries on my mid-game destroyers - anything newer then the small/medium fusion lasers simply require too much power/heat/space.

In essence, there's no purpose to smaller ships once you can build bigger - Light Cruisers are the only exception, because their build space is so severely limited by the jump drive. Heavy Cruisers remedy this, though Destroyers might remain useful as a cheap swarm ship.

In the full game I was playing, the AI hit my fleet at mars with 15 light cruisers. After it lost that fight, it really just couldn't muster any sort of countering fleet again. It took something like three years before it could attempt to raid my outlying colonies again.

Missiles: Yes they do, generally anti-missile missiles rather then point defense energy weapons. Later in the game, even fast missiles tend to take too long - I've generally destroyed the enemy fleet by the time the missiles would have reached their target.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6