Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Solar War: X-Com in Space  (Read 19529 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Solar War: X-Com in Space
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2012, 07:46:38 am »

Hard to tell as I don't use scanner - but they were storming with fleets of heavy cruisers, if that helps in knowing where on the tech three they are.

Cironian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2012, 07:19:33 pm »

Little update to that problem: I've just release an update that changes the AI research priorities. With that, the AI gets point defenses within a few months. Also shuttles now get higher target priority than before, provided there are enough shuttles underway that they might have success when boarding.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2013, 11:46:19 am »

Just remembered about this and it is now 1.0

Will try. Anyone is playing?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2013, 12:01:24 pm »

Thanks for the reminder, I intended to come back to this

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2013, 07:08:23 pm »

... huh. Apparently there's been a time limit added to the demo, instead of just an upper tech level boundary. Somewhat annoying.

Game remains... neat enough, insofar as the demo goes. Not something I'd buy at 20 USD, but alright.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 11, 2013, 02:26:02 am »

I played 1.0 through to the final mission on the middle difficulty. (Expert, was it?) It was a fun run, and the mars events were amusing, though potentially game-ending if they go wrong.

The final battle, however, is very badly tuned. I went in with my entire fleet, which has long been 3-5x more then necessary to defeat any of the enemy attacks and got obliterated. The only way I saw to win that battle would have involved spending ten in-game years waiting for critical but hard to mine resources to come available to make battleships with the best equipment possible. Nothing smaller and nothing less advanced would have a chance of surviving more then a round or two.

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 11, 2013, 04:00:23 pm »

I've enjoyed Solar Wars quite a bit. I, too, ran into last-battle tuning issues, though not as major as the above poster's. I also appreciate that there are several viable tactics for winning battles once you widen your tech options.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 11, 2013, 05:08:54 pm »

Outside the final battle, I do agree that I enjoy that battles are fairly well balanced, though the AI seems to be rather vulnerable to boarding attacks, outside of tech thresholds to counter the crew increase in larger vessels.

Cironian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 12, 2013, 02:04:53 am »

Hi, I made this game, so first: Thanks for playing it all the way through to the end!

Did you get to pick a bonus tech before the battle or did you go the alternate path (which ends at the "Project Backdoor" tech)? The second one is a lot more difficult than the first and is basically a challenge path.

The easier route leads through
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If you go that way you get a pick of three ways to fight the battle, each giving a big bonus to one way of handling the fight. The fight is basically balanced for you using one of those options.

Also, as you noticed, fast ships are a necessity in that battle. If you scrap most of your slow ships at Earth, you get their resources back to build new ships with. That should be enough to build a specialized fleet for the final battle.

If it still doesn't work, please let me know where you stand resource and tech-wise. If you are in a weird spot balancing-wise I'd like to look at it; maybe I need to tweak something.

On a side-note: Half the feedback I get about boarding is that it's too weak, the other half tell me it's a bit OP. Must be about right then. :P

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 12, 2013, 02:27:44 am »

Hi Cironian!

I went ahead and researched everything, but I was taking advantage of the easier route.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I don't have the save game from that route on this computer, I'll have to see if I can find it back when I get home later.

Geneoce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2013, 08:08:03 am »

ptw
I don't care that the vacuum people are promising a blowjob machine in the future. I'll buy it then if they ever deliver.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2016, 11:15:44 pm »

*Engage necromancy*
10%...
23%...
56%...
73%...
99%...
*Thread resurrected*

So, I got this game over the holidays, and I've run into the problem that no matter how well I do, The Earth Governments just decide they hate me and leave 1 by 1 (or, by the end, in small groups) Last time I managed to hold out long enough to clean all of the Solar System (except Eris) of bugs, before they did that. And then I still lost because all of my ships were out of supply.
What am I doing wrong?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2016, 02:21:26 am »

Hm... good question. I haven't played for a while, but all the way up to the endgame, I never had my rating tank enough that nations left. Generally they were relatively happy with the slaughter of aliens and the fact that I didn't care which officers they took from me, so I never bothered saying 'no' to anything except for the demand that the character admiral become a desk jockey.

Granted, I never stopped for the ~20 years it'd take to build a fleet that had a snowball's chance against the mothership.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 15, 2016, 08:42:12 am »

Granted, I never stopped for the ~20 years it'd take to build a fleet that had a snowball's chance against the mothership.
Well, from what I hear in the thread you can get some bonus tech from aliens that makes the battle bearable.
Also, I'm wondering if you played on veteran (which the game says you're supposed to) or novice (which is the default when starting a game.) Maybe I should just play on that.  :-\
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2016, 09:09:29 am »

Well, from what I hear in the thread you can get some bonus tech from aliens that makes the battle bearable.

Lies! I have a megaton fleet, and the Final Boss ship keeps tearing through it like a tiger through a baby lamb. A cybernetic tiger, that breathes fire and shoot lasers from it's eyes.

So, yeah... building myself some Battleships.
My question however is this: the game comes with 1 scenario, is there a way to make more?

Edit: And in response to my question from January the way to keep all your funding nations happy is not to piss any of them off. Heh. Basically they will badmouth you to each other, no matter how well you do, so you can just restart once the first one goes "enemy".
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 09:13:15 am by a1s »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6