Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Solar War: X-Com in Space  (Read 19367 times)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Solar War: X-Com in Space
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2017, 03:47:55 pm »

RISE FROM YOUR GRAVE!

Someone posted about this game in another thread - I believe I played some of the demo ages ago but was never sure I wanted to pay for it - it seemed like one of those games that was cool but didn't have a great deal of meat on it and at the price I wasn't convinced. It also seemed from what I could tell to have a sort of linear story instead of being a grand strategy type game, which seemed odd.

Could someone let me know what it's like/if it's worth playing?
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2017, 04:06:46 pm »

Probably say it's worth it if a decent sale pops up. 20 bucks is maybe sketchy, but five, ten... wouldn't be worried about not getting money's worth at that price.

Play wise... there's still a demo, and it gives a pretty good showing. Full thing's basically just that with more time and more stuff that's mostly of the same sorts of mechanics. Story is fairly linear, mostly because the progression largely is. End up more or less working your way through bands of the solar system, as various things constrain you ability to build somethin' that'll reach the next batch of distance. Kinda' samey, kinda' slim on content, but still fairly neat. Just probably not the most amazing thing in the world, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 14, 2017, 04:13:50 pm »

Probably say it's worth it if a decent sale pops up. 20 bucks is maybe sketchy, but five, ten... wouldn't be worried about not getting money's worth at that price.

Play wise... there's still a demo, and it gives a pretty good showing. Full thing's basically just that with more time and more stuff that's mostly of the same sorts of mechanics. Story is fairly linear, mostly because the progression largely is. End up more or less working your way through bands of the solar system, as various things constrain you ability to build somethin' that'll reach the next batch of distance. Kinda' samey, kinda' slim on content, but still fairly neat. Just probably not the most amazing thing in the world, heh.

Thanks - good to know!
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2017, 04:31:37 pm »

What you have to be careful for is the final boss- it's massively overtuned and has a plethora of bullshit abilities that show up nowhere else in the game. The first time you go against it you WILL lose, and its game over for losing, so make sure to save first.

I honestly have never managed to beat the final boss. I think the creator built it to be a challenge for himself... having designed all the abilities and knowing the intended counters for them. For anyone else, you're massively screwed.

That said, I agree that its a fun enough game up to that point for 5-10 dollars.

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2017, 12:33:06 am »

What you have to be careful for is the final boss- it's massively overtuned and has a plethora of bullshit abilities that show up nowhere else in the game. The first time you go against it you WILL lose, and its game over for losing, so make sure to save first.

I honestly have never managed to beat the final boss. I think the creator built it to be a challenge for himself... having designed all the abilities and knowing the intended counters for them. For anyone else, you're massively screwed.

That said, I agree that its a fun enough game up to that point for 5-10 dollars.

Mostly this. I also hit the boss like a brick wall, and I was disappointed by what the game could have been. Unfortunately, there's not "enough"; the tech is pretty much designed around just using the largest ships available, and once you're past, say, destroyers, you stop getting new weapons that can fit in a destroyer hull. Ship design could have been incredible, but really needed more balance work.

What's there is great, though, and I thought the system of balancing political pressure vs efficiency was a fun idea that made managing your force much more interesting.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]