Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: pastures, burrows and civilian alert  (Read 4234 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
pastures, burrows and civilian alert
« on: November 05, 2012, 09:00:20 pm »

I just noticed that half of my sheep population is mysteriously starving, even though they are standing in a pasture with lots of dense cave moss. I just found out why:
If you set a civilian alert, bound to a burrow, then all animals penned in pastures that are not in that burrow will stop grazing as soon as you activate the alert. Don't know if this is intended, or if this should go on the bug tracker.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: pastures, burrows and civilian alert
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 09:03:47 pm »

Oh wow, maybe that should be put into the magmawiki as a note. Is it definite that the one -inside- of the burrow still eats? I don't uses alerts, but that'd be valuable to know.

Sounds more like a bug of conflict between staying in pasture and the feature of being told to head to the burrow on alert.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 09:44:26 pm »

Yes, the ones inside the burrow definitly still eat. The green line is where the burrow ends. All the brown down arrows above it are starving sheep.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 11:02:43 pm »

I dunno, but shouldn't a dwarf with animal care be able to reach them all.  If all the animal caretakers are in alert mode, how are they to reach the animals outside the alert burrow? 
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 11:07:58 pm »

This looks like a bug, if only because they aren't doing either of the two sensible things; moving to the burrow or eating.

I'll post it to Mantis for you.

EDIT: Here it is: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=6240

Go ahead and post a save if you can. It'll give them a head start on diagnosing the problem since they won't have to do the setup themselves.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 11:16:47 pm by Drazinononda »
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 05:25:18 am »

I dunno, but shouldn't a dwarf with animal care be able to reach them all.  If all the animal caretakers are in alert mode, how are they to reach the animals outside the alert burrow?

It was a recently dug out addition. I just forgot to add it to the burrow. But what do you mean by animal caretakers? The animal care job does nothing. And dwarves will only feed caged animals, not pastured animals.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 05:27:53 am »

It was a recently dug out addition. I just forgot to add it to the burrow. But what do you mean by animal caretakers? The animal care job does nothing. And dwarves will only feed caged animals, not pastured animals.

I thought they only fed pets, not any caged animals?

That said, animal caretaking job does nothing currently, as far as I can tell, outside of helping animals but that might be just 40d memory.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 03:12:20 pm »

Seemed logical.  *blush*  You know more than me.  So animal handling is just like alchemy?  There but not there8)  Learning all the time.  Thanks.

"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 03:14:28 pm »

That said, animal caretaking job does nothing currently, as far as I can tell, outside of helping wounded animals but that might be just 40d memory.

Fixed myself, I forget to insert that it was helping -wounded- animals, oops. I've never had animals survive very well even back in 40d against hazards, so I've never tried anything systematic.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 03:39:02 pm »

In 40d or even before that, animal caretaking worked as follows: when an injured animal was standing next to a dwarf with animal caretaking enabled, the dwarf would gain skill. This was especially noticable on animal trainers, for it would be followed around by every single animal it trained that had not been assigned to another dwarf. There were no pens, pastures or burrows yet, back then. The animal wouldn't heal though. Toady removed it from the game until it is really needed and works properly

SeymoreGlass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 11:39:32 pm »

This should definitely be in the magmawiki, and more than likely deserves a bug report. Good to know.
The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration (waiting on someone to sig that)

Harpya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 04:23:43 am »

Sorry to bring up this old thread!

A simple question:
Regarding this bug: Will the animals start eating again once the alert is lifted? Or are they doomed the moment you ring the alert the first time? Thanks!

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2014, 08:22:29 pm »

Harpya gestures.
The thread shudders and begin to move!
:P

Yes, they go back to eating after the alert is lifted.
In a time before time, I had a name.