Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23

Author Topic: Elite - Dangerous  (Read 52016 times)

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
Elite - Dangerous
« on: November 06, 2012, 03:20:25 am »

I cannot tell you how much I'm SQUEEEEING for this.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1461411552/elite-dangerous?

Do not fail me Braben.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Elite - Dangerous
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 03:45:39 am »

I'm gonna predict failure.

Their initial funding goal is to be the 10th most funded project on kickstarter.

Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2012, 03:48:42 am »

So it's Eve?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012, 03:56:54 am »

So it's Eve?
No, it's twitch based. Kinda trying to do the same thing as Infinity: Quest for Earth, only with two orders of magnitude more staff, which means we might be able to see the result before the cold death of the universe.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012, 04:03:18 am »

I'm gonna predict failure.

Their initial funding goal is to be the 10th most funded project on kickstarter.

You're underestimating just how huge and influential Elite was, back in its day. There's been a massive hunger for an "Elite IV" for years.

They've also given themselves 2 months to reach the target. (Although any real advantage in this has yet to be established. Most funding usually comes at the beginning and the end.)

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2012, 04:06:38 am »

I was just thinking about Elite and how there should be a remake last night. I am not disappointed.

Also "Be an Elite supporter, and get a digital code when the game is released to apply a transferrable decal to your ship, unique to you, the game’s backers
Estimated delivery: Mar 2014"

How does this work if you don't have the game?
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 04:14:04 am by justinlee999 »

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2012, 04:15:40 am »

My main concern at the moment is the lack of any video, even if it's just David Braben talking to the camera. Some kind of concept art would also be welcome, to indicate at least some level of investment and belief on their part.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2012, 04:30:58 am »

Have backed but that is a high target.

Hopefully it works out though, elite was a wonderful game, as was frontier.

So it's Eve?

Unfortunately Eve is not elite... I so wished it was.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2012, 04:32:33 am »

My main concern at the moment is the lack of any video, even if it's just David Braben talking to the camera. Some kind of concept art would also be welcome, to indicate at least some level of investment and belief on their part.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20187897

BBC news interview with DB

So it's Eve?

Unfortunately Eve is not elite... I so wished it was.

and yes, this.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 04:35:16 am by Vicomt »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2012, 05:09:54 am »

I have owned in their time each of the Elite titles on PC for the last and on other system for the previous 2 and what was the major shock provided by the Elite serie to me as a player was the change that occured from arcade to newtonian physics between the 1st and 2nd title in the serie.

I loved this change so much that i always have difficulty playing some space game with arcade physics now, and probably why i'm so addicted to Orbiter since a few years.

I hope Braben can manage to deliver a brillant title, but i think it will be a difficult time for the new Elite, as while in its era the serie was so breakgrounding and unique, now there are a lot of titles using Elite element and that added a lot to the genre.

But more competition in a genre is always better for the players that have then more choice and force then the competitor to improve their games.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 07:17:43 am »

I am not optimistic for this one either, despite being a huge fan of the series. No video. No assets or concepts. A projected target date of March 2014 probably means December 2014 in dev terms at the best.

The whole thing seems to be a half-assed shot in the dark to see if they have the support, not the strategic pitch a professional studio should know how to assemble.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 08:23:34 am »

Well, this was done by a European group, which due to a Kickstarter shift has much more ability to use the website. The downside to that at the moment, of course, is that almost none of the developers IN Europe have run a successful Kickstarter campaign yet, and I imagine many of them are quite desperate with alot of angry publisher companies running around having screaming fits of coniptions about Kickstarter in general.

So while it may not look good now, so long as the developer doesn't go out of business, even if this one fails, they can start again, and do it right.  8)
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 09:44:17 am »

This might be a possible project. The man is a legend which explains the large amount of funding in just day 1, especially the high tier rewards being sold out or close to, of course there is some strategy in that as well as they have pledge £20 for digital copy of game for first 10,000, then it goes to £30 (although there are some who pledged that from the start).

It's an already established game studio with a decent track record and the kickstarter funding even if unsuccessful can show interest in the game so publishers are willing to put up money for it

Of course my own dilema is this or Chris Roberts game.

Braben vs Roberts, procedural vs fixed content.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2012, 09:46:52 am »

I want another Elite... especially if it follows the Frontier/FFE gameplay model. (especially newtonian physics) But damn do I have a sore spot for David Braben.

I'm actually unable to find a whole lot of current info on the dispute between Ian Bell and David Braben. But links to an archived faq and one interview stating their positions gives at least some idea of the story.

http://www.iancgbell.clara.net/elite/archive/b9101100.htm David's side.

http://www.iancgbell.clara.net/elite/archive/b5081501.htm Ian's side.

Now, it's impossible to say which is more accurate, but the way Braben handled the entire thing was just lousy and Bell does seem to be a bit more forthcoming with details, if nothing else.

Frontier Developments has also not produced a single game similar to Elite in any way in over a decade.

On their list I see, Frontier: First Encounters, of course. A few bland shooters, and then a string of either add-ons or sequels to other series as well as a few low quality adventure games. Kinectimals being their latest endeavour that actually reached the light of day.

Now, the original Elite was created by two people in a college dorm. Frontier Developments now has, according to wikipedia, somewhere around 200 employees. It's likely that someone in there has the knowledge and desire to make a true sequel to Elite. I can even guess that a lot of people specifically sought out that company to work for in the hopes they'd be able to do just that. I just don't know if they'll be able to actually do the job with Braben in the way.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2012, 10:29:08 am »

I would be more interested in this if it was a single player game. So far I cannot tell what it is supposed to be. Not Eve, sure. I would love a procedurally generated X with a proper interface and more focus on the fighting part.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 23