Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 23

Author Topic: Elite - Dangerous  (Read 52047 times)

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
Re: Elite - Dangerous
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2012, 10:41:30 am »

“Elite” has gone down in history as one of the most successful games of the 1980s.

More like "One of the only games in the 80s."  ::)
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2012, 10:57:02 am »

I would be more interested in this if it was a single player game. So far I cannot tell what it is supposed to be. Not Eve, sure. I would love a procedurally generated X with a proper interface and more focus on the fighting part.

It does appear to have single player, or at least the multiplayer is more an invite style one. Have to admit it's not massively clear how the limiting works.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2012, 11:00:28 am »

I would go for this, but the only thing they really put on the page is text and a single picture.  I mean, it seems like it could be a scam to be honest.  I wish they would post something up, since they made it sound like they had been working on the game for awhile.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2012, 11:01:33 am »

I would fund Elite IV. I'm not looking for a multiplayer elite. Bummer.
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2012, 11:12:23 am »

But I hope it receives its funding. Then receives good single player reviews. And then I will buy it.
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2012, 07:24:00 pm »

I'm gonna predict failure.

Their initial funding goal is to be the 10th most funded project on kickstarter.

You're underestimating just how huge and influential Elite was, back in its day. There's been a massive hunger for an "Elite IV" for years.

They've also given themselves 2 months to reach the target. (Although any real advantage in this has yet to be established. Most funding usually comes at the beginning and the end.)

how huge and influential Elite was, back in its day

Elite was, back in its day

was

Fans of Yesteryear doesnt mean Fans today. And Space Ship Games arent exactly in short supply.

I wasnt making my assignment based on the games supposed fan base, but on the platform itself. It starting goal is to be the 10th most project on kickstarter.

----------------------
Well, this was done by a European group, which due to a Kickstarter shift has much more ability to use the website. The downside to that at the moment, of course, is that almost none of the developers IN Europe have run a successful Kickstarter campaign yet, and I imagine many of them are quite desperate with alot of angry publisher companies running around having screaming fits of coniptions about Kickstarter in general.

So while it may not look good now, so long as the developer doesn't go out of business, even if this one fails, they can start again, and do it right.  8)

Do you have any citation at all on Publishers views on crowd sourcing in general? There are crowd sourcing sites in Europe other then kickstarter.

Majority of the games seeking crowd sourcing, either couldnt get publishers interested or never sought publishers in the first place.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 07:27:20 pm by MrWiggles »
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2012, 07:28:53 pm »

Dear naysayers:
£283,986 pledged of £1,250,000 goal.
58 days to go.

It's going to get funded.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2012, 10:11:06 pm »

Looking at all the high quality games we at Frontier have produced, from RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 to Kinectimals to LostWinds to Disneyland Adventures, I think the risk of non-delivery is small.
lol ok

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2012, 01:54:56 am »

I... really don't trust Braben at all.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2012, 04:24:08 am »

Personally I have mixed feelings about this.

There was a time three or four years ago when I would regularly check for news on Elite IV, which everybody kinda knew was 'in development' and reportedly would have been completed 'after The Outsider' due to tech development issues or somesuch.

I think it makes a lot of sense, from a capital risk point of view, for Frontier to be running with the Kickstarter method, but there is the potential for it to be viewed a bit cynically - and I don't know really whether or not I support it. It smacks of treating the game almost entirely as a capitalist venture. I want to be convinced that it is more than that.

As time has passed I'm not convinced the world needs another Elite anymore, and at this moment I am not convinced we will get a modern Elite which represents all the crazy things that the first one stood for.

What should it look like? What was it about Elite, and Frontier, that made them so 'good'?

They will need to do a lot more work on creating innovative, imaginative procedural worlds - looking back on the trading mechanics and it was not much more than a grind, masked by the magic of this free, limitless world. And combat was pretty unwieldy and uninteresting - but without comparison at the time they existed.

I just think if a new Elite is to be a 'success' in terms of game design, or creatively or whatever you want to call it - it will need to recapture some of that 'magic' of the first two (I kinda liked the third as well, but that was a bit of a f***-up if truth be told).

How does a team of 200 go about creating that? With a clever bit of networking tech?

They don't need to do too much to convince me that this WILL be a success, but I am still looking for a little bit of convincing that they can create a huge, believable, interesting procedural universe - not just that I could play with a mate.

And that concludes an exercise in saying very little with lots of words   :-\

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2012, 04:46:15 am »

Dear naysayers:
£283,986 pledged of £1,250,000 goal.
58 days to go.

It's going to get funded.

Actually when I saw it was only at £300k after 24 hours I figured it wasn't going to get funding. The majority of people who back this are more than likely going to be people like me that remember and love the original (and the sequels) and as there is a significant amount of publicity around the game most of those will have already backed it.

Maybe if they actually have something from the skunk-works projects to show and put some content on the kickstarter it might drum up others too, but for now I'm assuming it failed.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

alexpoysky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2012, 07:47:48 am »

AAAAND here we go. Kickstart crazy. I'm really skiddish about it at this point, I mean kickstart went from funding minor projects with humble means to getting HUGE name studios involved for a quick cash-grab.

it's getting to the point where peopel are paying into dreams that pander to the masses. Elite IV, tell me that the game is independant, or that it NEEDS funding. Guys, it's ELITE IV for christ sake, the creator would literally just have to send an e-mail to almost any large game dev studio and they would invest millions into it. Why do they choose to kickstart? For money, it's a cash grab, plain and simple, and once they have the prototype down they'll mosey on over to a dev house who will double down on their payment to get their hands on it, bam, 10 million dollars extra lining their pockets.

I'm not making this a complaint against elite IV, it's a complaint against the way people are taking kickstarter for granted nowadays.

Poysky Productions

hanni79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2012, 08:01:29 pm »

I also think it's a bit strange for Elite: Dangerous being funded via Kickstarter, but I hope that it works out well anyway.

I mean, it's ELITE  :D

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2012, 09:28:26 pm »

And Space Ship Games arent exactly in short supply.
They really ARE in short supply though, so few of them have come out in the last few years that every new one is great news.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2012, 10:00:25 pm »

Triple A titles, maybe. But indie, free and open source space sims are all over the place these days.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 23