Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 23

Author Topic: Elite - Dangerous  (Read 51974 times)

Kolnukbyne

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great laziness.
    • View Profile
Re: Elite - Dangerous
« Reply #210 on: February 19, 2017, 09:33:45 pm »

Wouldn't just having another light, cheap ship tagging along be better?

Well if you have a fighter bay on your ship then your crew member can pilot the fighter, so this is actually an option.

I agree though that I don't really see the hype for multicrew. Turrets are something that I personally never use (does point defence count?) and I don't know any people that do use them. They're low damage offset by the fact that you don't need to control them yourself so let's... let's get someone to control them. Personally what I want to see from multicrew is the ability for the whole crew to deploy in SRVs on planet surfaces. I don't know about you but I feel like a three person low-gravity romp could be entertaining for a while and it would make doing skimmer/assault missions much more interesting and viable in an SRV (rather than just carpet bombing bases with dumbfire missiles).

But I don't know, with its current features I feel like I won't be using multicrew for anything other than letting a friend AFK in my ship so he can get free money just for tagging along.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #211 on: February 20, 2017, 08:22:54 am »

See it's perfect for me, because I have a buddy who just wants to tag along with me and help out by flying fighters and shooting turrets. He has very little interest in grinding out his own cash or rep because 'it's boring'.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 20, 2017, 08:53:17 am »

Nothing I've seen is revolutionary, but it is at the same time probably the first big step into the whole 'crewing your own ship' dream of the space sim. I don't expect anyone will think this is the most must-have experience, but I can imagine that if it's well received they'll do a lot more work on it.

Once they've got the 'two players cramped into one ship' thing sorted, I can't imagine it'll be that much of a technical hurdle to move on to 'three players on the bridge of a spaceship taking on missions, fighting with other spaceships etc.'
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #213 on: February 20, 2017, 09:34:01 am »

Agreed. As with most of their feature releases they seem to be starting out with a small baseline experience to see how it develops before expanding on it.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 20, 2017, 03:55:33 pm »

I guess it's the difference between Star Trek style stuff, EVE style stuff, Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime/Guns of Icarus style stuff and Starwars style stuff.

In Star Trek, there's probably heaps of stuff to do on those consoles in front of them. Something like an order of "shields to full" might mean juggling the amount of power from reactors/capacitors, taking that power away from weapons and engines (making other's jobs harder), routing it through working power conduits that can and do fail all the time, and distributing the energy to where the captain "actually meant" when he said that (you probably don't have enough power to actually have FULL shielding everywhere anyway), and keep juggling all that into shields that might not be in perfect working order as weapons and engines and scanning and engineering are all doing their thing too. Teamwork and understanding of the resources available, as well as efficient ways of getting the blathering-idiot-in-charge's orders completed between you all, without wrecking the ship like you would if you *actually* did what he said to do. But no one wants to be the red shirt that cleans chicken soup dispenser nozzles.

In EVE, there's stockmarkets, investments, factions and stuff. And being a jerk over comms. All very valuable stuff to do, regardless of combat.

In LiaDS/GoI, there's only so much you can do at once. But you need to do everything. So your other crew members are absolutely vital for the working of your ship. They shield while you steer. They steer while you shoot. Teamwork is necessary and built into the ship design (and game concept).

In Starwars, there's boardgames and cardgames. It's recognized that the turret gunner will usually be so goddamned bored outside of combat that including other types of entertainment on the ship is actually necessary for your survival. Take Han and Chewie and the Millennium Falcon. They're all about playing sabaac, gambling on pointless stuff, and whatever that holo-game chess thing was. You could have an auto-turret, a droid navigator/repairer or a robot-fighter helper ship, but people are better at stuff like that (especially when it's all custom bodgy stuff they're working with). And it gives you someone to play cards against when you're bored too. Elite: Dangerous seems to take more after Starwars than it does other multicrew concepts. But there's no boardgames or cardgames included yet.

If people are genuinely better at stuff aboard a ship, so it feels worthwhile being there, it might work. Like 1.5x-3x as good as basic ship functioning. But right now, there's an auto-everything function for virtually all the things another crew member could do (kinda necessary because all ships are currently 1 man enterprises). Conducting station, system or sector wide high credit cardgame tournaments might be a necessity if extra crew are really just tagging along for lols (and would make for some fun lore on how people died/got rich/ended up with prices on their head, and would make pottering about the universe seem far more swag). It would also give you as the pilot of a single-person vessel all those options too. Sure, repair shields 3x faster by hitting stuff with a wrench. But you won't be steering while you do it.

It's actually completely in character with Elite's lore, old and new. Both bounties placed due to gambling debts and "theft", as well as people dying because they're afk or "doing technical stuff" instead of flying the ship. So that's what they need. Gambling. Because as we all know, even the most boring thing on earth is made better if you can gamble on it or gamble while doing it. It also gives reasons for going places. Tiny station with little traffic, no decent commodity prices or tech and no police presence to save you from the pirates? Perfect place to hold the next underground poker tournament.

Kinda sounds fun to be a crew member then. Sure, the captain is an ace pilot, trader and has an elite rating, but you've got half the system's credits in your pocket after the last tournament. That's why they're out for your blood. You're too damn good at what you do.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 05:06:38 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 21, 2017, 09:08:20 am »

As you say sambojin, I think they'll need to refactor a lot of the gameplay for multi-crew ships and add a lot of stuff that only multi-crew ships can do. You'd need to make it that the multi-crew ships are substantially stronger than single crew ships, but that they're not as effective as single crew ships if automated. 

I've played a lot of artemis: bridge commander, which is pretty basic in what each station does (with stuff like the comms barely doing anything most of the time) but it's great fun when you're all working together. At the most though, you'd probably have a pilot, offload all weapons to a gunner and have someone else doing shield modulation/energy management. A lot of games also have fires break out and stuff that need to be fixed by an engineer, although I've always found that a bit of a tedious task.

It can definitely be done, and I think there's a huge market for that kinda gameplay, but I think the refactoring might be just too much.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #216 on: February 21, 2017, 09:12:04 am »

It does open up some cool/interesting opportunities. We could have better search and rescue missions which require a staffed science and engineering station to track down lost vessels, or better asteroid prospecting by allowing the engineer to remotely pilot the prospector drone and do more detailed scans.

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 27, 2017, 03:59:18 pm »

we will have to see how deep they go with the new mechanics in 2.3

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 27, 2017, 06:19:27 pm »

This thread is old, but I don't think it's good form to start a new one is it?

Anyway, Elite:Dangerous has kind of been on my radar for a while and is currently on sale for only $20... but I'm not sure it would scratch my space-game itches.  Would I be able to enjoy it if I'm terrible at "twitch" games?  And how strategic can you be in gameplay - things like playing the market, etc. versus just combat?  Is ship customization limited to just "more powerful versions of X" or are there more subtle tradeoffs to be had?

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 30, 2017, 02:41:45 am »

Anyway, Elite:Dangerous has kind of been on my radar for a while and is currently on sale for only $20... but I'm not sure it would scratch my space-game itches.  Would I be able to enjoy it if I'm terrible at "twitch" games?  And how strategic can you be in gameplay - things like playing the market, etc. versus just combat?  Is ship customization limited to just "more powerful versions of X" or are there more subtle tradeoffs to be had?

Ship customization has a lot of options and if you own the dlc/expansion, the engineers add a lot more for you to tweak to your liking. You can make money trading and there's always the possibility of finding some nice trade routes others don't know about to get an edge profit-wise. The dlc also adds planets you can fly down to and explore in your ship or in a small rover. I rather enjoy raiding small militarized bases in my rover. The combat AI is actually pretty vicious at the higher ranks and usually requires smart use of all your mobility to stay in control of the fight. It's not really "twitch" gameplay though, it's about strategy and knowing how your ship flies vs how your target does.

If you're looking for longer term goals, there are countless minor npc factions across space that you can help(or hinder), become friendly with, and then watch them flourish and take over more systems. You could just pick a faction you like or do like I did and find the dev thread where you can apply to create an official group and then you can choose for your group to either adopt an existing faction or, like I did, create your own faction.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 30, 2017, 03:24:58 am »

Good to keep it in the same thread unless the thread is years old.

I wouldn't worry about the twitch aspects of E:D, however I would be more concerned about if you have the patience for it. It's a very slow game, and you really do have to make your own fun/roleplay with it. Don't think I'm talking from a 'this isn't constant dog fights so I'm bored' standpoint, it's that you're going to be doing the same trips again and again, all of which take serious time. There's lots of ability to roleplay though - look up the Fuel Rats, they're one of the coolest in game groups I've ever seen in gaming.

There's quite a lot of ship customisation, with a lot of different options. Unfortunately the ships seem very similar to me, but I'm sure if you're invested there's a lot to go at.

You can play the market to an extent. I'm not sure quite how well it works, but the idea is that you can pit two factions against each other, and then profit from the war. I don't know how much the player can really get involved, but that's the theory anyway.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 09, 2018, 03:17:41 pm »

Is this really the only thread for this? ED is like the premier space sim game.

I want to talk about Elite Dangerous on Bay 12.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 09, 2018, 03:20:38 pm »

I don't disagree that it's the best space sim out there at the moment, but it's also a bit niche. You've got to have serious, serious time to invest in it and there's still a lot that's pretty disappointing with it.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 09, 2018, 05:14:29 pm »

I don't disagree that it's the best space sim out there at the moment, but it's also a bit niche. You've got to have serious, serious time to invest in it and there's still a lot that's pretty disappointing with it.

It legit took me like 2 months of play before I found a good place to farm money. I had fun in the interim but there so much detailed and expansiveness that there's a whole lot to filter through before you settle on anything.

I recently switched out my Python for a Krait II in order to be more effective in combat and I'm never looking back.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #224 on: July 09, 2018, 05:18:41 pm »

The Krait is Great. Mine has a fighter on it which confuses the NPCs
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 23