Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 23

Author Topic: Elite - Dangerous  (Read 52106 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Elite - Dangerous
« Reply #225 on: July 09, 2018, 05:31:42 pm »

I have the dual fixed-beam fighter and I like to watch it 1v1 cobras.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #226 on: July 09, 2018, 05:41:36 pm »

I fly mine in VR sometimes. It is amazing. The cockpit placement on the Krait affords a view few ships can match. It may be my new favorite multirole.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 09, 2018, 05:49:32 pm »

I found out that if you have a buddy you can tell the NPC to fly one ship and have your human buddy fly another, thereby having two fighters.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #228 on: July 09, 2018, 06:11:13 pm »

I haven't tried multicrew yet but... wouldn't you need a second fighter bay for that?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 09, 2018, 06:24:54 pm »

I'm not sure if you need it, but I have a fighter bay that allows two slots (6A). I initially thought this just meant "I can carry two kinds" which it does allow, but maybe you also need that to deploy two fighters?

I'm actually going to test it tonight with a bud, will report back.

Also I've been looking up upcoming things and apparently player carriers will be a thing this year :[]
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 06:28:15 pm by Dunamisdeos »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #230 on: July 09, 2018, 06:45:41 pm »

I'm somewhat excited about the new scanning and mining personally. Finding POIs with better scanners and finding rich rocks in belts and rings will be nice

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 09, 2018, 07:15:31 pm »

I'm somewhat excited about the new scanning and mining personally. Finding POIs with better scanners and finding rich rocks in belts and rings will be nice

I just familiarized myself with asteroid/planetary mining last night, in fact. Kitted out a type-6 with what relatively-high-end stuff it could handle and went to town on some clusters, then landed on a planet for material gathering for engineer upgrades to shields/FTL/thrusters. It looks like they boosted the effects from engineers lately, because I gained around 9-10 degrees per second of maneuverability from those dirty-drive upgrades.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: July 10, 2018, 01:24:23 pm »

Launching an NPC fighter and a Human buddy at the same time works fine.

Additionally bounty is split evenly between wing members.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 10, 2019, 08:15:44 am »

Got this recently. Finally.
So let me as this perennial question, which must have been uttered by countless inductees to the game mechanics: holy shit mother of cow on a stick how do you even combat?
I had trouble with the first tutorial combat mission, and the second is completely beyond me. The bloody Eagle keeps out-turning me no matter how I fiddle with the engines and power, and I don't see much room for improvements there.
I tried playing with turning off course correction, but then the roll and yaw go completely crazy and I can't even hold the general direction towards the target (I'm on mouse+keyboard), let alone hit anything.
I fucken hated the roll controls back in Elite 2 & 3, no matter how cool they seemed on paper, and would always turn them off - and they weren't even this sensitive. But it doesn't look like switching to a more arcade-y mode is doable here.

Is there some sensible (whatever that means) remapping of controls, some ease-of-life options hidden somewhere, a proper tutorial video discussing best way to fly with a mouse or combat manoeuvres (the one on their site is basic crap), or is it just one of those games that ain't not gonna work right without a joystick?

Or is it something that you git gud at after bazillion hours of failing the tutorial, and then act all smug about on the interwebz?

Tell me, prithee, how did you git gud.

marples

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 10, 2019, 08:40:06 am »

Got this recently. Finally.
So let me as this perennial question, which must have been uttered by countless inductees to the game mechanics: holy shit mother of cow on a stick how do you even combat?
I had trouble with the first tutorial combat mission, and the second is completely beyond me. The bloody Eagle keeps out-turning me no matter how I fiddle with the engines and power, and I don't see much room for improvements there.
I tried playing with turning off course correction, but then the roll and yaw go completely crazy and I can't even hold the general direction towards the target (I'm on mouse+keyboard), let alone hit anything.
I fucken hated the roll controls back in Elite 2 & 3, no matter how cool they seemed on paper, and would always turn them off - and they weren't even this sensitive. But it doesn't look like switching to a more arcade-y mode is doable here.

Is there some sensible (whatever that means) remapping of controls, some ease-of-life options hidden somewhere, a proper tutorial video discussing best way to fly with a mouse or combat manoeuvres (the one on their site is basic crap), or is it just one of those games that ain't not gonna work right without a joystick?

Or is it something that you git gud at after bazillion hours of failing the tutorial, and then act all smug about on the interwebz?

Tell me, prithee, how did you git gud.

The default binds for m+kb are terrible. First thing you should do is change the roll axis on the mouse to yaw, and use keys to roll. Personnally, I used wasd for directional thrust and put roll on q and e. Throttle is on r and f.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 10, 2019, 12:32:57 pm »

Oh man, I forgot they put f'n roll on the mouse.  My binds are similar to marples.  I put thrust on x and c so I can hit them with my thumb and not take a finger off wasd.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 10, 2019, 01:45:32 pm »

Roll is terrible for aiming but great for nostalgia.

Or it just takes some taking used to. Not sure which.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 10, 2019, 02:41:31 pm »

Do you guys fly with a mouse at all, or just stick to keyboard?

ukulele

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 11, 2019, 10:47:53 am »

Do you guys fly with a mouse at all, or just stick to keyboard?

I cant imagine playing with keyboard only, controls are really good once you get used to them, just move roll out of the mouse.

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 11, 2019, 02:27:50 pm »

If I still have it installed, I could pop on and give you a few pointers.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 23