Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 23

Author Topic: Elite - Dangerous  (Read 52048 times)

marples

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elite - Dangerous
« Reply #255 on: February 04, 2019, 07:25:51 pm »

As far as I remember, you become hostile to ships pledged to political powers of opposing states only. You should be okay with opposing state military and police though providing your standing isn't too low.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 08, 2019, 04:10:51 am »

I see this game has mixed ratings on steam, with the biggest fear being that it's too shallow. Get money to get bigger ships to get money. Are there any goals? Any big projects to work on? Any challenges?

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 08, 2019, 06:13:04 am »

I see this game has mixed ratings on steam, with the biggest fear being that it's too shallow. Get money to get bigger ships to get money. Are there any goals? Any big projects to work on? Any challenges?

It's a mix, there are some content things to do which require you to have grinded up a good ship and be skilful with it, but the crux of it is 'get money to get bigger ships to get more money'. It doesn't have a strong story to pull you in, or the end-game content structure of MMOs.

The game is very much set up around creating your own goals/light RP'ing. That's at least what a lot of fans say, I feel it's become like that BECAUSE there's not enough structure, not because the intertwining systems are so fantastic that they lead to 'emergent' play.

That said, it looks incredible and if you're into a bit of light RP'ing goals (I'm going to be come the most feared bounty hunter in the galaxy/the most successful trader/etc.) then I think it can be fun, as long as you can put up with how long everything takes to do.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 08, 2019, 01:28:36 pm »

Yeah this is my go-to "I want to blow stuff up in space" game.

It has great customization option for ship load-outs. The "story" is some ever-evolving open world community participation stuff. It does exist, but it's like "Hey we set some monthly community goals and wrote some flavor text, and we'll continue this story according to how well the community does".

Really it's.... sort of too realistic. You're not the protagonist, you're a dude in space with money and a ship. You do your job in space, which is space trucker, bounty hunter, etc, and then you tune into the space news broadcast (an actual thing) and hear about how aliens are attacking in system so and so, or some other stuff is happening. Everything doesn't happen in your lap the way it does in player-story focused games.

So yeah it makes it feel very disconnected from yourself, but that kind of universe-realism is sort of it's goal anyway.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 08, 2019, 02:49:44 pm »

Yeah this is my go-to "I want to blow stuff up in space" game.

It has great customization option for ship load-outs. The "story" is some ever-evolving open world community participation stuff. It does exist, but it's like "Hey we set some monthly community goals and wrote some flavor text, and we'll continue this story according to how well the community does".

Really it's.... sort of too realistic. You're not the protagonist, you're a dude in space with money and a ship. You do your job in space, which is space trucker, bounty hunter, etc, and then you tune into the space news broadcast (an actual thing) and hear about how aliens are attacking in system so and so, or some other stuff is happening. Everything doesn't happen in your lap the way it does in player-story focused games.

So yeah it makes it feel very disconnected from yourself, but that kind of universe-realism is sort of it's goal anyway.

Great description of it. I think the thing for me is that it hasn't quite achieved the level of simulation it needs to yet. It's immersive, but it's not got enough systems and stuff-to-do to make it gripping.

It's like, I can be a bounty hunter, but it's really just 'go to point A and kill X' - it isn't like I'm having to hunt for clues as to their whereabouts, go to dodgy dive bars in space to try and intimidate or bribe someone into giving me more information, and then hunting my mark across the galaxy, capturing them, and then flying them back to space prison with their gang hot on my tail. That'd be the perfect case, and I don't expect that, but it's just not even half way there yet.

It's just too shallow all round for me personally to invest lots of time in, but they're making positive steps towards improving it all the time. I imagine in a year or two, if they keep developing it, it'll be at the stage where it's deep enough to be well worth the time.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 08, 2019, 04:28:35 pm »

Agreed! I keep going back because what's there is of incredible quality, but the universe does feel a bit empty at times.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

marples

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 08, 2019, 08:07:55 pm »

Whilst it won't give any insight to long term game play, the game does have a demo so that you can see if the flight model is to your taste.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #262 on: February 08, 2019, 11:45:47 pm »

To me it felt like some kind of anti-social MMO. Grindy, limited story, and very little interaction with other players (or none if you choose to play without it). Every time I tried running in the online mode the only other players I encountered were high end warships roaming around to kill new players and the occasional other newbie who just ignored me, so I ended up just playing in the solo mode after being killed by random people with much better fully engineered ships about 10 times.

It's fun for when you want to shoot up some npc ships, but got a bit old for me after a while. I put in like 160 hours all total since last year, so I got my money's worth of entertainment out of it, but every time I've tried to get back into it I just got bored again. The engineer missions and collecting the upgrade parts is extremely grindy to access the super engineered stuff, so you're in for a long treadmill ride if you want to have top tier stuff to fight the other players. And the last time I played the stuff that isn't engineered is absolute crap in comparison.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 09, 2019, 02:13:43 am »

To me it felt like some kind of anti-social MMO. Grindy, limited story, and very little interaction with other players (or none if you choose to play without it). Every time I tried running in the online mode the only other players I encountered were high end warships roaming around to kill new players and the occasional other newbie who just ignored me, so I ended up just playing in the solo mode after being killed by random people with much better fully engineered ships about 10 times.

It's fun for when you want to shoot up some npc ships, but got a bit old for me after a while. I put in like 160 hours all total since last year, so I got my money's worth of entertainment out of it, but every time I've tried to get back into it I just got bored again. The engineer missions and collecting the upgrade parts is extremely grindy to access the super engineered stuff, so you're in for a long treadmill ride if you want to have top tier stuff to fight the other players. And the last time I played the stuff that isn't engineered is absolute crap in comparison.

pretty wel this, devs who are afraid of giving the playerbase tools to do things, its all very tightly controlled, galactic events are scripted and basically its bled long term players, chasing sales over player retention

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 12, 2019, 07:55:49 pm »

How do you guys feel about this game now that they've fleshed out mining and added squadrons, multi-crew, and wing missions? Anyone still play but me?

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: June 13, 2019, 03:19:00 am »

I still play a little bit, that said without squadron megaships and colonisation for player npc factions and a host of other promised but still MIA Features, eve online and dual universe are starting to look attractive

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 14, 2019, 03:27:43 pm »

Yeah I was sad that player carriers got delayed :(

mocman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: October 15, 2020, 05:05:07 am »

I don't keep up much with the updates. I do some Fuel Rat runs everyone in a while. But with Odyssey's announcement and Horizons eventually becoming Free I've been chilling trying to grind to get a Player Carrier.
Have a wonderful day

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #268 on: October 15, 2020, 05:24:23 am »

I've been considering getting back into this. The lack of tools for player interaction still bug me as this could be a really fun social game but doing some actions with friends is just a chore.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 16, 2020, 12:34:30 pm »

They've added player carriers for squadrons n stuff, It's on my back burner to get back into at some point.

For me I have easily enough money to get a Federal Corvette, but nowhere near the amount of Federation rank. I'd just be grinding that for weeks and that's a slog to me.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 23