Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 23

Author Topic: Elite - Dangerous  (Read 52043 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elite - Dangerous
« Reply #285 on: February 22, 2021, 09:28:08 pm »

It seems I just managed to chain-explore 4 anarchy systems in a row, and i just learned about the FSS button. So if this ends up being a problem for me in the future I'll ask again in more detail. Thanks for the responses though.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 20, 2021, 03:54:25 pm »

YOOOOOO

https://www.elitedangerous.com/odyssey/

New missions new tech WALKING AROUND ON FOOT all kinds of fun. It's coming out soon and this excites me.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 03:58:53 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #287 on: March 20, 2021, 11:11:05 pm »

It will probably get me to reinstall the game again and play another few hundred hours. I'm excited too

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 21, 2021, 12:15:03 am »

I'm ambivalent at best.  I don't particularly need nor desire the ability to walk around in space flight simulation games, and I had similarly mixed opinions of X4 when they did it.  It tends to feel more like it dilutes rather than enhances the focus of the game.  That said, a lot of people do seem to be rather enthused about Space Legs and have been for quite some time, so more power to them; in the end, it's all about how well the implementation is done. 
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 12:17:01 am by Culise »

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 21, 2021, 01:10:26 pm »

I got too excited and bought the normal odyssey expansion thinking it was going to be released soon. Nope its alpha only and I'm not paying extra for an alpha to be wiped lol :( Should have read before hand

Oh well at least I have it I guess

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 22, 2021, 12:19:05 pm »

Hmm I didn't notice that either.

Will it be wiped tho? I mean the ED gameworld has been persistent since its launch, is it going to be a separate test environment?
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 22, 2021, 01:30:58 pm »

Hmm I didn't notice that either.

Will it be wiped tho? I mean the ED gameworld has been persistent since its launch, is it going to be a separate test environment?

the alpha is its own server and is pretty much what you said, a test environment. The actual release is late spring for everyone else

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 22, 2021, 01:42:33 pm »

Gotta say, I'm super stoked about that.

Gonna hop on and romp around the galaxy on foot with zero actual consequence. That's something regular Elite actually doesn't have XD

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 22, 2021, 07:16:06 pm »

I was going to fire this game up again after not having played for a long time... only to discover that Frontier removed support from my operating system.  Yup, a game I purchased, no longer runs on my machine.  They didn't even give the option to just play single-player with no further updates.

These guys are on my blacklist.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 22, 2021, 07:25:58 pm »

I.... what? How? What OS?

How is that not on every gaming news source on the planet???

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 22, 2021, 07:41:50 pm »

MacOS. Apparently there was a bit of ire, but basically "the Mac market isn't big enough", "you shouldn't have bought a Mac anyway, dummy", and the fact that developers in the game industry are elitists (heh) and figure that those of us who don't want to be serfs to the Microsoft kingdom aren't worth it - even to the extent that they claim "technical reasons" prevent them from letting people keep using the game for which the already paid.

Sadly I'm not even surprised there wasn't some kind of consumer protection action against them, because of the whole stupid "software is licensed, not purchased" lobby.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 22, 2021, 07:44:56 pm »

I.... what? How? What OS?

How is that not on every gaming news source on the planet???
Because it's a Macintosh.  They cite "technical barriers" as the reason.  Poking around, it seems that recent versions of MacOS don't support compute shaders, available in the latest versions of DirectX and OpenGL and required for Horizons, but not available in the last version of OpenGL supported by Apple or in Metal.  No compute shaders, no Horizons, no new updates, no support, and not enough money to run and support parallel infrastructure.

As for the lack of ire, McTraveller sums up the fan reaction.  Windows versus Mac is still alive and well.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 22, 2021, 08:00:39 pm »

So what, did Apple discontinue that shader support? That blows. That all blows, from every direction.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 22, 2021, 08:11:40 pm »

It wasn't so much discontinued support - it was the developer wanted to modernize and use shaders that aren't supported on MacOS.

I don't have a problem with failure to upgrade, and it is annoying that Apple didn't support that shader type.

The problem I have is that I didn't have the option to keep using the initial game I purchased.  I do understand that the game was inherently an online game, so it would have taken effort to turn it into a single player space sim - which would have been awesome.  The Frontier management basically just said "eh, we don't need that goodwill.  Just bail on the Mac customer base."

First world problems to be sure though.  Just disappointing.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 22, 2021, 08:26:30 pm »

Yeah dang, there needs to be at least a "roll back and do single player" option.

Sorry dude :\
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 23