Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23

Author Topic: Elite - Dangerous  (Read 52027 times)

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elite - Dangerous
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2012, 01:38:32 am »

Triple A titles, maybe. But indie, free and open source space sims are all over the place these days.
Can you recommend me some good ones that aren't block based? I love the genre but don't really care for building my own ship from scratch.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2012, 02:02:40 am »

Triple A titles, maybe. But indie, free and open source space sims are all over the place these days.
Can you recommend me some good ones that aren't block based? I love the genre but don't really care for building my own ship from scratch.
Escape Velocity Nova
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2012, 02:24:54 am »

Yeah, the Escape Velocity series is awesome if you don't mind the 2d interface. The Evochron games are good as well. Space Rangers 2. Pioneer is an open source remake of Frontier, the sequel to Elite.

Those are the ones I've played that I can remember off the top of my head.

Space Sim Central is a decent community site which focuses on just these types of games.

I still love the X games despite their flaws, so if you haven't checked those out, do so.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2012, 10:41:26 am »

There's Orbiter too , that is simply my favorite space sim.
But be warned Orbiter really deserves the word "simulation" in the "space sim" genre, so expect some learning curve, but once you start to get the hang of it, it's just completely amazing.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2012, 11:08:16 am »

Then there's Terminus. It's relatively old(2000), but has that nice inertia-based flight model of Elite2+. Rather small universe to explore, though, iirc.

Babylon 5: I've found her! is a freeware mission-based space sim, with good story, voice acting and game mechanics(inertial model and some cool hyperspace ideas).
No trading and exploring though, it's purely combat-focused.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2012, 12:24:53 pm »

Using the Freespace2 open sourced engine, there 's recently Diaspora : Shattered Armistice set in the BG universe that has been released, some kind of follow up from some of the devs of the old Beyond the Red Line demo that development was abandonned.

Released recently open source, there's Starshatter - The Gathering Storm , that is quite good from the few hours i played in the release and has a lot of potential with its dynamic campaign system, promotions and ability to be promoted into various kind of battle role.
I'm always hoping for some coders to decide to take part in further development of this little gem but seems to have gone under the radar of everyone so community is not really lively unfortunately.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 12:29:10 pm by Robsoie »

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2012, 09:12:20 pm »

2 Million Stretch Goal: Fight to the death in gladiatorial arena between Ian Bell and David Braben. Bring popcorn.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2012, 02:43:17 am »

They seem to have added a video and concept images now.

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2012, 03:08:56 am »

Released recently open source, there's Starshatter - The Gathering Storm , that is quite good from the few hours i played in the release and has a lot of potential with its dynamic campaign system, promotions and ability to be promoted into various kind of battle role.
I'm always hoping for some coders to decide to take part in further development of this little gem but seems to have gone under the radar of everyone so community is not really lively unfortunately.

One major downside to Starshatter is the enemy AI. In short, they will all focus on you, no matter what you're flying. I've had anti-capital ship destroyers turn and start gunning for me in my little interceptor.  I suppose I could have worked around that and used it to my advantage, but honestly, having an AI that mono-focuses the player to the point where I can't do anything because I'm evading the cluster-ton of missiles being lobbed in my direction made me rage a little and go play something else...

which is really too bad, because this sort of game where you can eventually fly anything from fighters and bombers to destroyers, cruisers and carriers was exactly what I've been wanting.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2012, 08:53:18 am »

Nobody's mentioned Oolite? I mean, it's the purest form of recapturing the magic of the original.

I'm kind of torn as to whether I'd rather have an Elite-style game or a Frontier-style game (I consider them completely seperate titles which are spiritually linked).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2012, 11:48:04 am »

One major downside to Starshatter is the enemy AI. In short, they will all focus on you, no matter what you're flying. I've had anti-capital ship destroyers turn and start gunning for me in my little interceptor.  I suppose I could have worked around that and used it to my advantage, but honestly, having an AI that mono-focuses the player to the point where I can't do anything because I'm evading the cluster-ton of missiles being lobbed in my direction made me rage a little and go play something else...

which is really too bad, because this sort of game where you can eventually fly anything from fighters and bombers to destroyers, cruisers and carriers was exactly what I've been wanting.

I didn't felt being the center of attention of the whole AI, there were fighters and capitals duking it out between each other while i was flying around.
But that may be because you're flying ahead of everyone when attacking something, and the AI seems to target the closest enemy FIRST, so if you're a bit ahead of everyone, the enemy will converge on your position.
A hard lesson learned from being a Destroyer commander, you don't really survive for long if you're rushing to your target instead of being in formation with other capitals (so you can let them a bit ahead from time to time so you're not focus fired by everything)

But what i learned from flying into my death :D is that Starshatter has an immense difference in term of power and durability between fighters and capital ships and must not be played similarly to Freespace 2 when you're in a fighter wing.

In Freespace 2, in a fighter you can even resist (for a time, as stay too long and you explode) the anti-fighters flak canons of the capital ships.

In Starshatter, a fighter coming close to any kind of capital is simply going to explode.

When i got promoted and decided to move in command of a destroyer, i felt this even more, as the poor fighters couldn't stand a chance then, no wonder i exploded so quickly if i dared to move close to a capital ship.
Your destroyer weaponry (and that's not even the most powerfull ships you can fly) will destroy fighters that are flying too close in seconds.

And if you're flying in with a bomber loadout, after unloading your payload, immediately turn away and get the hell out of the zone.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 11:54:25 am by Robsoie »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2012, 05:10:39 pm »

It seems like the initial  flood of donations has ended, and not even at the half way mark.

Again, I gotta go with failure, just due with Kickstarter history of funding. The amount they want, is quite large for Kickstarter.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2012, 10:17:28 pm »

I don't know, he doesn't seem to be connecting with fans or hyping people enough. If he wants to rely on "fame" he's gonna fail, as there aren't enough hardcore fans of the original Elite. Videos about how fibonacci works are not going to win any new converts.

I think the Double Fine project is a good example of how to engage fans in an entertaining way and generate interest. Other projects aren't quite as quirky, but at least they try *something*. Braben seems to be planning on relying mostly on non-existing inertia for his sequel and it's going to bite his ass in the end.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2012, 11:04:18 pm »

There is some evidence that the only thing of "substance" (Admittedly, it's a lot of substance) that Braben did for the original games was the procedural generation. I do enjoy me some proceduralism (As long as it's not police), but I just don't think that's enough for today's audiences. Perhaps that's why that's what he seems to focus on in the pitch. Again, I just don't think he, alone, has what it takes to make a good Elite game, and I don't think his ego will give anyone else serious input on it.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2012, 12:33:18 pm »

There is some evidence that the only thing of "substance" (Admittedly, it's a lot of substance) that Braben did for the original games was the procedural generation. I do enjoy me some proceduralism (As long as it's not police), but I just don't think that's enough for today's audiences. Perhaps that's why that's what he seems to focus on in the pitch. Again, I just don't think he, alone, has what it takes to make a good Elite game, and I don't think his ego will give anyone else serious input on it.

It's not just him making the game himself, he has a nice games studio with a team which has been working for years. Elite Dangerous wasn't a spur of the moment project upon seeing Kickstarter working but has been in the skunkworks for a while.

I can say his pitches aren't great but the game he wants to create is the type of game I love. I really liked Freelancer, it was great fun playing it but it had the problem that nothing you really did affected the universe (outside of story mode), Elite on the other hand your actions can shape the universe, and even without it it will be constantly changing, there will be battles over rich territory, blockades (and smuggling/blockade running), war and opportunity in the universe.

As much as I like Chris Robert's games I don't see Star Citizen really having that. For a story game Chris Roberts has it but Braben and Bell invented the sandbox genre and are firmly planning on sticking to it although the sandbox is now a vicious arena of sandy death.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23