Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23

Author Topic: Elite - Dangerous  (Read 52026 times)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elite - Dangerous
« Reply #135 on: May 08, 2015, 09:51:39 am »

Honestly it may be worth giving them 6 months to a year and then looking again. The game is fun but I don't know that its worth the price.

Yeah I was thinking to check back on it in a couple of months and see how it looks then. I imagine with a content drop or two it could be really fleshed out
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #136 on: May 08, 2015, 09:58:48 am »

My best advice would be to play the game like a normal game, not like an MMO. Yes it's multiplayer, but with an MMO there is the drive to play as much as you can because you are paying monthly or falling behind or whatever. Instead play Elite whenever you get some time here or there and feel like it might be fun. Don't try to grind out cash for ships or whatever, just keep an eye out and when a cool community goal comes up jump on and participate. I got a nice 15 million bucks just for running in the lugh war for a few days. That went a long way towards outfitting my next ship!

After that war I took a break and this weekend I am jumping back on to do a bit of playing.

Space it out, take your time, enjoy yourself. If you burn out on it by trying to grind out objectives in a short time then you won't have fun, which is really what games are all about no?

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 08, 2015, 01:42:33 pm »

That's exactly what I do, forsaken!

I even think that this is what originally intended (not the part in which its very easily to get bored and burned out), but that you should have fun instead of grinding.
That's the scale of the game in which they described many times, I admire them for it.
There's games like X3 in which you get that epic Corvette after a few lucky missions and build all the complexes with that UT money, and there's Elite in which it's all about you and your ship, and how both of you are just another one in a huge galaxy.
Whenever you try to fight that by playing the game as if it's something different than that: that's when you go mad.

I can't really bring myself to grind, so I guess I'll just admit that I play it casually when it feels like fun.
Maybe PowerPlay makes things more interesting. But there's SO MUCH MORE they should do before it reaches even my minimal expectations.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 01, 2015, 02:17:38 pm »

Bumping this!

Alright, so I'm getting in to this again now that I have a new computer, since my old one didn't run it very well. I have a joystick, and hope to play the game with it, because that's the way Elite is played, dammit! But the thing is, when I am using my (90's) joystick, I can't seem to use my mouse for menu controls. Is there a way to set it up so I fly with the joystick and navigate menus inside my ship/stations with the mouse? As it is, I have to navigate menus with the arrow keys which is annoying.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

ollobrains

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 01, 2015, 04:41:37 pm »

sirius inc player group has a few bay 12 membes in it, we are into a lot of ingame stuff, RP, minor faction, powerplay and deep space activities.
Our forums can be foudn at www.joved.freeforums.net and  join us.  We will have our own minor faction in about 3 weeks or so called sirius inc as well

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 01, 2015, 04:54:50 pm »

Bumping this!

Alright, so I'm getting in to this again now that I have a new computer, since my old one didn't run it very well. I have a joystick, and hope to play the game with it, because that's the way Elite is played, dammit! But the thing is, when I am using my (90's) joystick, I can't seem to use my mouse for menu controls. Is there a way to set it up so I fly with the joystick and navigate menus inside my ship/stations with the mouse? As it is, I have to navigate menus with the arrow keys which is annoying.
There might be, if you have a way to switch macro sets.

I ended up not using my joystick and throttle because I couldn't get them to a comfortable level of sensitivity and ended up using the hat switch to control pitch and yaw, so I figured 'fuck it' and went back to flying with mouse and keyboard, since that worked just fine for me in PS2 &c. :I

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 05, 2015, 04:01:17 pm »

I backed this way back and had semi forgotten, waiting for a big shiny email that said that whatever tier I'd backed at was now available...
figured I'd check, and hey I can download the client now. cool, guess I missed the email. hopefully I'm not going to use my whole months internet getting it.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #142 on: October 05, 2015, 06:14:56 pm »

Well, I worked out the issue (my PC/account, one or the other, HATES saving passwords so much it's willing to crash a program for trying). The game... didn't appeal to me. I don't know why, it just didn't engage me as such.
Sorry to hear you didn't like it. I'm 1500 lightyears away from civilization right now surveying the california nebula.

Once Horizons drops I plan to explore me some moons and airless bodies for loot, with my buddy along to man my turrets.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #143 on: October 05, 2015, 06:24:22 pm »

I thought the expansion included the base game. Might be wrong.

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 05, 2015, 08:21:43 pm »

Ohh, I just played a couple of the training missions.
so far, it's *fun*
I gotta get some other work done so I can concentrate on learning it properly.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #145 on: October 06, 2015, 04:29:43 am »

I wouldn't mind doing some cooperative bounty hunting or something with a few bay12 members if anyone is interested.

I mean once I return to civilized space and swap ships.

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 06, 2015, 05:16:37 am »

I could be interested if you don't mind doing it with a complete noob.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #147 on: October 06, 2015, 05:37:11 am »

Sure, I don't mind. It may be a bit before I can get back to civilized space though.

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 06, 2015, 02:19:28 pm »

ok, I've finaly got the update from last night.

I'm Noj Vata in there.

looks like there's a forsaken1111 in the player list, I'm guessing that's you.
* se5a adds to friends

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #149 on: October 06, 2015, 02:28:23 pm »

ok, I've finaly got the update from last night.

I'm Noj Vata in there.

looks like there's a forsaken1111 in the player list, I'm guessing that's you.
* se5a adds to friends
Yep that is me, but for some reason my game did not like it when you added me and crashed. :D

I'll be back in just a moment
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 23