Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 23

Author Topic: Elite - Dangerous  (Read 51612 times)

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elite - Dangerous
« Reply #270 on: October 16, 2020, 03:21:38 pm »

I'm waiting for walking outside the ship to play again. But ED never felt like it was supposed to be an MMO, is it even advertised as one? Its definitely not in the steam tags (and there are games that are definitely NOT MMOs with the MMO tag on steam, like all the free mobile games converted to steam games pay to win junk). There isn't even a co-op or multiplayer tag at all.

To me, it felt like it was supposed to be an ultra high realistic space simulator, that was super niche like euro/american truck simulator but with the option to play with friends. But that gets ruined actually because of the PvP, if there was no PvP playing with friends would be vastly better because you could get a bunch of friends together and have a fun time doing stuff. But I don't think it was ever supposed to be an MMO. It doesn't even feel like its a social game because all there is in the social part is people ganking new players.

To me, its a game that if you like euro truck simulator and slow drawn out travel times from point a to b, that its a good game for that. With the added bonus of it being in space and some combat and stuff. Where as the multiplayer stuff is just tacked on for whatever reason, but gets ruined due to the ganking.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 16, 2020, 03:59:20 pm »

Yeah, that's accurate.

I don't play online where ganking is a thing. Not where I have to pay around 20% of my current bank account to get my ship back.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 16, 2020, 04:06:29 pm »

All the multiplayer setup means the game is vastly different from what it could be.

Frontier Elite 2 (1993, size of a floppy disk) had a 1:1 ish size scale galaxy including planets with real physics and bodies orbiting. You could travel around and objects would orbit around bodies realistically. It had a setting where you could speed up time and it was because of this you could see orbiting bodies.

When Elite Dangerous was first announced on Kickstarter I backed it immediately in the hopes it would be something similar to Elite 2, unfortunately once plans of multiplayer came that really ruined that notion. So it's very much a hybrid MMO with people jumping in and out of your experience.

I was disappointed by what it ended up with, but still better than backing Star Citizen...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #273 on: October 16, 2020, 04:13:01 pm »

I don't want it to be an MMO, I just want it not to be a pain in the ass to do something simple like going mining with a friend and splitting the profits.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 17, 2020, 01:15:28 am »

When Elite Dangerous was first announced on Kickstarter I backed it immediately in the hopes it would be something similar to Elite 2
Let's not get too nostalgic for Elite 2. Remember having to joust through hordes of pirates in dingy Eagles every single time you jumped to a new system, regardless of how far out in the galaxy? The level of sameness orders of magnitude in excess of ED's? The magic of teleportation the accelerated time enabled?
In most aspects of the original game(s) I can think of, ED is an improvement. The only disappointment for me was doing away with the Newtonian flight model, even though I can appreciate it probably being a good decision from the game design point of view.

I was hoping, hoping, hoping there'd be something out there still worth seeing or discovering. Some speckling of notable stars in the middle of as many novel clusters as they can find, some anomalous features in the band of orange-red bodies plucked from out galaxy and sprayed across space not far from the Bubble. Some interesting formations, organic life, specks of novelty against the grander backdrop of the wide empty galaxy. There is a literal goddamn GALAXY OF STARS AND CELESTIAL BODIES waiting to be speckled with all kinds of secret things.

Best you can hope to do is find an earth-like planet someone hasn't honked at yet and compare whether or not sulfuric fumaroles have been discovered in known space, The Abyss, and the Sanguineous Rim, or ferry digital passengers to well-trodden points of interest, like the center of the nearest nebula.

We'll get space legs eventually, but for what? There's nothing new under the sun.
While I can appreciate the sentiment, I think making a realistic-sized galaxy fun to discover is an unreasonably tall order. What's the exploration status now? 200 million systems out of 400 billion? Likely most of it is just passing through without paying much attention.
That's both extraordinarily huge and vanishingly small. So it's either sink god knows how much development time into unique content that has exceedingly good chance of never being seen by anyone, or make it generic and common. Or make a few well-crafted bits and funnel the players to where you've placed them, like they do with the various story events.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: October 17, 2020, 03:00:07 am »

When Elite Dangerous was first announced on Kickstarter I backed it immediately in the hopes it would be something similar to Elite 2
Let's not get too nostalgic for Elite 2. Remember having to joust through hordes of pirates in dingy Eagles every single time you jumped to a new system, regardless of how far out in the galaxy? The level of sameness orders of magnitude in excess of ED's? The magic of teleportation the accelerated time enabled?
In most aspects of the original game(s) I can think of, ED is an improvement. The only disappointment for me was doing away with the Newtonian flight model, even though I can appreciate it probably being a good decision from the game design point of view.

Don't get me wrong, I get how there are many gameplay annoyances in Elite 2, but I'm just saying for that level of genius to have all of it's features in 1993, in the size of something that is around the same size as an average email still blows my mind. I was hoping they would do something far greater in a procedural universe. Even the early designer videos they were talking about how your player actions can influence the universe, but also how life would go on with factions taking actions.

If it was single player it could have done something similar with Elite 2 with actually being able to fly on planet surfaces, with some interstellar war going on, perhaps even permanent destruction of space stations or even planets.

I had high hopes it's true, but I would have bet on David Braben delivering something like that.

I haven't actually sunk that much time into Elite Dangerous though, maybe like ~10 hours when it first released, once Horizons goes free I may give it another go.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: November 09, 2020, 10:35:17 pm »

So, this was on a pretty steep discount recently and I picked it up.

But, I'm having an issue.

Do any of you use a flight stick for primary control? I'm having a huge problem trying to deal with throttle control in this game using a flight stick.

Mine has a nice 0-100 rotating tab thing, but that doesn't work for this game. Probably because you can go reverse. I set the game to use it anyway, and hitting all the way up increases the throttle ok and tapping to the bottom drops it/reverses ok. But I'm having a devil of a time trying to get it to go into that sweet spot for turning radius, which means the AI just flies circles around me. I couldn't even finish the damn training tutorial because I couldn't hit the shielded drone enough to actually finish it off before going out of bounds and losing control of my ship as it turned me back around. After about 30 minutes I just turned the game off in frustration.

I'm on a laptop, and trying to do both flight stick and keyboard isn't working out well in combat at all. And I tried using mouse and keyboard a bit, but didn't like that at all either.

Any suggestions? It seems like a decent game, but so far all I've had is frustration and a notable lack of fun.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: November 09, 2020, 11:01:52 pm »

No flightstick, but I believe there's a way in the control bindings to set it so that instead of using the throttle swing for 100% forward to 100% backwards, to change it so that the throttle only goes 0-100 and a button press toggles between forward and backwards. That might give you a bit better control over your mid-range speeds.

Try not to get too frustrated. Combat in this game is extremely finicky and can take a while to get used to. Been playing it for years and I still haven't mastered it. I generally depend upon gimballed/turreted weapons which track their targets when I do decide to fight.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: November 09, 2020, 11:26:38 pm »

Ah, that could do the trick. I'll see if I can find that setting. Thanks!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: November 10, 2020, 10:05:30 am »

There are also keybinds for setting throttle to 10% increments, which is less useful for combat but very useful for avoiding overshooting things in supercruise (I think it's 60% at 7 seconds that is the best for that, but I haven't checked in a while).

Lateral thrusters are also very useful in gaining a turn advantage over your opponent, even if they don't directly change your angular velocity.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: November 10, 2020, 01:34:47 pm »

I have a z-axis so I just spin and pitch up/down.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: November 10, 2020, 01:35:43 pm »

I'll have to play with it some more. See if I can get it working smoothly enough to be effective.
Come play Mafia with us!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: February 22, 2021, 08:34:40 pm »

So I finally bought this on sale, and ended up losing my permit to what seems to be the only mapped out systems in the game. Sure, whatever, time to find other places to do missions. I found on asking for methane crystals, and obviously I need an ice ring.

Problem is, I have no idea where an ice ring is, and every system I explore has 0-9 planets of the same planet model (small, pink, and ringless). Flying up to them and exploring said planets does not change this model. How do I at least get the models to change to represent the planets, because this is getting super frustrating to just fly around for hours with nothing to gain but a bunch of barren planets.

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: February 22, 2021, 08:52:47 pm »

So I finally bought this on sale, and ended up losing my permit to what seems to be the only mapped out systems in the game. Sure, whatever, time to find other places to do missions. I found on asking for methane crystals, and obviously I need an ice ring.

Problem is, I have no idea where an ice ring is, and every system I explore has 0-9 planets of the same planet model (small, pink, and ringless). Flying up to them and exploring said planets does not change this model. How do I at least get the models to change to represent the planets, because this is getting super frustrating to just fly around for hours with nothing to gain but a bunch of barren planets.

I wouldn't mind playing with you and helping you to learn the game if you'd like. Ice rings should be an asteroid belt, when your approaching looking for a ring with white rocks in it.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: February 22, 2021, 08:53:27 pm »

You can also search in the galaxy/system map IIRC
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 23