Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23

Author Topic: Elite - Dangerous  (Read 51923 times)

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elite - Dangerous
« Reply #300 on: March 22, 2021, 08:40:48 pm »

i have not played this game to much, but i think it got universe data from online services. might not be so easy to do "just singleplayer".
anyway. dont know much bout macs, but isnt bootcamp some sort of official support to multiboot mac machines to windows? they wrote that this was still supported.
generaly mac users affected by this do have my sympathy, but i think the elite devs did the right thinig here, as the alternative would have been to gimp the for game everyone because apple refuses to implement modern 3d render technologies to their os.

anyway. whats the legal situation here? would the devs not at least have to offer compensation / refound?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: March 22, 2021, 08:59:04 pm »

Yeah I mean I understand their position but still, damn.

And I believe if you multiboot into a Windows OS you'd still have the problem of trying to run a MAC program inside a Windows OS.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: March 22, 2021, 10:17:16 pm »

Hm.  I enjoyed this game for... 9.5 hours apparently, it's fun but I never got into it like my brother did.  Frankly I liked the massive-multiplayer elements, but not quite enough to get invested myself.  I'd rather play such a grindy game single player at my leisure, which is what I did - technically affecting the galaxy, I think, but with no interest in PVP.  (Loads up Freelancer again)

Point is, I'm considering asking for a refund for the *withdrawal* of Mac support.  It isn't about the cash (I got it heavily discounted, though some Steam credit would be very nice).  I'm honestly upset that they'd drop a platform like that.  Fuck their "Compute shaders" (Thanks Culise).  I've never owned a Mac but I've sure known a lot of great people who do, so...

Basically I'm leaning towards asking for a credit refund over this.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: March 22, 2021, 10:41:15 pm »

Yeah I mean I understand their position but still, damn.

And I believe if you multiboot into a Windows OS you'd still have the problem of trying to run a MAC program inside a Windows OS.
no. at this point you will run the windows version. i also read that the devs do not seperate mac and windows customers. if you own the game you own both versions.

Point is, I'm considering asking for a refund for the *withdrawal* of Mac support.....  I've never owned a Mac

does not seem to make a very compelling case.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 10:43:24 pm by motorbitch »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: March 22, 2021, 11:29:05 pm »

It's called solidarity.  I care about people even though they're different from me.
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: March 23, 2021, 12:32:09 am »

It's called solidarity.  I care about people even though they're different from me.
yeh cool. i just doubt there is a solidarity clause in steams refund rules. anyway. its not me running steam so i dont think it makes much sense if we fight over this. try if you like. as said, i am rather sceptical that steam will accept your reason for a refund.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: March 23, 2021, 12:21:57 pm »

P sure they will not give a refund on that basis.

Also, well yeah you could boot into windows then, I suppose. At least you still own a working copy, just not the OS to play it on. Tiny silver lining?
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: March 23, 2021, 12:38:59 pm »

Yeah sorry, I've only refunded very recent purchases so I didn't realize Steam's refund policy is as strict as it is.  Also I was drunkposting, my bad.
She/they

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: March 23, 2021, 01:01:10 pm »

No apology needed, he said with a beer in his hand.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: March 23, 2021, 03:08:32 pm »

Yeah I didn't even bother trying to get a refund - I last played the game apparently in Dec 2017... but I got it on a super sale for only like $6.95US or something silly so it's not even worth the time to try and get Steam to refund it.

Mostly, it's just the principle of the thing!

Also protip for you programmers out there: don't tie your presentation layer so tightly with the gameplay!  (Although if it really is something with compute shaders doing something other than computing graphics, but being used for physics simulation or something, then that would not be possible.)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: March 23, 2021, 03:40:55 pm »

Yeah I guess that doesn't smart as hard, but you're totes right, the principle matters. I don't buy from some companies at all based on principle.

For instance, X: Rebirth is most disappointing and yet utterly infuriating thing I've ever bought. Got it at Full Price. It has it's own category in my steam games list, so it doesn't touch any of the games I like. Feels like I could shoot lightning from my fingertips with the hatred that flows through me.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: May 17, 2021, 01:29:59 pm »

I bought Odyssey today, looking forward to it on the 19th. Pretty much everyone enjoys it a lot and says its like a new game. Those who just want 100% pure space won't like it though. Looks amazing to me though, because personally love it when you leave a ship because it feels a ton more immersive to me. Not leaving a ship in these games causes my claustrophobia anxiety to go too high even if its just a game, cause I can imagine being forever stuck inside a ship which is more horror for me and my mind than it is fun lol.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: May 17, 2021, 01:32:41 pm »

I'm super fukkin excited, been getting back into it to prepare.

Sadly, no ship interiors at launch. My cappuccino machine on the bridge of my Krait II remains just a few feet out of reach.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: May 19, 2021, 07:44:31 am »

Today is the day :D

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: May 19, 2021, 01:05:28 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23