Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Turned into weres, but still "needing" medical treatment  (Read 1698 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Turned into weres, but still "needing" medical treatment
« on: June 20, 2020, 11:58:14 am »

I had a were attack that infected two kids before the critter was disposed of. The kids were brought to hospital where I promptly bricked them into two of the rooms, although they got a little bit of treatment before the walls were put up.

The odd thing here is that both of the kids are locked in "Rest", and both of them require treatment in the form of dressing and suturing, with one also needing cleaning, but they have no injuries after turning (as expected). While turned, they remain on the beds (instead of e.g. toppling it or the traction bench), although I haven't checked what they think they're doing.

Is this a known issue, or is it time for another bug report?

Edit: Checked the kids when turned and no activity was shown. They also moved around, with one ending up sleeping on the floor and the other back in bed.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 12:05:12 pm by PatrikLundell »

Moeteru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Turned into weres, but still "needing" medical treatment
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2020, 04:40:57 pm »

I have no experience of the healthcare side of this, but I had a fort with a were-dwarf who spent several years locked in an isolation ward and never toppled any of the furniture or workshops. I think building destroyer logic in general is unreliable at the moment.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2020, 11:38:46 am »

Strange! I would guess, "rest" would change to "play", at some point, if they are not currently injured. Maybe try unpainting their caged room, hospital activity zone. So that bed isnt part of patient care.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 02:48:22 am »

Removing the hospital zone for one of the weres while it was turned (the state of the game when I started the latest session) caused it to end up with "No job" instead of rest after turning back. However, the treatment need wasn't removed.

I'm not sure building destroyer logic is unreliable or just different:
- FBs seem to be completely uninterested in bait doors, and to kill them I have to single step as they try to path into the fortress, manually locking doors in front of and behind of it. While trapped, they just run back and forth rather than trying to destroy a door.
- Meanwhile, trolls/ogres and building destroying experiments seem to primarily try to run through doors rather than stop to destroy them, but will try to destroy doors if they cannot get through. I've also had marauding troll/ogre/experiment invaders topple the embark wagon and a surface workshop, as well as doors to get at cats (the invaders got inside through a tree hole in the roof and killed my guard cats) and a vampire (locked in on the surface for just such an "unfortunate accident"). The bug where building destroyers got trapped if they happened to get immediately adjacent to a door may or may not have been addressed. I've seen cases where they've just stood adjacent to a door, as well as cases where they've moved freely away from it.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2020, 07:37:12 am »

I don't have any relevant story to share with hospitals – but in 43.05 I did witness a case of a perpetual bring-a-drink job even though I could not for the life of me find any of my seven dwarves who was thirsty. It was shortly after embark as if someone worked a little too long and tipped over the threshold while on their way to getting refreshment, but that was enough to register as a blip on the wellness matrix. No matter what I tried I couldn't get rid of it until I had made a bucket and the job went through. I suspect that medical (and adjacent) 'orders' are not ended when the condition of the patient improves; unlike manager's orders the interface doesn't show the master list for us to forcibly delete.

I think you would need to un-wall the tots long enough to let hospital staff update their records.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2020, 07:42:43 am »

Yes, I'm reasonably sure treatment will remove the need for treatment, but I'm not prepared to take the risk of doing so. When it comes to bringing water, yes, it seems to frequently be triggered by dorfs that are a bit thirsty after a job: that check is probably triggered a bit too early.

TheyreAllGullyDorfs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2020, 10:49:18 am »

@PatrikLundell

No risk if you do it right after they turn back.  You would a full month before they shifted again.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2020, 11:34:16 am »

@PatrikLundell

No risk if you do it right after they turn back.  You would a full month before they shifted again.
I know that ordering a priority wall removal, followed by treatment, followed by an unprioritizable wall building job has a good chance of being performed within a month. However the weres will leave their burrows (assuming I set ones up: they're still in the kid one) as soon as they're treated, and won't return until they've had their fill of socializing/eating/drinking/praying/reading, which by now should be in about a year. As soon as they're treated they'll move about 10 steps before trying to figure out what to do next, and if there is no "next" within the burrow (I can assign the bed, but they're not tired) they'll just stay rooted to the spot. I could set up drinks stockpiles in the rooms (or, for that matter, anywhere, and assign their burrows to that position. They'll get thirsty before the end of the month. However, odds are they'll escape that burrow immediately after drinking. A door can be locked while they're drinking, allowing time for a wall to be erected. All that carries risk, and includes a lot of micro management, including constant surveillance of the weres.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2020, 12:47:19 pm »

A dwarf was hungup, in my game. He had a brick and was trying to build a U/D stairwell, over there on the far side of a raised drawbridge. His actions were first halted, job not canceled, by terror. I dont think his calm reseting to a productive state occured. In this instance, I was able to remove stuck dwarf in job list. Cancel job was greyed out, DF jobs list let me remove from task, the problem dwarf, however. Just not with c, cancel. I cannot remember the key I clicked to do it. But he immediately dropped the 15U brick, and proceeded to socialize.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.