Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Minecraft+Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 76138 times)

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft+Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #90 on: November 14, 2012, 09:54:43 pm »

Minecraft fanbase is insanely giant because its E for everyone, and I can think of tons of additions that would add depth and a little random goodness to it without messing up the E.. And I play (somewhat) equal amounts of Minecraft and DF..

One of the points that grates on me is that Minecraft is a very simplistic-looking game, probably led folks to think it was going to grow rapidly in content (aka pixels).. Instead we have seen lots of growth but it isn't happening quick enough when you compare the graphics, or the final total worth of the updated material. The block and ore selection is pretty cheap still, the variation and uniquity to biomes is still pretty thin, the enemies are beyond cheap and can be shined up a couple hundred different (easy) ways..

Glass stairs and doors would take any modder from MC forums a day or two to complete the reskin on, maybe even something like a couple hours, dunno because I'm no modder.. but I have reskinned the baby Jesus out of some stuff..

Sure we can make our own skins, but "Steve" isn't enough (sorry ladies, E for everyone = E for dudes)! Makes me think of WoW's fistfulls of money and their awful amount of choices for customizing a new character. The shoddy and poorly colored wool selection isn't good either.. I do, however, love the classic minecraft "dungeon" (a single square room with chest(s) + monster spawner)! It shows that a ton of effort and care went into its creative creation! That, or its a ratty placeholder that was okay for a small underfunded team but is pretty unacceptable for a multi-million dollar earner and fairly staffed dev team. And it still sits there today, as crappy as ever.

The mineshafts are also ugly and uninspired and don't really add much to the game besides a repetitious maze to get lost in. Nether stronghold is decently varied, I suppose.

As far as my opinion of graphics, I both love that Minecraft has cheap graphics (because I too am cheap, and its supposed to be friendly to older PCs, which mine is rapidly becoming), and hate MC's graphics because when you're dealing in NES graphics in the year 2012 you better be cranking em out. And I despise ASCII graphics and use tiles any chance I get, even though those tiles end up representing the same general usefulness as ASCII.. If looking at an enemy in a roguelike leads to lots and lots of info on that monster then ASCII is cool, if the in-game descriptions are nonexistant then it should be backed up with tiles.. I do hate mainstream games because they've decided we're all idiots that don't like being challenged and we apparently want games that can be beat in 10-20 hours, and each sequel is now more recycled content and less features and length.

For the money they've made and for how much they "love" their fans, its difficult to agree when you look at early MC versus the current release. Undoubtedly improved, sure, but if you stare out at your Minecraft world and there arent any living creatures in front of you, then nothing is moving or changing besides the sky rotating. And nothing will move or change without the presence of a player or mob. Endermen are as close as its come so far, and they carry blocks aimlessly around. Wow. Staring out into the wilderness is the same now as it was on day 1.

Besides what you can do with flowing water and redstone components, nothing "creative" happens without someone making it happen, and the whole "creative" part boils down to how creatively you can ghetto-use a limited Lego bucket of blocks to create the most acceptable looking construction possible.. Maybe the best I've seen is the snow falling, or melting, or stuff catching fire around a surface lava pool right after worldgen.. And lightning is supposed to be able to strike trees and start fires, and also strike and supercharge creepers, two mildly cool things I've never seen happen. Seriously underfed when it comes to a dynamic world.

Guess all I'm really angered by is the amount of money going in versus amount/quality of progress coming out, and a lot of the updates have been fairly multiplayer oriented (emeralds for money, potions being generally combat-related, the new beacons being combat related, capes for multiplayer but not for singleplayer). Either reinforce the creative aspects with more design blocks and variations, or enhance the combat a little better than "Ooo, look, skeletons and spiders and zombies! Those are definately not the most bland and stereotypical enemies ever, and even if they were then their stunning AI would make up for it, or.. Uh..". And combat diversity isn't created by just adding a jump attack :| How long will sword and bow be the only two weapons.. I played a game once that had you relying on nothing but sword/bow/bomb, it was even blocky! Called Legend of Zelda for the Nintendo Entertainment System, released 1986.. I remember it like it was yesterday (I don't, and I was 4 years old then), but that was 25 years ago and a sword and a bow generally doesn't constitute an arsenal anymore (if they are going to end up focusing more on the combat side of things).  I'd probably have worse things to say, thought, if MC had a boomerang..

And I figured we would have a couple more mine-able ores/gems/anything by now besides pathetic emeralds to reinforce the "MINE" part of MC.. Bleh, this is so pointless :) Should just boil this post down to a short-winded list of main points :P I apologize.. twice!

And I'm the one that ressurected this ancient and inflammatory topic :D For shame :( I do wish the map converter was still kept up too :| I just selfishly want more DF in my MC.. You guys mod up something amazing! Teamwork and.. GO! ... *waits*

Bolzan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 15, 2012, 12:19:47 am »

Hmm... I think having your fortress being importable as a map for minecraft would be a pretty fun idea, though I've no idea how all the lava deathtraps are going to work...

Boatmurdered in Minecraft, anyone? (The ACTUAL thing :D)

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 15, 2012, 08:54:59 am »

Yeah, I too wish minecraft was a little less legos, and a little more game.  I spent a lot of time digging out huge mines, collecting millions of dollars worth of metals and diamonds, made awesome armor and weapons, and then it's like... ok, now what?  And I really can't see a great answer to that question...

I sorta feel the same way about DF, but at least I know there are plans in the works to address the "now what" question.  When I can send out my armies to take over the world, it'll justify why I made all that steel.  When I can buy a barony, it'll justify why I traded 10 billion dwarfbucks worth of gold crafts.

But hell, some people play legos in DF too.  It'd be cool to be able to see that in minecraft.

Pyro627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 15, 2012, 11:55:42 am »

Who bumped this? I got three pages in before I figured out that this post was two years old.
Here's a tip, though... Use Russian characters in your WPA5 passphrase. If your spontaneous AI is anything like my spontaneous AI (not as aggressive as yours, good conversation, but actually worse than me at chess*), it can't handle any character outside of the CODEPAGE 437 list.

*I hope. It could just be lulling me into a false sense of security.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 15, 2012, 12:08:29 pm »

Indeed, it was a bit of a necro...
Probably the polite thing to do would have been to create a new topic with a link to the old one
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]