Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is the new AMD FX-8350 the best DF CPU?  (Read 5364 times)

Haytrid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is the new AMD FX-8350 the best DF CPU?
« on: November 07, 2012, 09:36:44 am »

Anyone running one of these new piledriver CPU's yet?  Are these the best CPU's for DF now?  Not because of the 8-core because I know DF doesn't use that but because of the natural 4.0/4.2 clock speed.  I seem to remember reading on the forums that DF favored single high clock speeds.

Have any of you zealots with huge fortresses tried revisiting some of your lag-death fortresses on this CPU?

What other CPU features does DF prefer?

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Is the new AMD FX-8350 the best DF CPU?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 09:40:46 am »

I seem to recall that the biggest improvement you can get is faster ram speed, I'm assuming that this 4ghz processsor would probably support the fastest ram you can get tehse days, and if so you would probably get stupidly good FPS.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 09:52:43 am »

Yeah, higher ram bus speed ( I think it's displayed as DDR number ) improves DF a lot more, because it's very memory-demanding program. Cache and high CPU processing rate don't helps much if they can't get the data to munch on :D

Of course having both as good as possible would make for the best DF machine!

Having more cores seems to decrease the throughput in general, but that might've been related to heat issues and a bit dated to a few years ago.

ZimminyCricket

• Bay Watcher
  • Just a crazy guy who does crazy things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 01:16:28 am »

If you want a boost in frame rate and are on a spinning hard drive, copy the game to a usb key, and play it from there.  Also this is a good way to get the game spread throughout your company at whatever job you have, and you could probably pass it off as some super heavy number crunching whizbang manifold making piece of engineering software.  No worries boss, it's just something too technical for you to understand.   :o 

And if this game ever goes multiplayer, you'll be able to play with your IT guys(Trust me, if they haven't heard of this game, introduce it to them, you'll be their best friend FOREVER.) 
And then there are crazy buggers like me...

Coding an AI to try and surmount the insurmountable odds of failure.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 05:02:17 am »

If you want a boost in frame rate and are on a spinning hard drive, copy the game to a usb key, and play it from there.  Also this is a good way to get the game spread throughout your company at whatever job you have, and you could probably pass it off as some super heavy number crunching whizbang manifold making piece of engineering software.  No worries boss, it's just something too technical for you to understand.   :o 

And if this game ever goes multiplayer, you'll be able to play with your IT guys(Trust me, if they haven't heard of this game, introduce it to them, you'll be their best friend FOREVER.)

USB's actually slower when it comes to data transfer rate than internal hard drive, SSD would be the way to go. BUT! DF's bottleneck isn't the primary storage rate, outside of saving/loading game but that's still rare enough that it's not a improvement. Also, USB write rate is a lot slower than even SSD rate.

Portability, on other hand, is good argument for USB stick :D

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 06:05:29 am »

What about playing it on a NAS?
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 09:56:00 am »

Anyone running one of these new piledriver CPU's yet?  Are these the best CPU's for DF now?  Not because of the 8-core because I know DF doesn't use that but because of the natural 4.0/4.2 clock speed.  I seem to remember reading on the forums that DF favored single high clock speeds.

Have any of you zealots with huge fortresses tried revisiting some of your lag-death fortresses on this CPU?

The best CPU for DF is an Intel Ivy Bridge.
AMD is far behind intel in IPC (Instruction per clock) and this is what's important to DF. Choosing an AMD cpu for DF is a poor choice.

My 2600k Sandy Bridge (one generation behind Ivy) is clocked at 4.7Ghz and excel as playing DF.

To speed up DF load and save, put your DF folder in a RAM Drive.
That is, a folder in your RAM. This is an order of magnitude faster then the best SSD. You can use the free software imdisk to setup your ram drive, and automatically keep a backup.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 10:24:58 am »

AMD is far behind intel in IPC (Instruction per clock) and this is what's important to DF. Choosing an AMD cpu for DF is a poor choice.

My 2600k Sandy Bridge (one generation behind Ivy) is clocked at 4.7Ghz and excel as playing DF.

That is, a folder in your RAM. This is an order of magnitude faster then the best SSD. You can use the free software imdisk to setup your ram drive, and automatically keep a backup.

Wait... you can DO that!?

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 10:36:35 am »

Wait... you can DO that!?

As long as the whole thing can fit in RAM you does have left and don't exceeds around 2 or 3 gigs in total, you could do it. Though 64 bits version could probably go past that 2 or 3 gig limit. Not really worth it outside of faster seasonal saves probably.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 10:52:30 am »

It's amazing how things change.  In the old days (DOS era, insofar as PCs are concerned) people used to go for RAM Doublers, which was useful for people with 256Kb RAM or less[1].  And others went for RAMdisks (useful for working off of floppies only, where one SS/DD (40 track) 5.25" one might be the "system" disk (360kb, wasn't that?), and you might have swapped it out in order to put in a program disk unless you had a B: drive as well.

I evenheard of someone using a RAM Doubler and a RAMDisk.  I'm not sure what they ended up with, except a load of overhead lost in both capacity and performance. ;)

(Actually, if the RAM-doubling involved compression, maybe they ended up with more effective working space, but slower at it.  But if you're just running at the speed of your typing it might not have been noticeable.)

Erm, sorry, gone all nostalgic.  Ignore me.

I was also mentioning the amount of memory (probably) needed, but now I've been ninjaed on that issue, so I'll snippety snip that out again.

[1] The first 'proper'[2] PC I used was less than that.  And less than 10Mb HDD.  Not sure it was fully 100% IBM-PC compatible, but did well, and had good (albeit monochrome) graphics with its Hercules graphics card and high end (albeit green) monitor.

[2] Though I first used a DOS-alike on a BBC/Torch Graduate combo.  (No, not ADFS, which was a separate boot disk and called GDFS, anyway.)

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 10:57:58 am »

I often play starcraft 2 from a ram drigve with imdisk.
I create a 8Gb ramdrive, copy sc2 over it then enjoy how fast the the game loads in the loading screen. There isn't much point to it however.

imdisk does not have a 2Gb limit.
But you need to have enough ram.

DF is very small, and 1Gb is plenty.

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2012, 11:01:06 am »

Indeed back then after my upgrade to 64Mb of RAM on my Pentium 166 I was playing Duke3D in DOS 6.1 in a RAMDRIVE.
Duke 3d was about 30Mb, and so it would fit!
I wanted to play Quake that way as well, but IIRC it was about 50Mb tat would leave to little ram to play.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2012, 12:01:12 pm »

I have 8Gb of RAM on my Ivy Bridge laptop. Would it be worth it in this case to go for the RAM drive setup, or would the loss of actual working memory to the storage be a bigger factor than the speed gain?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2012, 12:04:32 pm »

I have 8Gb of RAM on my Ivy Bridge laptop. Would it be worth it in this case to go for the RAM drive setup, or would the loss of actual working memory to the storage be a bigger factor than the speed gain?

If you think faster seasonal save is worth it, give it a shot. Personally I don't think it's worth it, DF don't uses HD outside of loading or saving ( at least no usage that I've seen ). If your computer have a core to dedicate to DF and another core to do all kind of stuff, it won't hurt much, I imagine :D

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2012, 01:30:19 pm »

If you think faster seasonal save is worth it, give it a shot. Personally I don't think it's worth it, DF don't uses HD outside of loading or saving ( at least no usage that I've seen ). If your computer have a core to dedicate to DF and another core to do all kind of stuff, it won't hurt much, I imagine :D

With 8Gb, setup a 1Gb ramdrive for DF. The remaining 7Gb is PLENTY.

It is pointless to dedicate a core to DF, let your OS execute its processes in peace :)
Pages: [1] 2