Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 20

Author Topic: Gimbal: MP space shooter with player-built ships (now on Steam!)  (Read 36987 times)

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gimbal: MP space shooter with player-built ships ($10 for this + 2 games)
« Reply #135 on: November 11, 2012, 04:04:22 pm »

You can also get kills with flares. And kill yourself :I

Negativa

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 11, 2012, 04:18:13 pm »

What with all the ramming talk, i couldn't resist making one.  Add bomb packs to the end of the 'lance' if necessary.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 11, 2012, 04:22:58 pm »

I don't think you needed to add any text to that post.  Just that picture, that'll do.  It's pretty great too.

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 11, 2012, 04:24:19 pm »

Hey, you know how its really fun, the way you can move around the crate in the test area with impacts or clawcraft? How the crates will spins and accelerates based on where you apply the force? For a while I thought that the for some reason the terrain in the normal server maps was fixed in place, despite this awesome feature being in place. I was wrong. When testing my heavy Mythos ram, I discovered that it's completely moveable, just like all three sizes of crate. It's just incredibly massive, even the smaller stuff. I was able to move things either by hitting at max speed (little over 1000) or getting in a position where I could push steadily (really, really hard to get going, but once you do you can push for ages until your armor breaks.

On the standard goonhaven map ( the one with the big circle made of thick outer circle segments, thin inner segments and a cental solid ball) I was able to push one of the thick segments so as to close the gap and a single dead on hit on a thin inner segment sent it halfway across the map. Three hits on the ball sent it out of the circle. It's worth mentioning that all this happens incredibly slowly, it took maybe 90 seconds to 2 minutes for the ball to leave the circle, and maybe 60 seconds or the thin inner segment. All this is totally useless of course, but I did manage to swing around a pointy spar (you know, like from those maps that are a big circle like a cog or sawblade made of pointy spars with gaps.... you know what I mean, right?) so it hit the enemy carrier.

Use this pointless knowledge as you will.

What with all the ramming talk, i couldn't resist making one.  Add bomb packs to the end of the 'lance' if necessary.

That's great! Looks like an actually flyable version of my rocket axe knight.

Also, welcome to the forum!
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 11, 2012, 04:32:23 pm »

I realized that map items could be moved when I slammed 20x 50mm into a thin ring section a few times and it rotated.  Then I experimented and fired 4 bison at things and watched them drift.  Bison hits will also send the enemy carrier flying off, the explosion is so massive.  It may be usable to make an extremely long game with an infinite frag cap, with the purpose being to destroy the enemy carrier, and a bison may be used to slam the carrier into terrain to damage it.

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 11, 2012, 04:47:42 pm »

That would also give terrain moving a purpose, as right now it takes to long to do anything useful. But if you had an infinitely  long game on one of those maps with a thick maze of terrain in the middle it could actually become useful, blocking off or opening pathways and the like, as well as trying to slam lighter stuff into the carrier. With all the bison moving shenanigans and so on ( I guess that other high impact stuff like bombs could move things as well, if concentrated. Have t odo some !!SCIENCE!!), that could be a great gamemode.

Also, while I remember, I saw a ship that had nothing but flak for thrust/maneuver. Awesome concept and it was actually pretty quick.   
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 11, 2012, 04:49:54 pm »

Ideally, the carriers would also get massive armor, so that collisions would be the only reliable way to deal damage.  Gimbal Pinball.

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 11, 2012, 05:07:17 pm »

The possibilities! The possibilities! The Humanity! If there's some way of editing terrain features (pretty likely) then you could make slightly less dense sphere and play pool, with each player being their own cue ball. I am overly excited by this.

Tres_Huevos

• Bay Watcher
  • All I want for Christmas are your two front teeth.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 11, 2012, 05:55:33 pm »

Flak does create a fair bit of force. I'm playing about with a ship that has 20ish flak guns covering a 90 degree arc in front of the ship (a giant space shotgun, essentially) and if I just fire them off it generates enough thrust to get me up to about 600ish mph. If they were more concentrated, they'd probably be more effective for that.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #144 on: November 11, 2012, 07:09:05 pm »

I get fuckawful connectcivity all the time, game drops connection every 5-mins. And only now when I managed to design a ship with adequate pewpew potential.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 11, 2012, 08:23:22 pm »

The more guns you have on your ship (and other people have on theirs), the laggier it'll get.

You can always host your own server, of course, though you get less money from bots, it seems.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #146 on: November 12, 2012, 12:01:42 am »

Here's a fun ship I've been playing with lately:

You can't really tell from the picture, but it's quite complex. The armored section you see is turret mounted, as are the guns. It has a ballistic CPU, automatically turning both the armor and the guns toward your enemy. It uses a double turret (stacked on top of each other) to make the rotation faster. The little gun block on the back of the arm is eight 120mm cannons set to fire sequentially.The guns are far enough back that most explosive hits to the armored section doesn't hurt the guns, so as long as you're facing the incoming missiles it won't do much damage. Eventually the splash damage will destroy the front arm holding the armor plates, but by then the plates would have been pretty wrecked anyway. The way the plates are turned seems to prevent 50mm HE rounds from destroying the arm holding them, although I haven't tested it against the 120mm HE rounds yet. Maneuverability is fair, although it takes a bit more work to pilot due to the lack of a stabilizer and the imbalance caused by the swiveling armor piece and gun recoil. This actually ends up being helpful, as the wobble of your flight path helps with avoiding incoming fire. Absolute max speed is 487, with 400+ being easy to maintain.

I played a bit with it on a server with a bunch of other mid to max rank people, and ended up with 30 kills 1 death. The death was due to getting a bit overconfident and charging at their carrier, one of the other team spawned in behind me and managed to put a missile volley into the gun block while I was killing another one. It wrecked one of my maneuvering thrusters and all my guns. I still managed to fly half way back to my carrier, blocking incoming shots with the rotating armor piece until it was destroyed from sustained fire.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 12, 2012, 03:31:28 am »

@Tres

I've found that the pure act of turning a gun sideways/backwards already slows down the ship massivly, like the difference between the same ship, with 6x LR Missle facing forward and 6x Missles facing wherever is about 500 mp/h of max speed...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 12, 2012, 03:44:42 am »

All components have aerodynamics of some sort.  Facing them the "wrong way" can ruin your profile.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #149 on: November 12, 2012, 04:29:41 am »

The more guns you have on your ship (and other people have on theirs), the laggier it'll get.

You can always host your own server, of course, though you get less money from bots, it seems.

I don't get vey bad latency, when the goddam name can find a server, connect to it and stay connected for longer than 2 minutes...

And I present to you my masterpeice. I got more kills with it than with all my other ships combined.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Missles are the bane of it though. I wonder if I could squeeze more speed into it, but all my attempts at improving this design failed.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 08:11:27 pm by Djohaal »
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 20