Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20

Author Topic: Gimbal: MP space shooter with player-built ships (now on Steam!)  (Read 36744 times)

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
Re: Gimbal: MP space shooter with player-built ships
« Reply #225 on: September 20, 2013, 10:45:40 am »

Here's the changes from the three updates since the the expansion (naturally in chronological order):

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The netcode related ones are:
Fixed the main cause of sync errors and possibly all sync errors
Improved load times slightly
Added server drain feature

Not a ground breaking improvement, but solid steady progress. Depending on how long it's been since you've played, there are a bunch of other fixes as well, but there are way too many patch notes for me to list here. In recent 2 vs 2 with excessive packet spamming there was no noticeable lag for me, crazy amounts of light guns will still lag a server, but nobody really uses 30+ lightgun ships anymore (and they are less powerful now as well as being on the boring side of silly). 
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: September 20, 2013, 11:08:58 am »

aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

So I got this game from a humble bundle ages ago and upon update it demanded the key again insertwhale

I've long lost that thing due to silly causes. What do.

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: September 20, 2013, 11:13:50 am »

Either email support@gimbalgame.com or check through your emails for the humble bundle one, the key should be there somewhere.
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #228 on: September 22, 2013, 04:39:27 pm »

Has anybody had this issue where Gimbal gets absolutely no input from keyboard or mouse? Wanted to get back into this. Sent an e-mail to support, waiting response, will post solution if there is one :)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #229 on: September 23, 2013, 09:28:51 pm »

Just a heads-up - for some reason the game was recognising numlock as being always pressed. Pressing that a couple of times eventually made it work. It was hogging all the input :) Now it's working!

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 11, 2013, 10:09:43 pm »

Haven't played for a long while, though I might pick it up again when I'm not busy with a ton of other stuff.

Reason I stopped was mainly because I sucked at the game. I mean, the idea of building your own ship is appealing and all, but in the end, ability to turn and move is not fast enough to make it plausible to dodge anyone else's shots, so combat becomes somewhat dull. I kinda got frustrated with my light ships being completely incapable of avoiding murderous railgun tank-ships....

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 11, 2013, 10:13:00 pm »

I stopped because there was never anyone on but bots, but that's a vicious circle. :P
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 11, 2013, 10:20:54 pm »

Maybe we could all get together and play a game every once in a while? It'd be easy for us to simply make rules that disallow certain strategies like autotracking railgun heavydoom stations or superfast missiledeploying jets, etc.
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #233 on: November 19, 2013, 08:59:14 pm »

i got this today. I suck.
I got nothing

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 20, 2013, 01:37:31 am »

i got this today. I suck.

How does online play work now that it is in steam? Easier to find games/more players?

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #235 on: November 20, 2013, 06:35:14 am »

I saw about 15 servers, most of them had from 10-20 players on. Though from what I can tell, the games seem to just be zerg-fests with each team just rushing and shooting, mostly anyways.

I guess you would need voice-coms and play with friends.
I got nothing

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 20, 2013, 05:13:07 pm »

I saw about 15 servers, most of them had from 10-20 players on. Though from what I can tell, the games seem to just be zerg-fests with each team just rushing and shooting, mostly anyways.

I guess you would need voice-coms and play with friends.
Anyone up for steam voice and total domination of a particular server?  I figure if we're working together, we could really utilize some heavy, slow, armored ships in formation...

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: November 20, 2013, 06:54:00 pm »

CTF is pretty interesting once you realize what to do with the flags. (Gadzooks! The tethers are actually useful!)

(Sadly, steam won't import my player level (4 stars x 3), so I went back to non-steam play. Leveling up again would be fine if I'd be 4 stars x 4, instead of 4 stars x 1. :V)

Edit: Reinstalled the steam version because girlinhat's idea is interesting. This happened:

All of my what.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 07:40:31 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 21, 2013, 07:29:22 pm »

Edit: Reinstalled the steam version because girlinhat's idea is interesting. This happened:

All of my what.
Yeah, when I saw that, it kind of annoyed me, because the video they have there on Steam hardly shows any gameplay; it's essentially the devs saying a bunch of random stupid things.
Not very convincing.

The title of the game doesn't help either. :P

AzeTheGreat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gimbal: MP space shooter with player-built ships (now on Steam!)
« Reply #239 on: November 24, 2013, 04:51:49 pm »

Ignoring that particular bug, and the less than spectacular game page, this game is incredible.  The sheer variety of ships you can make makes it worthwhile. The only thing holding this game back is a lack of players.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20