Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 20

Author Topic: Gimbal: MP space shooter with player-built ships (now on Steam!)  (Read 37092 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Gimbal: MP space shooter with player-built ships (now on Steam!)
« Reply #240 on: November 24, 2013, 06:26:31 pm »

The single biggest thing the game is missing, is structured matches.  I'd LOVE to see a game with rules that weren't player-enforced.  Like, you may only have one ship of $10,000 and the rest must be $3000 or less.  The large ship cannot respawn, while the smaller can respawn up to 3 times.

As it is, the game is little more than a series of shootouts, which is fun for a while but simply fails to retain interest.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: November 24, 2013, 06:41:36 pm »

As I said before, the unforgiving physics engine doesn't really allow for the agility necessary to make skill a huge factor in this game. Acceleration and changing directions is too slow, even for the lightest of ships. In the end, you usually just try to missle/railgun your enemies from a distance, because the further you are, the less likely you are to get hit as long as you're moving with some sort of speed.

I kind of want to try engineering a light ship with propulsion on all sides so I could move quickly and freely in combat, but I feel like even that would be pointless considering how fast most gunshots move in comparison, and how quickly the ship would be blown apart if it were hit even once.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: November 24, 2013, 07:47:49 pm »

Yeah, I've tried building ships with strafe capability before, and it tends to be difficult to do, and less effective than either putting on lots of armor or building them with a movement-aiming system which causes the ship to wobble (like m-stabilizers, IIRC).

Even then, lasers with the auto-aim CPU won't be fooled by a ship that's wobbling, since they don't have a travel time.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: November 24, 2013, 07:48:32 pm »

Actually, using those impulse thrusters... they fire like once a second, very strongly, in one direction.  You can use those to strafe and dodge if you put them on Q and E.

AzeTheGreat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: November 25, 2013, 01:30:40 pm »

Actually, using those impulse thrusters... they fire like once a second, very strongly, in one direction.  You can use those to strafe and dodge if you put them on Q and E.

THIS.  If you can pull it off you'll juke everyone out.  Granted, you pretty much can't have armor or you won't move, but its still fun.  Besides, the agility of ships isn't that bad if you design them correctly (I assume you're using the stabilizer, have you turned yaw rate all the way up to 1.00?).  I think we'll start seing more server options once the game gets more players.  As is, it doesn't really have the player base for such niche game modes.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 01:40:19 pm by AzeTheGreat »

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: November 25, 2013, 04:19:21 pm »

i hardly ever see enough people for a match on non-dm public servers.

CTF is pretty generic, but it brings up decent tactical situations to play through.

Impulse strafing is goofy.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 04:37:02 pm by Rez »

AzeTheGreat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: November 25, 2013, 06:22:42 pm »

Impulse strafing is goofy.

As are bullet tornadoes.  Essentially, get one or two tractor beams and a fast ship.  Simultaneously fire your guns and tractor beams. The first few shots might break free, but after that they'll rapidly orbit around you.  It doesn't sound all that practical, but against anything you can catch up to, its an almost guarenteed kill. 

Its the crazy ships like this that make the game so great. 

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: November 25, 2013, 06:26:14 pm »

Flak spam and attraction orbs can ruin someone's FPS as you fly past them.  One of the most meta game tactics ever!  Combine with a fast ship and suicide bombs, and you can do significant damage to the enemy carrier!

AzeTheGreat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: November 25, 2013, 07:41:13 pm »

Heh, or bomb packs with repulsion fields.  Those are fun on mini maps in free for all.  Click.  Right click. Repeatx5. K.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #249 on: November 25, 2013, 09:17:46 pm »

I kinda wish I hadnt bought this, it's not very fun IMO. And when you start, you just have some crappy ship options, so you have to basically get killed over and over to try and rank up to open new options. As stated in other posts, maneuvering isn't as important as it should/could be.

Also, the game modes are just blah.
I got nothing

AzeTheGreat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: November 25, 2013, 09:35:20 pm »

I kinda wish I hadnt bought this, it's not very fun IMO. And when you start, you just have some crappy ship options, so you have to basically get killed over and over to try and rank up to open new options. As stated in other posts, maneuvering isn't as important as it should/could be.

Also, the game modes are just blah.

There was a demo...but whats done is done.
Early game balance is commonly complained about by most players, but, in the long run, its not a big deal.  You can always just rank up against bots (set it to no enemy bots and give the carrier no weapons for super easy money).  And, with some skill/luck, its entirely possible to hold your own on the newb server with $1800T ships.  Ideally, more players would also ensure that you're only playing against players of similar skill level.

Geen

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm gonna live forever, or die trying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: November 26, 2013, 12:57:52 am »

Oh man, I remember trying the beta-demo way back. All the awesome shenanigans we had, with people making ships capable of punching each other with spiked arms, crazy ships with tentacles covered in guns, and using absurd amounts of engines and grappling hooks to give each other rides at unholy speeds

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: November 26, 2013, 01:16:08 am »

Oh man, I remember trying the beta-demo way back. All the awesome shenanigans we had, with people making ships capable of punching each other with spiked arms, crazy ships with tentacles covered in guns, and using absurd amounts of engines and grappling hooks to give each other rides at unholy speeds
I really want to play a game in which the only goal is to destroy the carrier.  The conditions are that ships come in pairs.  One ship may equip engines but no weapons.  The other ship may only equip weapons but no engines.  Either ship may have as many machines or layers of armor as they want.

AzeTheGreat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: November 26, 2013, 06:42:46 pm »

Oh gosh... The chaos that would ensue from uncoordinated teams...but that would be a good exercise in cooperation.  I think a general mission editor that allowed the creation of limits and goals for each team would be the best, since players could make all the quirky scenarios they want without using Collin's time (the dev).

Squanto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: December 04, 2013, 12:29:54 am »

**Performs necromantic gestures**
I was messing around with stupid forms of propulsion tonight because I'm tired and not thinking straight.  I've just found an amazingly fun/inefficient form by tethering a repair drone on a really long extendable arm so it tries to approach and repair you.  Have recorded speeds up to 1k mph in testing grounds.  No brakes though, and terrible handling.  Gunna mess with it more in the morning.
Probably no reason other than it giving them a larger B-peen.
The B is for Business.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 20