Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20

Author Topic: Gimbal: MP space shooter with player-built ships (now on Steam!)  (Read 37050 times)

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
Re: Gimbal: MP space shooter with player-built ships (now on Steam!)
« Reply #270 on: July 21, 2014, 02:07:02 am »

There was a second smaller update earlier this morning, there was no anouncement what it was for and I have not noticed anything different.

Also....
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 21, 2014, 07:25:06 am »

There was a second smaller update earlier this morning, there was no anouncement what it was for and I have not noticed anything different.

It's to fix the keys-not-working issue, and some other bugs (reverting to super admiral, being stuck in journeyer status, etc):

http://www.gimbalgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=813#p3975
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 07:29:25 am by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Darkening Kaos

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Gibbering Idiot +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 21, 2014, 07:52:05 am »

Ah, thanx, must have gone up after I checked.
So! Failed to make peace, war looms, kill the infidels... what are our plans for the weekend?
The Giant Moles in the caverns of my current fort breed like crazy, even while regularly being decimated by other beasts entering them...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: July 21, 2014, 08:13:13 am »

And as always, there's no one playing...  I was dinking around in my new capital ship, but there were only bots to shoot, and that's really not fun.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: July 21, 2014, 08:25:30 am »

We need to organise a bay12 server one weekend for all of us to go on.
Did someone say... Steam Group?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 02, 2014, 02:12:49 pm »

So, Jefmajor was streaming this for a bit yesterday and it looked pretty fun, and it was on sale for $4, so I managed to get it. Then I had fun with ~5 or 6 people (maybe 4, I hadn't been paying attention to if there were bots) earlier today (looknig at the server browser it looks like they're still there), eventually putting together this ship, which I've liked quite a bit. Its got turrets and a reasonable turn, a little bit of armor, and fits exactly into the limit for the noob server where all the active people were. Though there isn't any room for flares as a result.

Spoiler: Arty III (click to show/hide)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: December 03, 2014, 10:15:10 pm »

I bought it after Aklyon was like 'hey, >everything he said in that post' and screwed around before eventually making lasers.

...I am too sleepy and have already closed the game to post pix. :U

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 03, 2014, 10:22:01 pm »

Ohey, if people are playing I'll join in!  Always love this game...

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 04, 2014, 11:13:42 am »

Do we have a steam group or anything? If we do I'd totally love an invite, I used to play this all the time. Just let me know and I'll join it.
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

Ruskin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 04, 2014, 11:35:02 am »

Shoot me off an invite as well

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: December 04, 2014, 12:21:39 pm »

I'm in.  Also, if anyone is capable of hosting a beefier server than the standards, I wouldn't mind seeing some "small" large-scale ship combat.  With Mastermind, and unlimited size, we could have 2-3 players on each side piloting proper huge battleships.  As long as we can keep the gun count relatively low, we could have some high-fps slugging matches.  The main drops in FPS are repulsor-accelerated packets and masses of naval guns, which are effective but far too much for the servers to handle in rapid fire.  Certain bomb tornadoes are also horrible for servers.  I think if we could reach agreements on a limit to active gun number, we could get some decent capital ship fights.  They might be slower than other fights, but also should be 'semi-realistic' as capital ships shouldn't disintegrate in a few hits.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: December 04, 2014, 02:54:57 pm »

Do we have a steam group or anything? If we do I'd totally love an invite, I used to play this all the time. Just let me know and I'll join it.
Well, I 've got an old steam group I could retool (it was for minecraft things that I'd hosted), but otherwise I don't think we do.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 04, 2014, 11:04:18 pm »

Well, I'd be willing to host a game if we can set a few ground rules.  It's mainly to reduce the number of projectiles, and reduce the number of ballistics CPU turrets, as those are the biggest eaters of server strength.  I'm also thinking that we should attempt more theatrical fighting than raw combat.  Because when it comes to combat, it's hard to beat a cycle of naval guns or a fast ship with repulsor boosted packets... but those are always small and unimpressive.  So I was thinking we'd make a limit to the number of turrets, and the number of guns on each turret, and rules about using hull pieces more than armor pieces, reduced BCPU usage, and other restrictions to get more of a 'massive ship combat' feeling.  Part of this is to avoid having a heavy match, which would bog down the server, and partly to enjoy some big, theatrical combat setups.

Since I'd love to see more people try this, here's a hint for everyone, on how to make money.  Host a server, private/offline, with 20 bots vs 1 bot.  Carriers have no guns and minimum HP.  Set the 'rounds per game' to max.  Start the game, join the 20 bot team, and then go to sleep.  Every round will earn you $20T for the destruction of the enemy carrier, which the bots will accomplish very quickly since it's so lopsided and the carriers are so weak.  When left to run over hours when you're not using the computer, you can end up amassing great wealth relatively easily.  Best map for this is Fray.

When you do have some wealth, you can earn a lot faster cash with a few manual uses.  BCPU turrets for every large laser you can fit, on cycle fire, and most bots take between .5 and 3 hits - sometimes you'll take out two bots in one shot.  Each adds $10T-$18T and you can rack up kills SUPER fast if you've got a heavily armored platform with several turrets.  Lasers are also phenomenal against carriers (with the weakened setup) so you can build a large hard-mounted laser array that can just rip carriers apart for $120T drops.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: December 04, 2014, 11:14:55 pm »

Are you fitting BCPU's to all your turrets?  IIRC, it's more economical to use a single BCPU turret and slave all your others to it.  You've got to mount the turrets close together then, of course.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: December 04, 2014, 11:16:26 pm »

Are you fitting BCPU's to all your turrets?  IIRC, it's more economical to use a single BCPU turret and slave all your others to it.  You've got to mount the turrets close together then, of course.
Yeah, this is why I started BCPU on each turret.  I was getting too many misses by fractions of inches on small ships.  On a larger target you can just slave it, but for smaller bits I find it easier to just do individual turrets, or to make a single turret with tightly clustered weapons.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20