Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20

Author Topic: Gimbal: MP space shooter with player-built ships (now on Steam!)  (Read 37133 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Bought it at full price.  Now devs can be happy at me, though I'll have some 'splainin as to why something is charged from "888888888 labs" on the bill

You should have bought me a copy at 1c price!

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
Re: Gimbal: MP space shooter with player-built ships ($10 for this + 2 games)
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2012, 05:18:46 am »

You can still get it from IndieGameStand if you buy the current game for $10 or more. You'll get the current game, the previous one (Gimbal), and whatever next one pops up.

The game is already at version 1.x. I wonder what they're doing next with it! It seems to be a single developer :)

Squanto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2012, 09:25:49 am »

So, what are your speed records?  So far I have been able to break 4500 mph.  Can't see anything after 3750-ish though because overlay appears.  There goes my hypersonic ramming speed idea.  Though, I can actually outrun most projectiles like this.
Probably no reason other than it giving them a larger B-peen.
The B is for Business.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2012, 09:35:46 am »

So, what are your speed records?  So far I have been able to break 4500 mph.  Can't see anything after 3750-ish though because overlay appears.  There goes my hypersonic ramming speed idea.  Though, I can actually outrun most projectiles like this.

I've been able to get to 5600 mph before getting shot down by air defenses. Acceleration was still pretty good, but you can only get that far in a straight line.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile

Another game I cannot buy because it doesn't take my money :P

Could be worse, they took my money, but didn't give me the game.   :P

Hopefully support will get me sorted out.

Edit:  That was fast, all good now.  :)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 12:50:23 pm by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2012, 01:51:31 pm »

Servers that know what's up will actually request you limit your speed to 3,000 because physics doesn't like high speed.  There's not much need to go faster, either, your main issue then is turning and acceleration.

Also, Bison are REALLY fun.  Hard to do anything with them, but very powerful if they hit.  All they need is a manual detonation key, because striking an enemy is hard but the blast is so large that you should be able to detonate nearby.

Squanto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2012, 01:58:38 pm »

Servers that know what's up will actually request you limit your speed to 3,000 because physics doesn't like high speed.  There's not much need to go faster, either, your main issue then is turning and acceleration.

Also, Bison are REALLY fun.  Hard to do anything with them, but very powerful if they hit.  All they need is a manual detonation key, because striking an enemy is hard but the blast is so large that you should be able to detonate nearby.

'Tis true.  I spent the last few hours trying to learn how to curve my bison shots around corners.  Right now they end up about 45 degrees off, so still got work to do on that.
The B is for Business.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2012, 02:11:01 pm »

Servers that know what's up will actually request you limit your speed to 3,000 because physics doesn't like high speed.

I've also seen a request to cut back on the amount of guns (no more than 50-60 per ship), above that you're using a behemoth-class ship apparently. Right there on the server "Best Korean Battlefield" if it's still up.

Ever since the network bugfix I've been getting an increasing amount of graphics hangs. Whole screen turns light blue sometimes, stops updating, the works. I've eliminated CPU/RAM and dependencies problems already, and I guess it's good time as any to actually make a bug report...

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2012, 03:02:32 pm »

I tried to play just now and all servers are filled with people spamming autocannons or whatever those things are. They take down a carrier in about 15s and lag the game out of playability. Game just stopped being fun >:(
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 03:14:11 pm by Anvilfolk »

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2012, 03:07:12 pm »

I tried to play just now and all servers are filled with people spamming autocannons or whatever those things are. They take down a carrier in about 15s. Game just stopped being fun >:(

lol, I think I may have started the 50mm and 120mm spammage. I was wrecking everything with them the other day, and the next thing I knew a bunch of people started copying me. Here are a few examples of the ships I've been using:

First, a fun little newbie ship within the starting credit limit. It's what I used at the start, and it's what allowed me to quickly rank up to the max in the first day playing. It's a bit slow, but it puts enough bullets in the air and with enough damage potential to take out stronger opponents pretty well. Basically a cheap artillery platform.

And here's the same idea taken to the extreme. The armor plating on the front allows you to take some hits before losing your guns. The guns being in the back lets you take missile hits against the armor without losing the guns. Just make sure you don't let anyone shoot you in the rear - the two advanced thrusters give you a pretty good turn rate, you just have to turn into any incoming fire to take it on the armor. Missiles in the rear will completely wreck your entire armament, but in the front they barely dent the armor. This thing absolutely wrecks anything in seconds if you get your guns lined up on them. Based on the damage and rate of fire numbers, DPS for hitting all your shots is 1663.2.

-edit- Ah, sorry. Fixed the image links.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 03:30:11 pm by Paul »
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2012, 03:25:11 pm »

I think you forgot to add links...

Anyways, this is a ship I've built:

The 6 front mounted turbos are on a heavy turret, along with two large fins.  The middle-mounted 3x chainguns are on a heavy turret with Ballistics CPU.  The 6 rear fins are there for stability.

This design is incredible, really.  I've toyed with it, and with the fins and the locations.  Done like this, it gets incredible speed and agility, it can turn on a dime and I really feel like I can dip into those narrow openings in certain maps.  Once it gets up to speed it can evade most everything, and turn quickly enough to evade fire.  The turret is quite powerful once it gets in range, and the auto-aim is about the only way to hit anything at these speeds.  The really amazing thing though is how stable it flies.  With this chassis and these fins, it's quick and responsive, and if I were so inclined I could ram players accurately.  I'll probably pull off one of the airbrakes and add flares though.  New players could utilize this style, even.  A turret on the front, engines on the turret, fins in the rear.

I shameless stole this design from a player Ivanna, though I never scored a kill so couldn't steal the design, I had to go from scratch.

Squanto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2012, 03:40:03 pm »

Lets just say I have a ship where I managed to cram 5 heavy lasers on the best turret AND still have enough money for an ammo box, its weaknesses involve the fact that it uses a regular thruster for rotation, meaning its super slow in changing direction, but it can go fairly fast in a straight line. more or less destroys anything you click on, doing 1500 damage per fire.  However, it is flimsier than a cardboard box and not the most stealthy.
The B is for Business.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2012, 03:44:48 pm »

That's actually a little impressive.  I take it you mounted 2 thrusters and bound them to different keys?  Still, 5 heavy lasers will rip a hole in anything you can get sight of.  Unless it has armor.  It seems that explosive ordinance works well against armor, but lasers and rails will pound hull and components pretty hard.  So your 50mm, 120mm, and Chainguns are pretty good at ripping the armor off an enemy.  But I think once you're using 5 lasers, armor becomes a non-issue.

Squanto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2012, 03:54:35 pm »

Actually, I have stability control :) just because spinning out of control is really annoying.  I have 3 thrusters total: in the forward/backward direction, a light thruster and a turbo jet, laid on top of each other; side movement is just a light thruster.  No other bells and whistles though, $18 left over with max budget.
The B is for Business.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2012, 04:04:14 pm »

I think someone needs to host a server with 0 atmosphere.  See how things handle :P
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 20