Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 20

Author Topic: Gimbal: MP space shooter with player-built ships (now on Steam!)  (Read 36727 times)

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gimbal: MP space shooter with player-built ships
« Reply #165 on: November 19, 2012, 07:04:16 am »

Looks sweet!

I made some suggestions on the gimbal forum, we'll see how it turns out.

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 20, 2012, 02:05:47 pm »

Has anyone suggested tractor beams yet? There's griefing potential, but multi-ship combinations/deployables/etc seem worth it. They could always make ships need a reciever aurora style.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 04:16:22 pm by Person »
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 20, 2012, 02:15:56 pm »

Aurora ships don't require a receiver, it's just the one ship with the beam.  Although that does sound very fun for Gimbal...  Be a good way to tow heavy platforms into position, and a way to forcefully slow down quick ships, not to mention possible uses like dragging stage items around...

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 21, 2012, 04:48:58 am »

Slingshot debris or other players into enemies... muahaha.

I need to get this, looks interesting as hell.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 22, 2012, 04:43:56 am »

Input slavers are fun - and for a few credits you have a perfect backup system in case your main aero/turn control goes out the window.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 22, 2012, 12:04:38 pm »

Sadly you can only ever mount 6 missile-type weapons on a single ship.  Otherwise I'd make a spam missile platform.

colinshark

• Bay Watcher
  • LVL 99 NECKBEARD
    • View Profile
    • My Game
« Reply #171 on: December 05, 2012, 12:30:07 pm »

I'm supa glad people are enjoying the game! I have some news from the development side.

1. I've upgraded the official servers to EC2 small instances. They have more horsepower now, but they are expensive. I'll see if that solution is sustainable. If not, I'll find another host.

2. Steam Greenlight: Gimbal is now "96% of the way to making the top 100 list". With the top games being accepted to Steam, it should only be a matter of months before Gimbal is Greenlit.

3. Gimbal is now live on Desura, as of yesterday. It's not Steam, but it's still good. I'll issue Desura keys to existing players, too. Just PM your key to "colinshark" on Desura, and I'll set it up.

4. I have a (free) expansion planned for release in Q1. I'm currently in development. New features will include different game modes and parts.

5. I'm continually fixing bugs. The absolute worst bugs are gone, but I have a handful that are hard to recreate. As time passes, I will crush them all.

Thanks guys. Happy Gimballing!

-Colin

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 05, 2012, 12:41:28 pm »

I'd still be playing myself, honestly, except that all the servers seemed to shut down and there's like 2 servers with 1 player each and 5 bots.  If/When Steam happens, I hope it'd pick back up again.

Game modes would help the most, I think.  Hunter-killer style 'stealthy deathmatch' and 'Carrier Hunter' game modes would be awesome, as well as traditional 'capture the flag'.  I'd also love to see things like territory control, where the teams fight to sit atop a certain location and change it to their control, maybe providing them with slow-rate healing or a few turrets that respawn.

And of course, this is Bay12.  Most of us would really love to see bigger ships.  Like, if these are all fighters that we're using, and some of the heavier chassis may count as 'very small warships' then being able to deploy larger ships at a high penalty would be really fun.  Like something half the size of the carrier and a steep price limit.  Maybe there could only be a certain number of them active per team at a time (server adjustable rules) and once one is destroyed then the next player can deploy theirs.  Or give it a cooldown depending on the size.  An interesting mechanic would be if spawn rate were directly tied to your ship's value, so that small, cheap ships could respawn quickly while larger vessels would be knocked out for longer.  The server could have options for "x seconds to respawn" or "x% of cash-timer before respawn" so it could be set to '15 seconds per spawn' or '200% the regular timer'.  That could actually encourage people to use cheaper ships instead of maxing out their value all the time.

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 05, 2012, 01:08:46 pm »

I'd still be playing myself, honestly, except that all the servers seemed to shut down and there's like 2 servers with 1 player each and 5 bots.  If/When Steam happens, I hope it'd pick back up again.

Well, I still play regularly and even though there are fewer servers, they tend to be the better ones. Last night, from about 1-3 am GMT I fought in a great 6 player battle on eface's server (pretty great server overall). More people tend to join when they see there's more then one on a server, often I'll join a one player server and within a few minutes more people will arrive. But I get how annoying it can be when you want to fly that new ship and there's no one around.

4. I have a (free) expansion planned for release in Q1. I'm currently in development. New features will include different game modes and parts.

I feel compelled by indescribable eldrich horrors my love of Gimbal to ask whether the plan is to release at the start or end of Q1 and if you can give us any hints as to what wonderful toys it may contain?
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

colinshark

• Bay Watcher
  • LVL 99 NECKBEARD
    • View Profile
    • My Game
« Reply #174 on: January 09, 2013, 11:27:06 am »

Newsy news: V1.16 is out now.

Fixed bug where dead mines counted against your total
Fixed some accuracy problems in master server listings
Fixed an annoying Null Ref crash during multiplayer games
Fixed Null Ref crash in missile code
Fixed bad lag when clearing ToolTips
Fixed incorrect version number bug that affected favorite servers
Fixed bug with 1px tweaking in Designer
Fixed compound rotation in Designer
Fixed bug that caused missing parts or missiles on resupply
Fixed bug where missiles detonate instantly when flying at high speed
Fixed bug where bombs tumble wildly at high speed
Fixed NaN bug (division by zero) in physics engine
Added Stats "Dumper" command line tool (Game & Ship stats)
Added Bezier Curves for some particle trails and laser slag
Added Ship Hot-Swapping (on carrier resupply)
Added Projectile Deflection for armored surfaces
Added Auto-duplication upon editing stolen ships (like for stock designs)
Added Remote Detonation function for mines and bombs
Changed Mines so that dead launchers do not reduce your total
Changed Mines from 100% visibility at all times to visibility based on sensor perception, just like for ships
Changed Server Heartbeat interval (shorter) for more accurate listings

The supa feature enhancement pack is a bit behind after traveling for the Holidays and focusing on some of the worst bugs. To sum it up, the new stuff will be different game modes and parts/weapons.

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 09, 2013, 01:14:16 pm »

I saw it, got excited, then realised it wasn't free :(

Well, it's well worth the price IMO. There's also a demo, which I recommend trying.
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 09, 2013, 01:53:23 pm »

Well, I'll probably be seeing you on the severs at some point then, good luck! There's also a thread on the Gimbal forums that has a nice collection of ships in the demo budget range, designed to help players who are testing it out the game actually be able to fly stuff that can kill maxbudget ships. http://www.gimbalgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=206#p893. Great if you want a few pointers/nice ships to try out.

In case you're wondering about how to actually get ships outside of the game mechanics (killing a ship gets you the plans), it's really simple. You just copy the .png and paste it to the hanger or stolen folder within the main gimbal folder.

colinshark

• Bay Watcher
  • LVL 99 NECKBEARD
    • View Profile
    • My Game
« Reply #177 on: January 09, 2013, 07:04:04 pm »

I ummm... have 10 keys lying around. PM me for more info.

colinshark

• Bay Watcher
  • LVL 99 NECKBEARD
    • View Profile
    • My Game
« Reply #178 on: January 09, 2013, 08:18:53 pm »

I feel compelled by indescribable eldrich horrors my love of Gimbal to ask whether the plan is to release at the start or end of Q1 and if you can give us any hints as to what wonderful toys it may contain?

New game modes, maps, weapons, and parts. Girlinhat is right on track with some of the game modes.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 09, 2013, 08:26:31 pm »

A balance for ultralight guns is simple. Deflection from armor.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 20