Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 20

Author Topic: Gimbal: MP space shooter with player-built ships (now on Steam!)  (Read 36738 times)

colinshark

• Bay Watcher
  • LVL 99 NECKBEARD
    • View Profile
    • My Game
Re: Gimbal: MP space shooter with player-built ships
« Reply #180 on: January 09, 2013, 08:43:24 pm »

A balance for ultralight guns is simple. Deflection from armor.
UNNNNGGG. YES that's a good point.

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 09, 2013, 09:34:30 pm »

Thanks for the key colinshark!

This game seems awesome, but I'm having trouble with the server browser. It can't find anything. Are there master server problems or something?

EDIT: Oh there we go, finally the firewall tells me it's blocking it

EDIT2: Still not working... I can run servers with bots, but I get a Heartbeat to main server failed or whatever message. I'll try restarting.

EDIT3: No luck. Playing against bots for now. Can you rank up against bots?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2013, 10:43:36 pm by Matz05 »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 10, 2013, 12:02:26 am »

Yes, you can.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 10, 2013, 10:19:43 am »

Cheers to colinshark!

This is almost exactly like a game that I've had in my head (but never had the programming skills to pull off) for a decade at least. It's great to see someone finally make it (since I'm obviously never going to.)

I've tried out a couple of different designs. So far, the most promising is a brute chassis with a bunch of forward-mounted twin cannons and quad maneuvering jets - I can't move fast, but I can turn on a dime, allowing me to track targets.

My attempt at a turreted design suffers some major problems, but I can't tell if it's because the ship is unaerodynamic as all shit, or what. The two turrets turn at different speeds, and have a hard time coping with the fact that the ship loves to pinwheel uncontrollably.

So far half the fun is trying to limp back to the carrier with 3/4s of your ship burned off.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 10, 2013, 06:34:17 pm »

Managed to find a server with half-a-dozen non-bot people on it - good fun, although my <$3000 ships were rather outclassed, I did manage to get a kill here and there (and when I did, it was worth ~$100, so good stuff.)

Now I've leveled up, so now I can equip my ships to use the great secret that is... armor!

No more will my ship disintegrate when someone so much as looks in my direction!

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 15, 2013, 05:17:39 pm »

I have a LR missilespammer.

I also have a great big autotarget railgun platform taking up every dollar of the limit. I honestly don't know why it works as well as it does!
It's slow, unmanuverable, unstabilized, unarmoured...
I just have a very high HP hull and the railguns.

I want to see it getting killed over and oberships designed to get it. Maybe a ship with packet cannons and high speed with some front armour to splash off the turrets/engines. Or missiles, it should be vunlerable to those.

It's just sad if people go "oh, look. cheap." and leave.

What do you guys use for PD? Shredders?

Also, is there a way to take manual control of a gun PD uses otherwise?

Mono124

• Bay Watcher
  • Into the abyss you go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 03, 2013, 12:23:35 am »

If anyone still has free keys I would LOVE one.
Collin Quay- [145.9]-broadcasts: As a professional doctor, I have to say, dodge the fucking meteors or you will die.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 03, 2013, 12:58:17 pm »

Same here ! :D

I'm playing the demo a bit, and it's fun, but there is no way i can be on par with some of the huge bombers i see from time to time ! :D

by the way, why didn't see that game in any bundle ?
I mean, i'll not buy it $10, for sure (especially with the small player community), but in a random bundle, it would give it such a great boost ! :|

colinshark

• Bay Watcher
  • LVL 99 NECKBEARD
    • View Profile
    • My Game
« Reply #188 on: April 18, 2013, 10:25:04 am »

Gimbal Newz

1. Expansion: There are just a couple weeks of dev/testing left for the Gimbal Expansion (Beta) features. Some of you have been in on this, so you know what it is. You'll have to wait until the actual release for the complete feature listing, but there will be more parts and popular game modes such as Capture-the-Flag, to really flesh out the game. There is no charge for the expansion- It's just a very large release.

2. Cheap Gimbal: Gimbal is now part of the IndieGala Mass Effect Bundle for the next 11 days. It's Pay-What-You-Want, but you need to beat the price threshold to get Gimbal and Mass Effect 2, among others.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 18, 2013, 10:29:17 am »

Are those... grappling chains?

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 18, 2013, 11:10:22 am »

Are those... grappling chains?

Oh yes they are! And without saying anything more than I should about such things, each and every "thing" coming in the Expansion is, in it's own way, equally as awesome. Especially the physics based

*Boom*

*Wayward Device has been sniped with a Naval Gun*
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 18, 2013, 11:17:20 am »

Where are you getting this info then?  You need to share!  Don't be cruel to the Bays...

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 18, 2013, 01:19:56 pm »

Where are you getting this info then?  You need to share!  Don't be cruel to the Bays...
Some of you have been in on this, so you know what it is.

All love for the Bays of 12, as always. But I've said too much as it is! There were.... terrible oaths sworn. Terrible Oaths.  I can say no more.

*ahem*

However, I will highly recommend that people check out the Standing Play Session, which happens to be tonight and indeed every thursday:
http://www.gimbalgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=515#p2026

*shameless gimbal self promotion*

You can actually see me flying a now obsolete ramship (damn the nerf that removed the hideous sight exploitfeature!) in the OP picture (the circle ship on the left), IIRC about to collide with a heavily damaged Colin. It's always a good time.

or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 20, 2013, 10:01:49 pm »

If there are still some free keys in the works, I'd like to take one for a friend if possible.

He played the game with me for a bit but lost interest due to the limitations of the demo, and doesn't have any way to buy the game.

Not to say he deserves it for free or anything, just thought it'd be worth checking~.
free keys?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 20, 2013, 10:47:48 pm »

Necro post from January.  I'm guessing it's not relevant anymore.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 20