Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 20

Author Topic: Gimbal: MP space shooter with player-built ships (now on Steam!)  (Read 36732 times)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
Re: Gimbal: MP space shooter with player-built ships
« Reply #195 on: May 15, 2013, 07:32:42 am »

Don't have access to anything with the word "game" on it from work. Can you post a changelog or something similar?

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 15, 2013, 08:51:36 am »

Don't have access to anything with the word "game" on it from work. Can you post a changelog or something similar?

Here you go, not a proper changelog up yet, probably because this has been coming together secretly over the last few updates, so I copied the shiny release information for yah and added a few notes of my own.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In addition to those major changes, there have been a few design and minor balance changes (hood ornaments now cost $25, Damselfly platform now looks more insecty, jet engines look nicer etc) as well as bugfixes. What a great expansion. 

Some pictures (warning, large!):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oh, and you can also get in game avatars.

EDIt: Oh, and a massive balance change, you can no longer stack engines. Old ships with stacked engines still work though, you just can't make them anymore.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 08:56:01 am by Wayward Device »
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 15, 2013, 09:19:20 am »

EDIt: Oh, and a massive balance change, you can no longer stack engines. Old ships with stacked engines still work though, you just can't make them anymore.

I knew that 3k chassis of jet engines bamfed into one spot and heavily armored would have glorious uses one day. It's got maneuvering, too!

time to put a giant fucking cannon on it

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 15, 2013, 03:08:30 pm »

Ohai der, I should get this game, since I'll probably like it for the same reasons I liked Battleships Forever. Plus moar gameplay and physics. :D

colinshark

• Bay Watcher
  • LVL 99 NECKBEARD
    • View Profile
    • My Game
« Reply #199 on: May 16, 2013, 03:53:25 pm »

It is with great pleasure that I announce the release of Gimbal Expansion One! It has taken many months of Beta testing and development, but Expansion One is now here. Thank you, Beta Testers!

This is the largest release of Gimbal features since Gimbal's original launch in August 2012. Expansion One has new game modes, weapons, and features which work together to bring Gimbal in line with my original vision.

It's a free update to Gimbal, so all you have to do is launch Gimbal and let the automatic updater do its thing.

26 Indispensable New Parts
  • Linear Extenders
  • Winches
  • The Repair Bot
  • Repulsor and Tractor Force Fields
  • Captive Bolt Guns
  • Drone Missiles
  • Huge Naval Cannons
  • Stealth Armor
  • Bumpers
  • Smarter Stabilizers
  • +More

New Maps
  • The Cyber World will challenge your senses
  • Build with friends in MULTIPLAYER Flight Test
  • Enhanced Classic Maps

Racing Mode
  • Mach 3 ships welcome!
  • Race your friends or race the clock
  • All weapons legal
  • Superspeedway and "road" courses available

Deathmatch
  • Spammy gun barges welcome!
  • Mindless fragging action
  • EVERYTHING is legal in deathmatch

Elimination Deathmatch
  • Where death is real
  • Are you a bad enough dude to survive?

Capture The Flag
  • Where true teamwork is rewarded
  • Defend or Aggress - YOU CHOOSE!
  • Grab possessions that are not yours
  • Terrorize your enemies by activating your flag holder relict

Custom Avatars
  • Force your friends and enemies to look at your avatar
  • Look Fresh
  • Look Cool

Gimbal is not just a game- it's a community. Here are places where players are trading ships and doing Gimbal-type stuff.
Gimbal Forums
Gimbal Chat (#gimbal on Rizon.net)
Gimbal Steam Greenlight Page
Gimbal Subreddit
Gimbal Facebook Page

See you in the servers!

-Colin

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 17, 2013, 01:39:15 pm »

So this is a pretty big thing:

http://www.gimbalgame.com/expansion_one.html
(basically the stuff in that link)
Well, that was mildly entertaining.

Still haven't tried the game because derp I forgot derp.

Eduardo X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 17, 2013, 03:24:53 pm »

Wow, this expansion looks fantastic. Hopefully, we'll see a bump in the amount of people playing, too.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 17, 2013, 03:39:47 pm »

So how is the balance now? Last I checked the game was completely and irrevocably broken.

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 17, 2013, 06:38:27 pm »

So how is the balance now? Last I checked the game was completely and irrevocably broken.

Well, it depends. With a game like gimbal, where everything about your ship is customizable, there will always be some ludicrously OP things you can do. The old, bad things like gunspam and the inherently OP nature of the BCPU(software that automatically targets turrets to the enemy your mouse is on) are still a part of the game, but there are now a lot more options other than "Fast ship + BCPU+ guns" and "Fast Missile Ship". Basically, there are a lot of viable new builds now. Slow ships can once again be competitive. One big balance change has been the engine stacking thing. Before, you could stack engines on top of each other, so you always put them somewhere safe, in a giant stack. Now they actually have to be mounted to something.

I recently placed a game on one of the new maps that has a ton of relicts making a giant maze of huge and medium sized boxes. I was flying a stealth melee ship with winches to reel my target into captive bolt gun range. My teammates, two players who had been around through the classic OP Missile/BCPU gunship era, were flying you standard OP Missile/BCPU ships. Then two of our opponents completely shut them down by bringing out heavy minelayers that used repulsor fields to spray both normal and link mines in huge forward arcs. They used these to block the only open canyons between the carriers. There was still plenty of space for my little stealth melee ship to maneuver between medium boxes and the minelayers, being slow, also had no trouble. But the fast ships had to use the canyons. They were screwed. I had some tense fights, trying to harpoon the mineslayers in the rear so I could drag them away while reeling them into cbg range while avoiding the giant spray of mines, all the while dodging through an ever expanding minefield. Of course, the minelayer's advantage didn't last, my team brought out sensible long range ships and picked off the minelayers, then there was a whole chaotic changing of designs that was hard to keep track off.

The only real way to tell is to play for yourself and try a whole bunch of different designs.
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

colinshark

• Bay Watcher
  • LVL 99 NECKBEARD
    • View Profile
    • My Game
« Reply #204 on: May 30, 2013, 04:36:25 pm »

Just released the V.32 patch, which rectifies some issues with the initial Expansion release. Should be pretty smooth now!

Full list of changes:

Fixed the main cause of sync errors and possibly all sync errors
Fixed repair bot exploits and crashes
Fixed server crashes from tethers
Fixed server crashes from drone missiles
Fixed misplaced extenders bug
Fixed Missile Lock/BCPU/RoboSight/PointDefense targeting on DM/EDM/RACE maps
Fixed excessive logging of IRC messages
Fixed flags getting stuck together
Fixed flag capping to be faster and more reliable
Improved load times slightly
Added more hotkeys to the designer (s=snap to grid, m=mirror, comma and period = rotate, ctrl+n = new)
Added server drain feature

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 02, 2013, 07:55:47 pm »

Re-Installing for the patch.  Looks like grapple ships are in?  Time to design a ship with no engine and just weapons, and have someone drag me!

Also love the installer, "We're going to install DirectX.  WATCH OUT FOR THE BING BAR INSTALL!"

Time to experiment with new toys...

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #206 on: June 02, 2013, 08:21:25 pm »

Why am I just now seeing this game?

Do we have a dedicated Bay12 server?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 02, 2013, 08:31:57 pm »

Also, I crash every time I save a design.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 03, 2013, 01:43:51 pm »

Looks like grapple ships are in?  Time to design a ship with no engine and just weapons, and have someone drag me!

I remember when we tried to accomplish this using girders and turrets. It was glorious. I think we even had a design that worked when friendly fire was off?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 03, 2013, 01:57:02 pm »

Looks like grapple ships are in?  Time to design a ship with no engine and just weapons, and have someone drag me!

I remember when we tried to accomplish this using girders and turrets. It was glorious. I think we even had a design that worked when friendly fire was off?
We did!  It worked fucking gloriously...  Now there's tools for it though, tether lines are a direct use, and Bumpers will nullify impacts except from specific ramming ships.  So you can drag via tethers, and push via bumpers.

Worth noting that EVERY item in the game can be pulled.  All stage items, and the motherships, have weight and speed.  Motherships can be pulled along, and a single good ship can overcome their engines.  However as soon as you break the line, they go pretty quickly back to their wander patterns.  Most items slow down very quickly as well, so dragging something towards an enemy and letting it coast in to collision isn't very possible.  I haven't tried any push motors for mothership ramming, but even pulling is very tricky.  The real worry is that you need to get your centers of mass and thrust just right, and for all practical purposes you need two tethers, set as far apart as you can manage.  Luckily they default to the maximum extension when fired, even if you landed the tether very close, it's still very slack, so just leaving it at the same tension will let you haul it evenly.

That said, I've made progress hauling the semi-circular stage pieces, as well as the "long shard" brick looking ones.  The biggest thing to worry about is sheer weight.  If you get going off-course, the big pieces can glide quite far on inertia.  Aiming them becomes a whole new challenge.

I'm imagining a true hauling setup would have two ships.  Tether at the rear, as many engines as possible, and bumpers on both SIDES.  You tether each ship to a side of the object, thrust forward, and let the bumpers rest against the object, effectively cradling it between two ships.  The two pilots would likely have turbojet thrusters for max force, as well as some additional afterburners (the little ones, not the 3-use) so that they could selectively put bursts of thrust to steer the thing, just a little, by having one pilot provide extra thrust while the other keeps normal.

Tether lines also snap if you leave them slack and thrust hard.  It's best to pull them taunt, then go full thrust.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 20