Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 20

Author Topic: Gimbal: MP space shooter with player-built ships (now on Steam!)  (Read 36730 times)

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
  • Has no dealings with the incarnations of gods
    • View Profile
Re: Gimbal: MP space shooter with player-built ships
« Reply #210 on: June 03, 2013, 02:16:51 pm »

Actually, jets are the worst engine for hauling stuff. Admittedly, they are the best for making your a ship go fast, due to the way they become more efficient at higher speeds. But in terms of getting something you want to tow up to high speeds, you either want heavy or light thrusters. Lights because they have the best cost/thrust ratio and heavies because they pull the hardest, particularly at low speeds. You may have trouble going pure lights for a towship since the engine stacking change, even with a large platform due to how insanely cheap they are (you could easily have 35 + 2 tethers).

All that said, I have a captive bolt gun ship with winches that uses advanced maneuver thrusters to move that is quiet capable of towing the flag in ctf, ships and small relicts (the terrain). But jets are not what you want.

Also, as to the "all things in game can be pulled", debris from a ship you were hooked to will stay attached for the few seconds it remains.Sharks can also be towed!

or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 03, 2013, 04:00:44 pm »

I thought jets pushed faster the longer they were on, having poor initial thrust but the longer you hold down the button the closer they get to maximum thrust.

I've also been debating some 'angel wing' towships, that being designed around extension rods, turrets, and spreading the tether lines far apart for added stability.  It'd be pretty awesome if I could get it to work, and could even sport a decent armor profile.

In fact, I'm not so sure that an extension+turret ship could become a fantastic tower AND ramship.  The sort of ramming that you use to smash the enemy carrier, actually.  I'll have to look into this...

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 03, 2013, 05:22:30 pm »

Actually, stealth is more powerful than ever. The reaction wheel got it's EM cut to 0.1, which is tiny. This basically means you can have a reliable turning system that doesn't increase your visibility when used and adds very little visibility overall. Plus, the reaction wheel is now actually good for something.

A player I know called Darwin Awarded recently made a stealth captive bolt gun ship that has an active EM of 0.5. In practice, anything less than EM 1.0 is stealthy enough though.
or maybe Valve goes out of business because they invested too heavily in something which then fails - like, say, human civilization.
Alternatively, initiate strife to refuse additional baked goods, and then abscond.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 03, 2013, 05:53:29 pm »

I had fun with this.  A LOT of fun.  Stealth platform, whisper drive, reaction wheel, two solid fuel thrusters, and a single turret with BCPU on a Naval Gun.  It's not as stealthy as other designs, but the solid thrusters can be used to cross large maps more quickly, and then shut off to avoid detection, while the naval gun mounts MASSIVE damage and the longest range of any weapon in the game.  You can very easily stay outside of detection range and fire, and people still don't see you!

Experimenting with tow-ships.  Curiously, it seems the biggest thing you need is aerodynamics, to avoid having your vessel turned as it's pulling.  The Springtail has providing an incredible platform, and only needs one tether.  Mounted in the center, you fire it backwards at the center of a target - in the test area, hitting the corner of a crate is ideal.  It can haul it at a decent clip pretty straight.

Pushing is entirely more difficult, as your ship likes to bounce.  However, I have realized that bumpers seem to negate ALL collision damage.  At least in testing, I couldn't commit suicide by ramming crates.  It may provide a hilarious means to literally poke other ships way off target!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #214 on: June 03, 2013, 06:08:48 pm »

I asked before if we have a dedicated server. I could run one, but I'd need to know what options you guys would prefer. Assuming you'd like one run at all. :P

Just started getting into this game. Some of the designs I see are hilarious.

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 03, 2013, 06:12:20 pm »

Well, there isn't exactly a shortage of servers. That said, a server that ran some of the more interesting settings like 0% air resistance could be nice.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #216 on: June 03, 2013, 06:16:01 pm »

so a space server? I can do that, at the very least as an experiment. But what game mode, etc? Battlegroup? Want a badass boss carrier?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 03, 2013, 06:20:15 pm »

Battleground seems nice, but the carriers aren't all that supermassive.  Deathmatch is always decent, though I want to try some race faffing.

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 04, 2013, 08:36:42 am »

Space Server was fun, good times where had. Although it sure is a different game when you can genuinely claim a victory in a 2 vs 3 engagement by being the only one who didn't crash. That and being able to swing people in a supersonic circle. 

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #219 on: June 04, 2013, 09:45:16 pm »

Server will stay up. If you guys want different settings it can be changed. I'm enjoying this game.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 04, 2013, 10:15:39 pm »

Max air pressure would be interesting.  Although a bit boring as most vessels just sort of sit in place...

We need house rules though, each team must have at least one block ship and at least one tow.  The block ship can have NO engines, while the tow ship cannot mount weapons.  Combat is done by tether and drag, bringing the block ships into range.  Making the motherships slightly fragile would be important, so that the blocks could assault it, but also heavily armed so that the blocks need heavy armor to make a fight.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 05, 2013, 12:05:17 am »

Are you trying to play Hammerfight in Gimbal
...We need kinetic hammers.

New ship design: You build a ball of armor, put it on extensions, and add an engine on it, sideways.  To strike, you use the engine to spin yourself around incredibly fast and slam your mace into the enemy.

colinshark

• Bay Watcher
  • LVL 99 NECKBEARD
    • View Profile
    • My Game
« Reply #222 on: September 19, 2013, 09:05:43 pm »

We greenlight now.

Wayward Device

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 20, 2013, 07:08:57 am »

About time! This is excellent news!

Are you trying to play Hammerfight in Gimbal
...We need kinetic hammers.

New ship design: You build a ball of armor, put it on extensions, and add an engine on it, sideways.  To strike, you use the engine to spin yourself around incredibly fast and slam your mace into the enemy.

A very late reply, but this ship swing a giant hammer around itself and destroys pretty much anything it touches with it:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #224 on: September 20, 2013, 10:07:35 am »

Congratulations on being greenlit! :D

I look forward to seeing a lot more people playing the game. I need to fire it up again when I get internet :)

I recall lag being a bit of a issue - has there been any work on the netcode to help this?
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 20