Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 116

Author Topic: Necrothreat III, whatever that is  (Read 316257 times)

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Ignore this failure of a community fortress XD
« Reply #465 on: June 21, 2015, 09:44:20 pm »

Dorf me! Somehow I'm still currently alive in !!Drunkfort!! But I'm sure that won't last long.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: June 21, 2015, 10:21:23 pm »

I can't tell who's more insane:

Sprin or the new people who join this game knowing full well that this place is a nightmare...
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: June 22, 2015, 12:18:21 am »

It's been too long without a screenshot laden update, I'm tempted to grab the save and have at it.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: June 22, 2015, 05:19:52 am »

I guess I have henchmen then 0_o
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: June 22, 2015, 08:53:12 am »

It's been too long without a screenshot laden update, I'm tempted to grab the save and have at it.
I would suggest not.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: June 22, 2015, 04:41:30 pm »

1st Granite
My new abode comes into view. A dark, squat thing with no windows. From within the sound of toiling emerges, mixed with the sound of cursing and expletives. I inhale, and the scent of sweat and rotten corpses fills my nose. I smile. Smells like a Forumite Fortress.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I enter through the gates with the other migrants, a drab collection of the defeated and the weary. As we file in, tools drop to the floor in a clatter, and they turn to face us. Eyes sunk deep into hollow skulls glare suspiciously as we tramp by, but where the others slouch, I stand tall. Where their eyes are hardened and made empty by hardship and loss, mine look around with a lively gleam. They notice, and stare at me whilst whispering amongst themselves. One of their number hurries forward and stands before me, his solemn face softened by a grin.

“My name is Apiks. I have seen the rise and fall of the Fortresses of the Forumites. Where the winds of time have blown, I have been there. My pickaxe has hewn the bedrock of more lands than I care to remember, and everywhere that axe has swung there have been enemies to our lands. Each time, the fort falls. Each time, blood has flown like a river through our land. It stains my pick, bathes my friends, and suffocates us. Memories grow vague with time, but yours stands clear. You are Th4DwArfY1 – Puppet, Weaver of the Red Flame. You are our hope, and our fear. Stand with us, friend. Stand with us, warrior.”

I laugh, hard and bitter. My beard shakes with each intake of breath, and though I try to stop, I cannot seem to. They look at me, and I look back. I stare into the eyes of these Forumites, these ghosts, and laugh. Apiks frowns, and hefting his pickaxe blends with the crowd, which parts respectfully before him. Controlling my merriment I continue onwards, until the strange Forumite reappears with an unusual person standing beside him. His single eye blazes like a furnace, and while I stare in shock it passes through my mind that his look holds enough spirit and energy to more than make up for what the others lack. He grunts as he looks at me, reaches behind his back and pulls forth a blade. As it comes into view, it seems to glow blue as a Sapphire until I shake my head. Then, it is black as coal and sharp as any blade has a right to be. With a grunt, he throws the blade to me and I catch it with my one good arm.

“You lost an arm before you came to us,” he says, and I nod. “You are in the last bastion of the Forumites, the last home that we have. Whether you believe the story of Apiks, you will learn to use that blade, and you will learn to lead, and to Ur’s Domain with your laughter. We play a bigger game than that. Step forward, your people need you. Stand tall, or we will break.” His gaze sweeps over the other newcomers, and then the other people of the fort. “This is true for you all. We will stand, or we will bend. And we Forumites were not made for bending!” They raise their fists in silent salute, and turn back to their work. “I am Highmax. Remember my name.” His one good eye blazes at me for a moment, and then he turns to leave. Weak at the knee, I head deeper into my new home and, as I assume from what the Swordsman said, my new command.
----

Probably more tonight, and if not, more tomorrow. This is just a small intro.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: June 22, 2015, 11:04:25 pm »

The more we do this, the more my forumites reminds me of Odin... Except replace gungir with Tyrfing

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: June 23, 2015, 06:48:41 am »

Great start.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: June 25, 2015, 05:25:00 pm »

2nd Granite
Deep below the rock of Necrothreat is a pool of molten rock. Streams of pure light blast from its surface and have a crazy, courtly dance on the roof of the ceiling many levels above. I look into the seething mass and feel an affinity for the shifting liquid. Utterly changeable, and yet constant. A liquid which rejects other fluids. It reminds me of myself.

The moans of the dead plagued me in my sleep. They lie in wait beyond the gates of the fortress, and their sibilant whispers taunt me with tales of what has been and what will be. They prophesy a time when Forumites are nothing but shadows of their current forms, doomed to wander the wastes for ever. I cannot let this happen. Necrothreat will stand! As such, I have ordered a corpse disposal system to be implemented. The living rock will be fed with the corpses of our foes, and Armok will thank us for the sacrifice. Already I feel like I can hear him, like a roll of thunder on the horizon. Our fort will truly be blessed.

8th Granite

No more migrants have appeared since my arrival, but I intend to keep hoping. As such, I ordered the listless excuses for flesh to mine out a new bedroom wing. May Armok send us more Forumites, that Necrothreat can rise from the ashes!

15th Granite

Again, my sleep was plagued with visions. There is something about this place – the very walls speak to me. And what’s beyond them…what’s beyond them is even worse. The wastes of Necrothreat stretch on, barren of life, void of kindness or warmth. Just the gaping jaws of the undead. Apiks and Highmax inform me that they are outriders of Ur’s forces, a mere trifle compared to those of the old Necrothreat. I scorn their superstitious nonsense of other worlds, but can’t help but quake at the idea of more of these beasts.

There can’t be more, can there?

Regardless, I shall stop it. My eyes are red and itchy, my beard unkempt and dishevelled. This lack of sleep is driving me insane. Only yesterday I found myself telling one of the Forumites that we should build a military based on War Reindeer. Needless to say, he stalked off muttering about the insane overseer. Not that he knows of the stresses of the station, of course. With a name like Mastahcheese, he could only be a lowly cheese maker, not the stuff of leaders. I mentioned this to Apiks over a pint of NAV’s golden new vintage, which I ordered mass produced, and he rubbed his chin thoughtfully.

“War Reindeer, you say? Why, I’ve not heard of such a thing since….” He looked at me shrewdly, then turned back to his beer. “Well, for a long time. And you thought of it yourself? Interesting… Still, we have none. What we need is more Forumites on the field, a united army to stand against the foul beasts.” I nodded. He was right. Conscription must begin. The machines of war must have their fuel, and We. Must. Stand.

18th Granite
Today I stumbled on a scene from a nightmare. Blood stained walls, axes used as surgical instruments and foul miasma. This was what greeted me in Necrothreat’s Hospital. I demanded of the doctor his name, and with a gleam of his teeth he told me. Sprin. I asked him why he was keeping this place of healing in such a state, and he laughed maniacally and said “to heal you must destroy. To heal you must destroy” over and over again. They tell me he is cracked, and I look at him critically. Blood shot eyes, foul breath, tangled beard. In short, every bit the mad doctor. But then his nurse comes sweeping in and starts tending to the sole patient, and he lights up. The mad glint in his eye fades to adoration, the hacksaw I had not noticed clutched in his hand was set on a table, and he went over to assist her. She smiled as he laid a hand on her shoulder, and continued to deftly wrap bandages around the patient. I marvelled at the relationship between the two, the bloodstained Forumite and the innocent girl, and felt a form of hope blossom in me. If, even in the dark vaults of Necrothreat, a love like this could blossom it may be that we can stand against the promised tides of undead. Perhaps this, the last bastion of the Forumites, could survive after all.

A scream tore me from my thoughts, and I looked at the patient. His head was being held by the nurse, who I now know to be Jenny, and his wounds being…tended….by Sprin. The card at the foot of the bed displaying his name read.

May the eternal smithy of Armok light his way to recovery, and his life be long. With a last look around the dismal healing place, I left with screams still echoing behind me. Unlucky sod.

20th Granite

By now the Forumites have accepted me as their leader. After weeks of empty stares and passive greetings, I have finally become a part of the tapestry of life here. The exponential increase of NAV-grade booze during my reign may have helped matters, but whatever the cause I am now partial to their conversations – where before they fell silent, now when I come to drink in the Aleroom they continue their conversations. Far from being dull, the range of discussion, the depth of talk, and the general ambience of togetherness was a surprise. I decided never again to look in a Forumite’s eyes and call them vapid and lifeless. Vibrant life, it seems, dwells just beneath the surface, waiting for an opportune moment to rise. Most talk centred around the enigmatic figure of Highmax, the Swordmaster who loathes the blade. The one who sees but has one eye. A Warrior God among men. Some speak of NAV with admiration, others of Apiks with respect, and yet others of me with a tinge of reluctant acceptance, but with Highmax a cocktail of emotion surfaces in the speech of these common beings. And where there is such awe, there has to be some motivation…I tried to delve into the tale, and this is what I heard, related to me on a gust of yeasty breath from a fellow Forumite:

“Highmax was a solitary being. He arrived a migrant, like yourself, and was hailed as a brother by the Loremaster, Apiks. But none truly know his past, even himself to hear Apiks speak of it. One thing is certain, though, and that is that he is a fighter. In whatever battle that cost him his eye, he seems to have gained knowledge of the mystic arts.” Here, the inebriated Forumite hiccupped and mumbled something about wanting more drink, before turning back to me. “Shining swords he bears. Shining blue. Don’t know how, but it must be the loss of his eye. Everyone says so.”

“But what is more amazing is this – he hates the Way of the Blade and all it stands for. He stands in the fighting yards and watches others fight, a frown of displeasure wrinkling his time-weathered face. In his hand, he grips his own sword. Some have even said they can hear the leather groaning when he clutches it. And that is what truly makes him something. The Forumites who bear a sword or axe against the undead hordes for the sake of glory and a legendary death are a dime to a dozen. To have a man who clutches the thing he hates day and night, just to protect his home? That is something. To have a person who uses his anger and his hatred to fuel him, to protect his home, his very love? To stand against the undead hordes, even though it kills him to do so? That is what it is to be a true Forumite. To be Highmax.” Suddenly, the talker didn’t seem so drunk. A gleam of sobriety lurked deep within his bloodshot eyes. “There are some things all men should fear. An angry woman is one, a debt to an enemy another, but worst of all to his foes is the man who has been driven to the fight against his will, for he will battle twice as hard, and shed twice as much blood.”

21st Granite
Buoyed be tales of warfare, I attempted to build a Zombie killing zone where the death of our ancestors could be avenged.

One of the fort’s previous leaders hollowed out the hill of Necrothreat, revealing the bare loam beneath the ground. Red like blood, but also flame. Hopefully it is an omen of the destruction the Forumites will wreak on this ground. But not yet….we need more recruits. Helping us on this point is Captain Kaladin, whose good news buoyed the spirits of everybody in the fortress. Everybody was enamoured by the child and its antics, and Kaladin sat beaming with her precious child throughout all the praise. Truly, good things do come in small packages.

25th Granite
Mastahcheese was pressed into the army in a more conventional fashion. Conscripted to the ranged squad, he proved to be a natural with the crossbow. Apiks and Highmax insist he had a place in Old Necrothreat, that he was a figure of awe and myth. His Reindeer were the pride of the fort. At the mention of Reindeer, I gave a start, but quickly shrugged it off as coincidence. Mastahcheese, too, found the tale a bit steep and laughed when informed of his place. Nevertheless, he gripped his crossbow with ruthless determination. We have the makings of a marvellous recruit.

2nd Felsite
NAV approached me today in my office with a keg of beer. With a contented sigh, he settled beside me and said nothing, just poured out two mugs of his frothy concoction. Not one to thirst when there is drink to be had, I seized my mug and took a long draught, settling back afterwards with a sigh. It had been a tough few days, organising the running of such a large fort when I can barely see to my own needs. With a small smile, he settled back as well. Minutes past, and then he began to speak. “I wish to join the military. I’m a brilliant brewer – or so I’ve been told – but I cannot stand by and let my home be threatened. I wish to set aside the brewery for the training yard, and serve my brothers in arms. Can you do this for me?”

I nodded solemnly and, with a strange sense of foreboding, entered him on a list of recruits. “What weapon would you prefer?” Grim-faced, he responded immediately.

“Crossbow.”

15th Felsite
One of our number has been struck by a strange mood! When informed, I heard Apiks mutter under his breath that “he had better make a door.” Confused, I went to check on the Forumite. May his crafting bring much joy to the fort!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 05:26:35 pm by Th4DwArfY1 »
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Emma

• Bay Watcher
  • Romace plots aren't actually that bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: June 25, 2015, 05:31:57 pm »

15th Felsite
One of our number has been struck by a strange mood! When informed, I heard Apiks mutter under his breath that “he had better make a door.” Confused, I went to check on the Forumite. May his crafting bring much joy to the fort!

If my husband goes insane draft me into a solo suicide squad.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: June 25, 2015, 05:36:19 pm »

Gotcha!

Hopefully he won't.
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: June 25, 2015, 05:45:39 pm »

Though this blade of mine I would willingly cast aside for a hammer or a plow, I will do what I must. I gave up adventuring because I learned of how much I hated conflict; instead I took a wife, raised a family, and I was happy. But now that the undead menace comes knocking on our door, I will protect my family with my last breath...

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #477 on: June 26, 2015, 12:02:05 am »

And hopefully, Armok willing, you don't start killing them after your last breath.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: June 26, 2015, 03:24:55 am »

Did anybody notice that NAV has once again taken up the crossbow? Are we going to reiterate him drinking and shooting on the battlefield again?
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: June 26, 2015, 11:32:10 am »

Did anyone notice that I had a living patient?
Strange times indeed
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 116