Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 143

Author Topic: The Last Night Troll  (Read 218132 times)

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Night Troll
« Reply #285 on: November 20, 2012, 06:27:53 pm »

Character:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Well, that sucks, i thought that plan was pretty risky, but something of the like was bound to happen eventually. Better a thrall then dead.
I suggest we cooperate for the moment, telling him the abilities we've *fully* learned and glossing over the details of the skills we've been attempting to develop.
If he asks us how we got here perhaps we can intimidate him with knowledge of our alliance with our wizardly benefactor.

"Yeah. Eon Magic is my strong suit. I learned it from my father, who was mighty enough to conjure me into these times in which you live." You don't feel as if telling this elf the truth would be betraying your commitment to Foghorn, as he seems to want to keep you a secret.

"I see. Most mages have more than one type of magic to use, I wonder, is that true for night troll mages?"

You offer a weak nod. "It is true for me. I can manipulate the perception of other's through darkness, and commune magically with my fellow night creatures."

Vindel smiles. "And you managed to get the drop on myself, my guards, and 5 wolves, so you must be proficient in the mundane art of moving undetected as well. Right?"

You nod again, and the smile remains on Vindel's face. It is a creepy smile; missing a tooth and easily betraying an evil nature. If you were capable of perceiving your own fear, this man would scare you stiff.

Vindel's smile is broken by a yawn "Anyway. It is just about dusk now. My dagger disabled you for about three days. You are currently in the basement of my shop, which resides in the forest retreat of Oakworshipped. You are now herby ordered to remain inside during daylight hours, but may do as you please at night assuming you don't kill anybody or cause a commotion in town."

"Do I get my stuff back?" You ask hopefully.

Your master gestures to the pile of goods in the corner and nods. "Yes. But I took that big fire sword of yours, because I want to examine it and find how it works. That could take me awhile. The enchantments are rather cryptic. If you must have a magical weapon, I can help make you one tomorrow. I should have time, business has been a bit slow as of late."

You chat for a bit longer, and eventually Vindel bids you goodnight and hands you a copy of his shop key to get in and out before heading to sleep. You climb out of the basement and exit the shop to find yourself in the middle of Oakworshipped. The settlement is large; brick houses and elven tree lodges dot the woods as far as the eye can see.

Leaping up into a branch concealed by thick leaves you begin to try and remove the bracelet, however no method you can come up with, magical or mundane, seems to work.

You ponder returning to the tower and getting Foghorn or Illuem to assist you in removing it, but you haven't the faintest idea how to get back, and suspect it is more than half a day away anyhow. You are not allowed to go anywhere where you can't return to Vindel's place by dawn.

Still, you don't give into despair. Even if you fail to come up with a way out of this mess, your night-creature resistance to magic should begin to kick in within a matter of months or years; he wont be able to keep you forever. And, for now at least, the night is still yours.

"I'm a clever bastard anyway. I should be able to work a way out of this jam if I want too..."
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 09:39:19 pm by Weirdsound »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: November 20, 2012, 06:50:04 pm »

For now, search the area we're allowed in.

Let's have the elf help us make a new magical weapon. Maybe a sword or knife that absorbs life force or something?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Nicholas1024

• Bay Watcher
  • Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: November 20, 2012, 06:50:14 pm »

Try sending the bracelet a few hours into the future using Eon Magic.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: November 20, 2012, 08:28:14 pm »

Weirdsound, looks like you forgot to count jumping forward in time as a successful eon magic action

My plan

a) Find a female to convert her and make her kill the mage or remove the bracelet (we are ordered to not kill inhabitants, no one banned some sex)
b) Try to find an animal(s) (flying bug or bird) and ask it to find Alice and tell what happened with you
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 08:30:22 pm by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: November 20, 2012, 09:00:36 pm »

Current restrictions:
Do not harm our master.
Do not harm our master's possessions.
Remain indoors during day.
Do not kill at night.
Do not cause a commotion in town at night.

Allowed things:
Killing people that aren't our master outside of town.
Killing people that aren't our master during the day if they are indoors with us.
Causing a commotion outside of town.
Causing a commotion during the day.
Stealing our master's possessions.
Sheltering indoors at locations that are not the shop.
Communicating with our allies.
Allowing others to harm our master.

a) Find a female to convert her and make her kill the mage or remove the bracelet (we are ordered to not kill inhabitants, no one banned some sex)
Disagreed. Creating a new night troll will only tip our hand and result in the first new generation of night trolls being born as slaves. We have considerable liberty still and should use it more productively. Rather than trying to create another troll, we should do as GreatWyrmGold says. Search the local area, get a new magical weapon, and otherwise formulate a plan to escape.

b) Try to find an animal(s) (flying bug or bird) and ask it to find Alice and tell what happened with you
Agreed. Contacting Alice would be a good start.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 09:06:33 pm by Grek »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: November 20, 2012, 09:26:26 pm »

Disagreed. Creating a new night troll will only tip our hand and result in the first new generation of night trolls being born as slaves
Why do you think that they will be slaves?
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: November 20, 2012, 09:31:57 pm »

Try sending the bracelet a few hours into the future using Eon Magic.
We already tried that.

Disagreed. Creating a new night troll will only tip our hand and result in the first new generation of night trolls being born as slaves
Because...the elf isn't an idiot?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: November 20, 2012, 09:41:30 pm »

Weirdsound, looks like you forgot to count jumping forward in time as a successful eon magic action

Fixed

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: November 20, 2012, 09:55:21 pm »

I know. So what? Why do you assume that he will catch the second troll and put another bracelet?

Anyway,  I have a new idea:

We can cut\bite the arm away (Yes, arms are useful. But I am sure that it's temporary and we can find a magical way to regrow\reattach it later. Or get artificial arm from Illuem)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: November 20, 2012, 09:58:36 pm »

I know. So what? Why do you assume that he will catch the second troll and put another bracelet?
He caught us, and we're trained in magic and know how to be a night troll.

Anyway,  I have a new idea:

We can cut\bite the arm away (Yes, arms are useful. But I am sure that it's temporary and we can find a magical way to regrow\reattach it later. Or get artificial arm from Illuem)
Last resort.
Sig

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: November 20, 2012, 10:12:57 pm »

Oh, if he was successful once (and veeery lucky) He will be autosuccessful again, I see. Logical

Last resort
Better sooner then late. Who knows what will he force us to do? For example he may ask what we plan to do to run away and then ban all our ideas.

BTW, aren't troll regenerative? Cut the arm, remove the bracelet, tie the arm back and hope that it will reatach
Anyway, losing the arm is not a mega problem, I think any semi-copmpetent healer can attach it back. And elven city should have a healer or two
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 10:14:44 pm by Ukrainian Ranger »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: November 20, 2012, 10:17:54 pm »

Oh, if he was successful once (and veeery lucky) He will be autosuccessful again, I see. Logical
No, if he was successful at a difficult task he has a good chance of succeeding at an easier and pretty much identical one, especially now that he knows what works.

Last resort
Better sooner then late. Who knows what will he force us to do? For example he may ask what we plan to do to run away and then ban all our ideas.
Better to not bet the use of one arm on the fact that A. we can regrow it and B. we can escape to full safety before the elf notices that we are gone, despite blood loss.

BTW, aren't troll regenerative? Cut the arm, remove the bracelet, tie the arm back and hope that it will reatach
Anyway, losing the arm is not a mega problem, I think any semi-copmpetent healer can regrow it back. And elven city should have a healer or two
Some trolls, maybe not us. Want to bet?
And how do you know what any healer can do? In D&D, which is what you seem to be basing your trollology on, you need to be pretty high-level to regrow limbs.
Sig

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: November 20, 2012, 10:42:46 pm »

Total and absolute risk averseness again....

No, if he was successful at a difficult task he has a good chance of succeeding at an easier and pretty much identical one, especially now that he knows what works.
He is a squashy human with no combat skills, if we choose mate with combat skills then...
Besides, using new ally for a direct attack is a last resort. We may use it to assist us in breaking the bracelet, helping to get some equipment, sending her as a messenger and so on.

B. we can escape to full safety before the elf notices that we are gone, despite blood loss.
Escape? I'd rather wait for him and make him pay for an attempt to enslave us. As for bloodloss... I don't believe that night trolls are that fragile that can't survive after some bandaging

Want to bet?
Yes, Yes, Yes! I want to bet.  As I said before, even long term armlessness is not a huge problem for a mage. In the worst case we'll get a small penalty for casting spells

And how do you know what any healer can do? 
Setting is highly magical, so it's logical to assume that such kind of magic exist and pretty common

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: November 20, 2012, 10:52:35 pm »

Total and absolute risk averseness again....
Yeah, yeah, I want to avoid dying. So sue me, figurative money ain't good for a corpse.

He is a squashy human with no combat skills, if we choose mate with combat skills then...
If we can find a woman with combat skills. Hm, not like this is a pseudo-medieval society, making women with combat skills sufficient to overcome a mage one in a million, on top of the low odds of them being locateable...

Besides, using new ally for a direct attack is a last resort. We may use it to assist us in breaking the bracelet, helping to get some equipment, sending her as a messenger and so on.
And what makes you think we have to attack the elf for him to notice her?

B. we can escape to full safety before the elf notices that we are gone, despite blood loss.
Escape? I'd rather wait for him and make him pay for an attempt to enslave us. As for bloodloss... I don't believe that night trolls are that fragile that can't survive after some bandaging
Oh, yes, attack him with one arm while woozy from blood-loss when he defeated us when we had surprise, two arms, and were at our best. Maybe he threw away his magic dagger?

Want to bet?
Yes, Yes, Yes! I want to bet.  As I said before, even long term armlessness is not a huge problem for a mage. In the worst case we'll get a small penalty for casting spells
Yup, arms aren't important, not like we'll be heavily restricted by only having one arm.
Hint, I'm being sarcastic.

And how do you know what any healer can do? 
Setting is highly magical, so it's logical to assume that such kind of magic exist and pretty common
We've been around a few wizards and the daughter of a wizard since we arrived; we haven't seen the larger society. Someone who spent time in the king's court might assume that the whole society was rich, but that isn't necessarily so.
But let's say we found a healer of sufficient power. We're still a Night Troll. Do you think s/he would heal us out of the goodness of their heart?
Sig

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: November 20, 2012, 11:07:40 pm »

I think that cutting our arm of is a terrible idea which should not be considered at this time.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 143