Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 143

Author Topic: The Last Night Troll  (Read 215516 times)

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
The Last Night Troll
« on: November 07, 2012, 05:05:58 pm »

Year 427:

After a sharp spike in abductions and spouse conversions, the fed up Elven and Goblin populations of the Fire-Plains Continent put aside their differences to wage a war against the night beasts of the land. At first this fight was an uphill battle; the monsters of the night are inherently more powerful than their mortal counterparts, even the ageless ones such as elves and goblins. Eventually however the unholy alliance of skins green and fair came together with a plan to end their foes once and for all.

By uniting all the most powerful mages of both races at a tree so ancient and powerful that to name it would be disrespectful, the alliance began to weave a spell that would simply and undoubtedly wipe the night creatures from existence. The spell took some time to put together, but all was going according to plan until one of the mages was captured and interagated by Illdeath Vilenose; one of the local night trolls.

Illdeath knew that there was little he could do to stop the spell and save himself, so instead he thought of the future. His youngest spawn was still small and vulnerable enough to magic that Illdeath could cast a spell of his own upon it. Seven captured and sacrificed ellf virgins later, Illdeath's ritual was complete and his child was flung into the far future as the last of its terrible kind...

You are that child...

Character creation:

You fly screaming through space and time. The first few minutes are so painful that you are barely able to retain your sense of self: luckily you are able to avoid being assimilated into the time-stream and eventually are able to open your eyes and take inventory of your situation.

Your arms and legs seem intact...

Vote for a type of arm and a type of leg...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As you seem to be in one piece, you calm down a bit and enjoy the show. You are standing still yet falling through a tunnel, the scenery around you is both monochrome and bursting with colors you never knew existed, and you feel both uncomfortable and totally at home. Eventually you are able to spot something that isn't a contradiction; a small handheld mirror that somehow must have been cast into the time-stream like you. Your course brings you within grabbing distance, and you make use of it to examine of your face, torso, and gentiles.

Vote for body type, face type, and gender...

Confident that you have left no part of yourself behind, you fall for awhile longer until you feel that you have traveled far enough forward so that your kind will have been all but forgotten. At his point you begin to look for portals back into reality, taking into account your skills and proficiency while deciding which one to exit through...

Vote for four skills, numbering them 1 (Most Skilled) through 4 (Least Skilled). You will start at the location corresponding to your greatest skill.

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Night Troll
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 05:18:39 pm »

Seems interesting. Well, here's my vote.

[edit]Forgot about gender.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 05:24:54 pm by Lillipad »
Quote from: BaerTaffy
If Adele covered Aerosmith, that would be my life right now.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 05:22:05 pm »

My vote: Bladed Arms, Springy Legs (high maneuverability and potential for quick getaway), armoured body (don't want a dorf getting a lucky hit), hypnotic (might even help us steal consorts).
Skills: 1 eon manipulation, 2 communication (lets rule a goblin nation or something! XD), stealth (for sneaking away after we use our legs to get a safe dictance, not to mention for the offense), unarmed fighting (bladeses)
I don't much care about gender, maybe male to give us the potential of better propagating the species?

Edit: you and i have some similiar ideas Lillipad XD
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 05:25:02 pm by Mlamlah »

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 05:50:33 pm »

I would say:

Body:
Bladed arms
Springy legs
Camouflaged
Male

Skills:
1:Night Creature Empathy
2:Unarmed
3:Dark Manipulation
4:Stealth

I figure we can be a night creature assassin.  We can sneak in to a city, and steal consorts.  We can also sneak in to towns and dispose of powerful opposition.  But most importantly, lurk about in the night, like a true creature of lore.  And strike fear into the hearts of mortals (And Goblins and Elves)!

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 05:50:50 pm »

I vote: One tattooed arm and one bladey arm, or two tattooed arms if that's not allowed; Springy legs; Camouflaged body; Hypnotic head; Male (for reasons of mathematics and biology); and Skills (from highest to lowest) Earth Manipulation, Stealth, Communication, and Earth Crafting.

Looks like a fun game!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 05:57:24 pm »

is night creature empathy really a great idea? seeing as currently... we're the last one

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 06:00:40 pm »

is night creature empathy really a great idea? seeing as currently... we're the last one

You are basically the last of these: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Night_troll

As far as you know the other kinds of night creature are still out there.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 06:06:11 pm »

Okay, so the goblin and elvish empires let the vampires and werecreatures and boogeymen and such slide.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2012, 06:09:37 pm »

Tattooed arms, Finned legs, Amorphous body, Hypnotic head. Male

1- Eon manipulation
2- Dark Manipulation
3- Necromancy
4- Stealth

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 06:10:14 pm »

Okay, so the goblin and elvish empires let the vampires and werecreatures and boogeymen and such slide.
Not to my best recollection.  They should kick any vamps they find out of their city.  I'm just thinking that if we can blend in, we can go anywhere.  Towns are hilariously disorganized.

OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 06:27:16 pm »

Not to my best recollection.  They should kick any vamps they find out of their city.  I'm just thinking that if we can blend in, we can go anywhere.  Towns are hilariously disorganized.

Not exactly what i meant, i just meant that they didn't declare an open and intensive war against *all* Night Creatures.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 06:30:31 pm »

Not exactly what i meant, i just meant that they didn't declare an open and intensive war against *all* Night Creatures.
Well, that's kinda hard, declaring war on a species and all.  Man can't just declare war on all turtles, can they?

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 06:32:18 pm »

Sure he can. I seem to remember china declaring war on not one, not two, but 3 species! One of which was sparrows, which came back to screw them over later on.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012, 06:35:46 pm »

Sure he can. I seem to remember china declaring war on not one, not two, but 3 species! One of which was sparrows, which came back to screw them over later on.
Well, yes, you can.  But is it effective?
Seriously, tell me.  I know diddly about Chinese-Sparrow warfare.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2012, 06:45:25 pm »

Apparently it was four species actually. Relevant link

Sparrows and other birds were shot down from the sky, resulting in the near-extinction of the birds in China.

Pretty effective I'd say.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 143