Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 143

Author Topic: The Last Night Troll  (Read 215081 times)

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Night Troll
« Reply #1065 on: December 12, 2012, 05:39:33 am »

Well, one seems to be readily restrained for us to use. The "damaged" elf for sure. The sacrifice can be sacrificed for our god(dess), or eaten by Gwendolyn to nourish our child. A protected life will lead her to be rather susceptible to fear. A young and skillless elf would have been better food, though. We are NOT trying to get another mate right now.

On a side note: I am for asking Alice if she wants to be converted with any of our new gifts. Preferably before we use them. We should make the conversion a choice she could make. Tell her that we are conflicted about it.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

Corruptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Come to the dark side, we have cookies. And beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: December 12, 2012, 05:55:27 am »

My vote is that we restrain and carry off both the lithe rogue woman and the one with frost breath. Both look like healthy consort-material, an assassin would definitely be useful, and the second one looks like she might have some healing skills and interesting abilities.

We have plenty of gifts, so two new consorts would be useful indeed - particularly since the debate about whether to convert Alice is still raging, and looks likely to rage on for the reminder of this series heh.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 06:00:29 am by Corruptor »
Chaos rises, as all Order dies.

Instinct, Intellect, Intuition

Walk always in the Shadow, and both Darkness and Light will follow.

hachnslay

• Bay Watcher
  • 09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: December 12, 2012, 06:51:12 am »

yes, we do have plenty of gifts - our current consort however has a "bun in the oven",as our GM likes to write in every statusreport. An hasn't eaten yet. I would prefer taking the LEAST useful elves or most uncertain ones first. that way we can select the other, useful ones on a later raid. preferably when the child is born. As it is we currently have all the time in the world to repopulate. The Damaged one and the sacrifice will likely not be available later.
Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
--Alpha Centauri ,Pravin Lal

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: December 12, 2012, 07:45:00 am »

(So your all agree to not being the strongest night troll just to ensure survival of our race? Not going to argue. Got bored)
Yeah, exactly. We're not so arrogant that we would risk the survival of our species on ourself and an unborn child.

Am I the only one who thinks the adventuring elf would make a good consort? Or the mage? Or someone chosen for actual skill, rather than ease of capture?
Just ask Gwen to come help. Two night trolls should be able to subdue a single sleeping elf.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: December 12, 2012, 07:55:29 am »

Yeah, exactly. We're not so arrogant that we would risk the survival of our species on ourself and an unborn child.
Oh I see, totally different view on character's motivation. Happens
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: December 12, 2012, 07:57:51 am »

Oh I see, totally different view on character's motivation. Happens
It's not like we're sacrificing ourself to give a random night troll time to escape.
I don't see the mermaid as a threat to us. She'd probably be grateful to us for providing a blessing that brings her closer to Nocteclaw, and since she'd probably be in the ocean she wouldn't interfere with our actions.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: December 12, 2012, 08:36:20 am »

We are sacrificing much more than our life: our control over what will new race of trolls become. I'd rather not spend that gift at all, send into nothingness, waste in any way than convert a zealot that have only goal in life please her Goddess

By this act we are creating likely enemies for our future sons...  (at least they'll compete for prey) We are creating totally different branch of night trolls with matriarch that would surely follow old ways close to ones like our father did, only more fanatically and with divine support

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: December 12, 2012, 09:56:27 am »

the left teste was a gift from the goddess, not one we earned ourselves, we shouldn't hoard it greedily. it is only fitting that we bestow it upon someone devout to her and dedicated to restoring the old faith. besides, a lineage of sea-bound trolls wouldn't compete with our progeny. if we succeed in establishing a cult to the night trolls we're effectively creating the foundation for a platform of collaboration between night trolls regardless of lineage. instead of reviving the isolationist culture of our fathers, we'd be creating a faction that could not only survive, but could reasonably aspire to dominate the world

as for the current action, most elves sound like good brides, and i'm really curious about the one bound in vines, but i suspect we can only take one of them. i'm confident whatever we pick will have an interesting result, but we shouldn't be greedy. we should just pick one and get out

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: December 12, 2012, 11:59:40 am »

I am far from sure that we should rush with our servitude to the Goddess. Other gods may be a better option for a night troll that tend to be friendly with humans and prone to diplomatic solutions. (My long term hope was to get friendly settlements, nations, races... instead we'll get semi-allied merfolks that pursue totally different goals  and loyal to another night troll)

Creating a line with much better resources than we have, that will be loyal to the third power, that will create more enemies is a recipe of disaster. And eventually they will come out of see and take our place.  I can't believe the whole logic that zealous follower of the dark goddess will not betray us at the first opportunity, because she will be grateful and loyal to the relative.  We see followers of the dark gods very differently

But I am sure that that will get 99% support, like using necromancy, or strange excitement with opening the "Pandora box"

« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 12:20:58 pm by Ukrainian Ranger »

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: December 12, 2012, 01:42:08 pm »

Character:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You turn up the plant empathy and try to talk the tree into releasing the vines that bind the 'damaged' elf while keeping it bound for you to carry off. The tree denies your request. -No. I like this one.- 1d20 = 8 - 3(Untrained Skill) + 1(Tattoos) = 6

Not wanting to start a fuss you decide to focus on another target, asking the tree to bind the rouge for easy carrying. This time the tree complies and vines rip from the trunk and cacoon the sneaky elf before breaking free of the tree so that she may be carried away. You note that she isn't gagged and may very well scream bloody murder if she wakes up. 1d20 = 15 - 3(Untrained Skill) + 1(Tattoos) = 13

You pause to consider the situation. You are not sure if you want to push your luck begging the tree to bind a second elf for you, and the only way you can haul two off is if they are restrained. Gwen is elsewhere in town, rounding up her own victims, so asking her for help is out of the question. You could always grab one of the non-restrained ones and leave the cocooned rouge behind to cause a bit of a stir...

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: December 12, 2012, 02:01:27 pm »

I think  grabbing  the priest is the best idea. I'll get a chance to learn about other gods, before choosing one to serve, or staying free. God of beauty can do wanders to my diplomatic skills

Rogue will distract the chase quite nicely

« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 02:24:44 pm by Ukrainian Ranger »

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: December 12, 2012, 03:44:22 pm »

no, the rogue will do. take it, gag it, and scram

racnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: December 12, 2012, 04:32:43 pm »

Ask the tree for coldbreath. If it doesn't give her to us, set something on fire and ask again, less politely(unless that wouldn't work with plants).

As for the gift, i'm less interested in gaining Noc's pleasure than avoiding wrath. She told us, straight out, to use this gift as soon as possible.
Are gods in this universe jealous? If not, then there may be option other gods to learn about later, but we are already receiving instruction in one priesthood right now.
Compromise position: Turn the mother bear, train the babies to use pyromancy and then eat Alice.
Right, the !!☼ARMCHAIR☼!!. I forgot.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: December 12, 2012, 04:58:21 pm »

I do not think we should set the building we are currently in on fire.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: December 12, 2012, 05:08:06 pm »

Ask the tree for coldbreath. If it doesn't give her to us, set something on fire and ask again, less politely(unless that wouldn't work with plants).
we don't need to ask the tree, coldbreath isn't tied up in vines. if you want to restrain her, we're more skilled in time magic than treetalking, and it would be safer to trap her in a timeloop and then carry her away

but i vote against going for one of the others when we got a bride secured already. just leave.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 143