Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 143

Author Topic: The Last Night Troll  (Read 218542 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Night Troll
« Reply #1185 on: December 14, 2012, 04:58:27 pm »

What, a night troll can't determine what pragmatic choices are?
What is more pragmatic, getting an ally to ensure own survival, now or making long term world conquering plans?

Says who?
Story says so. Find an update when we learned that kelpmier is a mermaid

Geez. Why do you assume that worshipping Nocteclaw and showing some devotion means that we're slaves to him/her? It's like real religions, except that the god is real. How many Christians would consider themselves or act like slaves to God?
L.O.L.  Many Christians (most?) do call themselves slave of God. It's not common in Western Christianity (servant of god is used, instead) , but it is very common in Orthodox Christianity and included in many prayers. Muslims call themselves in the same way.
And Nocteclaw is surely much more tyrannic than Christian God (ninja'd)

But yeah, I don't think there's anything wrong with not ticking off Nocteclaw.  I mean, you guys wouldn't be atheists if you knew God existed.  I am fairly certain no one would knowingly piss off a god.
But we have  many gods here, while some will not accept us like worshiper, some will do. Nocteclaw admitted that he\she is weak.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: December 14, 2012, 05:01:35 pm »

Great thread and great DM, just finished reading everything.  Anyway maybe it would be better to use the left stone to impregnate a consort rather than transforming anyone.  The child would likely be more loyal and dependent on us than some random female.  This would also make us the literal father of the entire species further cementing night troll unity beneath us.  Also would it be possible to set up an illusion of our group inside the house so everyone from the posse rushes in.  Then shut he door behind them so they are trapped and set the place on fire.
Well, male night trolls are literally incapable of having daughters but of course, the GM has final say.
Though, the night troll we create will still be of our line, in a way, no matter what.  Not by blood, but we did transform her.  It'd be an unprecedented thing, really.

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about setting our house on fire.  You guys?

Gift of the Left Stone: Can be spent to convert a female or impregnate a mate. Instead of producing a son or a consort, this gift creates a fully functional female night troll. The traits gained depends on the female converted or consort impregnated.

So yeah generally we couldn't create a female child but in this case we can.

In reply to the GreatWyrmGold, well I'm pretty new to this whole thing but I thought you could use the dark/shadow magic stuff to create illusions.  Granted only when it's dark, so we might have to board up windows and all the other exits besides the main door to keep the inside dark but I think some people were suggesting that course of action regardless.  Our group could hide in nearby trees, the less stealthy members further away with the most stealthy close to the house to set it on fire and pick off survivors.  We could also dig a pit, possibly with our artifact spear within the house.  Said pit could be covered up with an illusion as well so that they walk right into it.  The bottom of the pit could have wooden spikes, or maybe a dangerous animal (yeti lol).  On another note, I am against using the left stone on the lesbian (whose name I forget).  I do feel that she should be turned at some point preferably soon but the left stone simply fails to play to any of her strengths and it could be used better.

Oh and thanks Mlamlah  :D
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: December 14, 2012, 05:09:23 pm »

What, a night troll can't determine what pragmatic choices are?
What is more pragmatic, getting an ally to ensure own survival, now or making long term world conquering plans?
Varies on situation and goals, and they're not mutually exclusive.

Says who?
Story says so. Find an update when we learned that kelpmier is a mermaid
...Could you at least provide a page?

Geez. Why do you assume that worshipping Nocteclaw and showing some devotion means that we're slaves to him/her? It's like real religions, except that the god is real. How many Christians would consider themselves or act like slaves to God?
L.O.L.  Many Christians (most?) do call themselves slave of God. It's not common in Western Christianity (servant of god is used, instead) , but it is very common in Orthodox Christianity and included in many prayers. Muslims call themselves in the same way.
And Nocteclaw is surely much more tyrannic than Christian God (ninja'd)
A. Not all, though. Many just consider themselves children of God. I know, I listened to the sermons and read the Bible. Long story. Point is, not everyone is a slave.
B. Yes, because she's been so commanding to us so far and/or will reward faith with punishments and demands...

But yeah, I don't think there's anything wrong with not ticking off Nocteclaw.  I mean, you guys wouldn't be atheists if you knew God existed.  I am fairly certain no one would knowingly piss off a god.
But we have  many gods here, while some will not accept us like worshiper, some will do. Nocteclaw admitted that he\she is weak.
What other gods want us? And how many gods would shun us for worshipping Nocteclaw, but not for being a night troll (literally BORN from Nocteclaw's dangly bits?)

In reply to the GreatWyrmGold, well I'm pretty new to this whole thing but I thought you could use the dark/shadow magic stuff to create illusions.  Granted only when it's dark, so we might have to board up windows and all the other exits besides the main door to keep the inside dark but I think some people were suggesting that course of action regardless.  Our group could hide in nearby trees, the less stealthy members further away with the most stealthy close to the house to set it on fire and pick off survivors.  We could also dig a pit, possibly with our artifact spear within the house.  Said pit could be covered up with an illusion as well so that they walk right into it.  The bottom of the pit could have wooden spikes, or maybe a dangerous animal (yeti lol).  On another note, I am against using the left stone on the lesbian (whose name I forget).  I do feel that she should be turned at some point preferably soon but the left stone simply fails to play to any of her strengths and it could be used better.
You can use dark manipulation more or less that way, but dawn is breaking and I'm not sure how exact the illusions are. Why would we put our artifact spear in the pit? I'm also against using the Left Stone on Alice, unless maybe she's willing to have lots of kids despite her nature.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: December 14, 2012, 05:13:42 pm »

The artifact spear can use earth magic right?  Good chance to practice using it by creating a pit?  Also its dark outside but with boarded windows the inside of the house should be dark so illusions should still be applicable.  At least that's my take on it.  Anyway even without the illusions, pits with spikes and covered up with foliage/leaves/sticks could be used as a trap and is something that can be done well enough in real life for hunting animals so why not people/elves.
Sure thing peanut man!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: December 14, 2012, 05:19:09 pm »

The artifact spear can use earth magic right?  Good chance to practice using it by creating a pit?
Oh, I thought you meant to put it in the pit as a spike.

Also its dark outside but with boarded windows the inside of the house should be dark so illusions should still be applicable.  At least that's my take on it.
It's dark, but dawning.

Anyway even without the illusions, pits with spikes and covered up with foliage/leaves/sticks could be used as a trap and is something that can be done well enough in real life for hunting animals so why not people/elves.
Elves are intelligent enough to have heard of this kind of trap, old enough to learn how to recognise it, and magical enough to chat with trees about its presence. Still a good idea.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: December 14, 2012, 05:27:29 pm »

Does the dark manipulation only work at night or does it only work in the dark.  If it only works at night than too bad, but if it can work during the day so long as it is dark, then we could make the inside of the house dark by blocking the windows (and hence the light) and thereby allowing us to place an illusion within the house covering up the traps or creating distractions.  And if distractions and spike pit traps are out of the question than burning them in the house could still be a possibility.  BTW I think it would be nice to use the gift of the inferno to create a son relatively soon.  Sounds really powerful especially in a forested area such as this.  He could really prove to be a valuable asset, possibly more powerful than our main character even.  Also if we assume our offspring get the first gift that we had for breeding, it would mean he could also create another inferno baby with time.  Last thought, maybe from now on we should always have one of those birds nearby when we travel or hunt, just as a last ditch escape plan we could ride them away to safety (they are big enough to ride right?).
Sure thing peanut man!

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: December 14, 2012, 05:28:38 pm »

You blink. A mermaid follower of Nocteclaw, the goddess of darkness. Your father was an Atheist, and raised you as such, but you know Nocteclaw is the god of choice for pious Night Trolls. You recall one of your much older brothers visiting the cave and talking about Merfolk. They come from a land so far beneath the waves it is always night, and the pious among their ranks view Night Trolls as divine beings who punish the land dwelling mortals for harvesting Merfolk Bones.

They have a reputation for being a stoic people, hard to scare and thus being poor prey, so many coastal Night Trolls would choose instead to use them as allies. You recall that they can be converted, but doing so in a way to allow them to survive on land is tricky.

What other gods want us? And how many gods would shun us for worshipping Nocteclaw, but not for being a night troll
Who knows? Maybe even Sol  will accept us under certain conditions. We know almost nothing about the Pantheon.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: December 14, 2012, 05:34:51 pm »

You blink. A mermaid follower of Nocteclaw, the goddess of darkness. Your father was an Atheist, and raised you as such, but you know Nocteclaw is the god of choice for pious Night Trolls. You recall one of your much older brothers visiting the cave and talking about Merfolk. They come from a land so far beneath the waves it is always night, and the pious among their ranks view Night Trolls as divine beings who punish the land dwelling mortals for harvesting Merfolk Bones.

They have a reputation for being a stoic people, hard to scare and thus being poor prey, so many coastal Night Trolls would choose instead to use them as allies. You recall that they can be converted, but doing so in a way to allow them to survive on land is tricky.

What other gods want us? And how many gods would shun us for worshipping Nocteclaw, but not for being a night troll
Who knows? Maybe even Sol  will accept us under certain conditions. We know almost nothing about the Pantheon.

I'd agree about keeping our options open but I also think we should keep good relations with this current god.  He/she might not be the strongest but chances are that out of all the gods this one has goals most closely aligned with our own (increasing night troll population/make people fear night).  We can easily make it seem as though we serve this god simply by paying lip service and following our own goals, all while still gaining a powerful ally and possible new powers.  Anyway if we change our mind we can also break contact and convert to a new deity, although I would guess religious options for a night troll are more limited.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 05:48:03 pm by gman8181 »
Sure thing peanut man!

racnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: December 14, 2012, 06:01:06 pm »

Does the dark manipulation only work at night or does it only work in the dark.  If it only works at night than too bad, but if it can work during the day so long as it is dark, then we could make the inside of the house dark by blocking the windows (and hence the light) and thereby allowing us to place an illusion within the house covering up the traps or creating distractions.  And if distractions and spike pit traps are out of the question than burning them in the house could still be a possibility.  BTW I think it would be nice to use the gift of the inferno to create a son relatively soon.  Sounds really powerful especially in a forested area such as this.  He could really prove to be a valuable asset, possibly more powerful than our main character even.  Also if we assume our offspring get the first gift that we had for breeding, it would mean he could also create another inferno baby with time.  Last thought, maybe from now on we should always have one of those birds nearby when we travel or hunt, just as a last ditch escape plan we could ride them away to safety (they are big enough to ride right?).
In the OP it says that dark manipulation works in a "low light environment"
Compromise position: Turn the mother bear, train the babies to use pyromancy and then eat Alice.
Right, the !!☼ARMCHAIR☼!!. I forgot.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: December 14, 2012, 09:55:54 pm »

I absolutely love how you put that.  "Literally BORN from Nocteclaw's dangly bits."  Conjures a nice little mental image, don't it?  :-\

But yeah.  We shouldn't look at this like Christianity, we should look at it like pagan religion.  Christian, Jewish, and Islamic faiths don't include a pantheon.  Polytheism is much different than monotheism.  What about famous guys, like Odysseus?  He angered some gods, and was buddies with others, right?  The cow-chick (Starts with 'h' right?  Heria?) and the sea-penis (Starts with a 'p' anyway, has a trident, posy-somethin'. Was he a flower?) tried to kill him, right?  So we could be friends with some deities, and enemies with others?

Or, we could just piss them all of and try to make our own way, but that ends with a lot of smiting at the end of the day.
Because, remember, these are undoubtedly, ball-droppingly real gods.  There will be divine interference.

On that note, is Noctalon still androgynous?  It doesn't have any balls left, unless it has a hernia.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: December 14, 2012, 11:39:02 pm »

I absolutely love how you put that.  "Literally BORN from Nocteclaw's dangly bits."  Conjures a nice little mental image, don't it?  :-\

But yeah.  We shouldn't look at this like Christianity, we should look at it like pagan religion.  Christian, Jewish, and Islamic faiths don't include a pantheon.  Polytheism is much different than monotheism.  What about famous guys, like Odysseus?  He angered some gods, and was buddies with others, right?  The cow-chick (Starts with 'h' right?  Heria?) and the sea-penis (Starts with a 'p' anyway, has a trident, posy-somethin'. Was he a flower?) tried to kill him, right?  So we could be friends with some deities, and enemies with others?

Or, we could just piss them all of and try to make our own way, but that ends with a lot of smiting at the end of the day.
Because, remember, these are undoubtedly, ball-droppingly real gods.  There will be divine interference.

On that note, is Noctalon still androgynous?  It doesn't have any balls left, unless it has a hernia.

I think you're getting your Greek gods mixed up with other pantheons. The first one (I'm guessing) is Hera, though I don't think she had anything to do with cows, and the 'sea-penis' is Poseidon.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: December 14, 2012, 11:44:07 pm »

I think you're getting your Greek gods mixed up with other pantheons. The first one (I'm guessing) is Hera, though I don't think she had anything to do with cows, and the 'sea-penis' is Poseidon.
Yeah, remember?  She told his men to not eat the cows on her Isle, and they didn't when Odysseus was there to command them, but a'fore he could even fluff his pillow they had that shit on Bar-B-Q.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

racnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: December 15, 2012, 12:02:32 am »

This world is loosly based on DF, and people could worship multiple gods there. Then again, this isn't DF, so...
YEa, lets just ask Alice later (or try to recall, it might be common knowledge)
Compromise position: Turn the mother bear, train the babies to use pyromancy and then eat Alice.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: December 15, 2012, 12:07:28 am »

Yeah, remember?  She told his men to not eat the cows on her Isle, and they didn't when Odysseus was there to command them, but a'fore he could even fluff his pillow they had that shit on Bar-B-Q.

You're thinking of Helios, the Sun God. Hera was the one that hated Hercules.

racnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1199 on: December 15, 2012, 12:11:50 am »

derails aside, can we have some consensus on elf-murder techniques for the immediate future?
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 143