Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 143

Author Topic: The Last Night Troll  (Read 215506 times)

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Night Troll
« Reply #1890 on: December 29, 2012, 01:59:21 am »

What he said.

But it is possible for a widely accepted theory to be wrong.
 *cough*-geocentric model-*cough*

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: December 29, 2012, 02:02:41 am »

Alice seemed to know about it, and we've never talked with her about it.
Quote? I finished reading the story recently and don't remember that

"You asks Alice. She informs you that because of the spiritual consequences of soul collection she has not been stockpiling the things."

Still, access to magic that can be used to discern the nature of the universe, (in particular the use of magic such as enchantment that gives insight into the nature of the mortal soul), leaves a little less up for debate in such areas, it allows one to apply scientific principles to metaphysics.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: December 29, 2012, 02:04:49 am »

Which post was that in, and are you sure we hadn't told her of what our father thought?  I seem to remember telling her.

OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: December 29, 2012, 02:04:57 am »

Kill 5 people for every soul we take?

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: December 29, 2012, 02:08:15 am »

"You asks Alice. She informs you that because of the spiritual consequences of soul collection she has not been stockpiling the things."

Still, access to magic that can be used to discern the nature of the universe, (in particular the use of magic such as enchantment that gives insight into the nature of the mortal soul), leaves a little less up for debate in such areas, it allows one to apply scientific principles to metaphysics.
Why should we talk with Alice about soul collection?
I am sure it's a mistake and our GM meant Gwen

« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 02:10:57 am by Strongpoint »
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: December 29, 2012, 02:16:14 am »

Yeah. GM meant Gwen. I'll try to find and fix that.

Corruptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Come to the dark side, we have cookies. And beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: December 29, 2012, 06:26:42 am »

Let's face it, golems are just better than zombies. They're tougher, stronger, and less terrifying to the peasants. A bit more expensive, but meh.

...Who is suddenly wanting a platinum golem?
Golems could also suit our needs, agreed. Though the terror that the undead inflict is a perk, imo.

We haven't had any word from the DM about how either Golemmancy or Necromancy work in the LNT metaverse, but in Dwarf Fortress souls weren't part of the equation when it came to reanimation.

It may be that it requires souls in this metaverse however, and in that case we should focus on Golemmancy - if we're to spend souls on a minion it should be on one that's resiliant.

Question: It's not Night Troll kosher to bind souls - but would a possible workaround be to pay Foghorn to task Vindel with making a requested enchanted item (once we get the Vindel situation resolved of course)?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 06:30:56 am by Corruptor »
Chaos rises, as all Order dies.

Instinct, Intellect, Intuition

Walk always in the Shadow, and both Darkness and Light will follow.

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: December 29, 2012, 06:46:50 am »

Like before, I said we should tell Foghorn that there is not need for a siege on Dawnmaiden and he can save his resources. We can tell him that we will speak with Vindel to stop chasing after that girl, especially with our communication bonus. Kill a mass of people over maintaining an enchanter and trying to get a tribute out of it will most likely come with a big cost; lives. We do not have enough resources, power, and skill at the moment to launch a siege on a full fledge city. Working for smaller easier goals is important before going for huge plots for power.

Edit: Also killing many people that have not done anything to us will give people the 'right' of go off and kill all the night trolls in to world like they did a few hundred years ago. We can't just become a monster just because people became monsters to kill all the night trolls in the world (night troll babies, children, physically or mentally impaired, or even trolls that were integrated with mortals).

Ask the Foghorn family if they know anything on the night troll genocide.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 06:55:53 am by StrawBarrel »
Max avatar size is 80x80

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: December 29, 2012, 09:47:08 am »

Golemancy would require many souls. Bad option for our ethics
We don't know that, or anything. For all we know, you can make golems from dirt and badger blood (although as dirt golems, they would be sucky...you get my point.)
Ignorance isn't bliss, it's annoying.

Alice seemed to know about it, and we've never talked with her about it.
Quote? I finished reading the story recently and don't remember that
She could have been talking about being haunted by the souls, or some sort of "going-to-heaven-or-hell" spiritual consequences. We didn't ask for more detail.

Do people have such magic? I don't think I've heard of it...

Like before, I said we should tell Foghorn that there is not need for a siege on Dawnmaiden and he can save his resources. We can tell him that we will speak with Vindel to stop chasing after that girl, especially with our communication bonus. Kill a mass of people over maintaining an enchanter and trying to get a tribute out of it will most likely come with a big cost; lives. We do not have enough resources, power, and skill at the moment to launch a siege on a full fledge city. Working for smaller easier goals is important before going for huge plots for power.

Edit: Also killing many people that have not done anything to us will give people the 'right' of go off and kill all the night trolls in to world like they did a few hundred years ago. We can't just become a monster just because people became monsters to kill all the night trolls in the world (night troll babies, children, physically or mentally impaired, or even trolls that were integrated with mortals).

I don't think you mentioned this before, but it's a good point...we should give him the box first, to make him not think we're trying to weasel out of dangerous jobs because we're a bad minion or whatever.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: December 29, 2012, 09:53:25 am »

I don't believe that we can talk Vindel out of the marriage. Why shoud he abandon all his dreams and listen to us?

More commando style operation (killing the half-troll and kidnaping the girl) is is safer option than waging war against two settlements at once

GM said that we need a soul for any magic that lasts more than few moments
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 09:59:19 am by Strongpoint »
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1900 on: December 29, 2012, 10:10:43 am »

True enough, but why would multiple souls be needed for a golem? Sure, if we wanted an army we'd need a lot of souls, but one or two golems to guard the tower or whatever would probably only require one or two souls.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: December 29, 2012, 11:54:55 am »

Before I said we should get necromancy or take over animal people / humans.  I didn't say "ROAR must have necromancy."  Anyway I didn't realize golemancy was a thing in this universe but that also sounds like a good idea.

The only reason I want one of these things is because if we plan on engaging in any sort of serious large scale combat we need a larger fighting force than we currently have.  Just think of all the times we have already been ambushed by larger groups of enemies.  I think it might be nice to get the flip side of things for a change.

Oh and before we jump to conclusions we should ask if these types of magic do in fact require souls just to be sure.

Last thing:  do we actually know if created minions such as golems or zombies would be slower, weaker or less capable in general than any other form of soldier.  I think variety is the key.  We shouldn't limit ourselves to just one thing when we have so many options at our disposal.

If we don't increase our numbers somehow than I second the idea of doing a stealthy commando type attack on the town to capture or kill the enemies instead of all out war that we might not be able to win.
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: December 29, 2012, 12:52:44 pm »

Necromancy can be very useful. Fighting against undead, dealing with ghosts and other stuff like that. But we don't need it right now. As a low level necromancer the best we can create is siome zombies and that stuff is useful only if we can field hundreds of that

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: December 29, 2012, 01:40:39 pm »

As i've pointed out, zombies are next to useless when fielded against any intelligent opponent.

Perhaps we should prepare defences before we go on the offensive?

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: December 29, 2012, 01:52:45 pm »

Also killing many people that have not done anything to us will give people the 'right' of go off and kill all the night trolls in to world like they did a few hundred years ago. We can't just become a monster just because people became monsters to kill all the night trolls in the world (night troll babies, children, physically or mentally impaired, or even trolls that were integrated with mortals).

Err... I'm not really sure what you mean here, could you clarify?

Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 143