Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 143

Author Topic: The Last Night Troll  (Read 215465 times)

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Night Troll
« Reply #1935 on: December 30, 2012, 04:05:29 pm »

Male or female?
They might be useful if we're lucky.
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: December 30, 2012, 04:48:35 pm »

Hm...
Would it be possible to have someone who isn't a night troll infiltrate Oakworshipped? They could...um...

Nah, how about this.
A few hours before the attack, we and Gwen would sneak into the area near the middle of town and jump forward a few hours and change, along with anyone we could carry.
Most of Foghorn's forces, or whatever we're calling them, attack the town directly, at (say) midnight.
We come out of the timestream.
We get to Whats-Her-Name.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: December 30, 2012, 06:03:35 pm »

That assumes that we can get the spell right though, if it end up off then that might cause problems.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: December 30, 2012, 06:16:36 pm »

Worse if early than late, but yes. We ought to practice precise eon manipulation in the meantime.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: December 30, 2012, 07:20:11 pm »

I think we should bait their military forces somehow. Create something that they have to deal with.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: December 30, 2012, 09:38:08 pm »

We need fire manipulation. Alice needs it for her wings, Gwen needs it for fire based enchantments, We need it to have an area damage option
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: December 30, 2012, 10:46:59 pm »

People have been throwing around "we *need* -insert skill here". It's not really ever been true, except perhaps in the case of a navigational skill. The skills being thrown around arn't needed, they're just useful in specific situations for a specific style of play.
In the case of fire manipulation, in most cases it might ruin our stealth capabilities, unless we use it specifically to misdirect and distract.
It might be useful to be able to toss around firestorms, but it's not necessarily *needed*. 

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: December 30, 2012, 11:22:50 pm »

I'm sure Alice would find the ability to extinguish her wings dang useful, but it's not needed.

Something just occurred to me.
Alice doesn't look much like a night troll, certainly not much like us or Gwen.
Could we have her fly in separately, like a demon or an Angel of Death or something? Or a really crazy harpy?
Sig

Corruptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Come to the dark side, we have cookies. And beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: December 31, 2012, 03:48:13 am »

Yeah Sorry about the lack of updates this weekend. I'm busy with my maptools games and housework during the weekend. Might be able to get an update tonight. Here is a quick guide to the elven settlements for those confused.

Oakworshpied: The largest settlement. Highly progressive and cosmopolotian. Lots of humans and even a fair few dwarves live here. Vindel (And his love intrest) lives here. This is the retreat Foghorn wants you to attack.

Everpine: A smaller backwoods settlement that prides itself of traditional elven values. Non elves are not welcome here. Leaf lives here. All of your consorts (except Alice) have ties to Everpine.

Dawnmaiden: You have yet to visit, but this retreat is supposedly a busy market for all sorts of supernatural beings and goods. Nobody is likely to investigate your disguise here, as dark mages and lesser night creatures make up a good percentage of business for the town. Cherlyn, despite being a consort, was able to spend her platinum bar here and buy goods.
Which one had the Nocteclaw worshippers, Oakworshipped?
Chaos rises, as all Order dies.

Instinct, Intellect, Intuition

Walk always in the Shadow, and both Darkness and Light will follow.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: December 31, 2012, 03:55:58 am »

The boy is from the human town, where cherlyn got the trap components.

We could offer those worshipers sanctuary in exchange for service. We could set them up at the ranch or have them build a communal house outside the tower, could be the start of a community.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 04:26:33 am by Mlamlah »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: December 31, 2012, 08:27:51 am »

The boy is from the human town, where cherlyn got the trap components.

We could offer those worshipers sanctuary in exchange for service. We could set them up at the ranch or have them build a communal house outside the tower, could be the start of a community.
After Foghorn leaves and we do his attack thing and we get in contact with them? Sure.
Sig

Corruptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Come to the dark side, we have cookies. And beer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: December 31, 2012, 01:36:56 pm »

Right then, here's what I propose we do:

1. Send our Rogue out to the town to sabotage defenses. Steal quivers of arrows, poison competant guardsmen, grab any healing potions that she can get her hands on.

2. While that's happening, let's ask Foghorn to tutor Alice and us in Fire Manipulation. A flier tossing down fireballs from above would be a devastating combat asset.

3. Ask if Foghorn has any spare enchanted items handy that Gwen and our puppet-consort could use in the attack.
Chaos rises, as all Order dies.

Instinct, Intellect, Intuition

Walk always in the Shadow, and both Darkness and Light will follow.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: December 31, 2012, 01:52:13 pm »

1. Sure.

2. Well, I'd suggest having Foghorn focus on fire manipulation, and specifically actual manipulation of fire (e.g. the wings), which will be more useful than untrained fireballs at the next battle. Alice is an archer, you know.

3. Agreed.
Sig

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: December 31, 2012, 05:48:32 pm »

Character:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think we should bait their military forces somehow. Create something that they have to deal with.

Right then, here's what I propose we do:

1. Send our Rogue out to the town to sabotage defenses. Steal quivers of arrows, poison competant guardsmen, grab any healing potions that she can get her hands on.

2. While that's happening, let's ask Foghorn to tutor Alice and us in Fire Manipulation. A flier tossing down fireballs from above would be a devastating combat asset.

3. Ask if Foghorn has any spare enchanted items handy that Gwen and our puppet-consort could use in the attack.

Listen to the plan carefully before you answer. "Give me a few days to get ready. I'm going to send Cherlyn ahead to screw with their defenses. Do you have any good enchanted gear we could borrow in the meantime?"

The old man shakes his head. "Most of my family fights with magic, we have a few weapons, but I have learned over the year that stockpiling more enchanted stuff than you need is just a good way to attract looters and adventurers."

"Alright. Fire Manipulation then. Can you help Alice learn that?"

Foghorn smiles. "Personally, no. But as soon as I learned the details of her new form I started looking for a tutor. I think I found somebody. He wouldn't be comfortable living in a tower with half a dozen or so Night Trolls, so assuming you can bear to part with her for a few weeks, we can just teach her the basics back at my place."

You drum your fingers on the table and let the mage eat a few bites of badger before you answer. "Thanks sir. I'll seriously consider the offer. I think its time however I give you a reward."

The old man swallows his food. "Eh?"

"Check under you chair."

The wizard bends down to look, and comes back up with a huge smirk. "Do even know what is in that box son?"

"Boogeymen would be my best guess."

Foghorn smiles. "Then you are a damn good guesser. I'm not exactly sure what I am going to do with the box... but it will likely involve blackmailing somebody. As I'm mortal myself, not entirely sure I want it open. But thanks alot. I look forward to years of working with you."

The feast concludes without a hitch. Foghorn promises to let you know once Alice's tutor is ready and Frostberry exchanges magic mirror coordinates with you, promising to call every so often. The humans hang around swapping stories for a bit before they depart, taking Rox with them.

---

"So what exactly do you want me to do?"

You place your hand over Cherlyn's shoulder. "Weaken them for the attack. Steal and hide weapons, poison guards, whatever you think would help us in a full assault. I don't always like your independent streak, but I do admire it. I trust you figure out what needs to be done."

The consort nods. "Right. I'll go assess the situation and see what I can do. If I think we could benifit from prolonged action I'll let you know. If I'm not back in a few days, it is because I'm in trouble."

With that the rouge takes her leave. You have some time to prepare yourself and the rest of your group for action. "Hrmmm... how to proceed?"

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: December 31, 2012, 05:52:02 pm »

CUDDLE THE BABY!
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 143