Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: The United States of Europe  (Read 16167 times)

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
The United States of Europe
« on: November 08, 2012, 05:44:54 pm »

Surprisingly, there does not yet seem to be a thread on this topic. This is the place to discuss:

-How far should European integration go?
-What should the European Union look like politically?
-What would be the impact of greater/lesser integration on domestic, foreign and economic issues?

It may be best to not specifically focus on the Crisis, but I guess to some degree that will be inevitable. Still, please remember: This is not a thread mainly for day-to-day politics!

And, just to make the lines of argument more clear:
If you are making the case for greater integration, color your argument green.
If you are making the case for lesser integration, color your argument red.
If you are discussing the political structure of the EU, color your arguments blue.

This will allow for easy collection of arguments and ideas in the OP so we will not be doomed to endless repetitions. That being said:

Have at it!
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Re: The United States of Europe
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 06:18:34 pm »

This is gonna be good. While I know nothing about the EU I can't see it forming a nation-state simply because the cultures it encompasses are too diverse, and the history too divisive for it to be combined into one state.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 06:21:59 pm »

This is gonna be good. While I know nothing about the EU I can't see it forming a nation-state simply because the cultures it encompasses are too diverse, and the history too divisive for it to be combined into one state.

This, pretty much. They've got centuries of established cultural and political divisions working against integration. At best it might be possible to form a federation with slightly closer ties than the EU, but that's about all I can foresee barring a major paradigm shift.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 09:47:18 pm »

Yeah, there's way too many people who would go around thinking "We don't want to be ruled by ____". It might be a lot easier if everyone spoke the same language, or all had similar backgrounds, but that's just not the case. Most of the people in the EU have been at war with just about everyone else in the EU at one time or another. The hatchet may more or less be buried these days, but there's still a lot of old grievances and prejudices lingering around.

That said I think if everyone did get over themselves and put a lot of effort into working together, I think the EU could benefit a lot if it had a top down government (where if there's a large enough vote for it, the government at the top can overrule what governments at the bottom want) rather than the bottom up government where unless everyone agrees, nothing can be done.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 10:00:41 pm »

We haven't had a European war in 2 generations. You'd think that'd be enough to lose old grievances. (edit: Well, ok, there was that Bosnian War, but I don't recall another.)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 10:02:52 pm by Muz »
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 10:12:25 pm »

I don't see it happening. I mean there are city-states that whats independence and there are countries with smaller population than some cities.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2012, 10:15:57 pm »

Well, I'm 'Murican.  Only other country I've been to is Canada.
But I'm actually fascinated with European History.  And I honestly can't see Europe joining together.  It's dense, diverse, and nationalistic.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2012, 10:19:42 pm »

Unless you go the American way and kill the natives and replace them with your own people.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 10:19:56 pm »

Is would never work. That would mean that France would have to reveal its hidden orbital ion cannon, Germany would be forced to show us the super mutants, and Italy would be found stock piling mass amounts of holy water.
Everybody has too many skeletons in the cupboard to ever join together.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2012, 10:30:47 pm »

Is would never work. That would mean that France would have to reveal its hidden orbital ion cannon white flag, Germany would be forced to show us the super mutants, and Italy would be found stock piling mass amounts of holy water.
Everybody has too many skeletons in the cupboard to ever join together.
Fixed that for you.
But joking aside, you're right about not joining.  Europe just doesn't like each other.  It's like a family: they get along, and don't actually kill each other, but damnit they try.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 10:31:49 pm »

Unless you go the American way and kill the natives and replace them with your own people.
So you're suggesting that the U.S. invade/colonize Europe, force the Europeans into reservations (in Siberia, perhaps?), in order to unify Europe?

That would certainly be an amusing turnabout. Apart from the whole mass-genocide and forced migration. But hey, you can't make a freedom omelet without killing all of the chickens for not laying eggs the way you want them to. The chickens are the Cherokee. Or would they be the French now? I think that metaphor has flown the coop.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 01:58:34 am »

I have no idea if it could work, but a more unified EU does appeal to me.

Okay, chiefly because I just want to see Europe considered a nation for mapmaking purposes. Especially if colored - imagine the size of that beautiful blue blob!
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2012, 03:43:10 am »

Fuck the union.
Love, scriver~

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2012, 03:47:04 am »

I would bring make another Luxembourg World Order derail, but what scriver said.

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2012, 04:09:27 am »

I have no idea if it could work, but a more unified EU does appeal to me.

Okay, chiefly because I just want to see Europe considered a nation for mapmaking purposes. Especially if colored - imagine the size of that beautiful blue blob!

Blue, are you mad? It should be magenta or my country will secede!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10