Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption, from the Quest for Glory creators  (Read 12468 times)

oasis789

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption, from the Quest for Glory creators
« on: November 08, 2012, 11:26:44 pm »

« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 01:03:12 am by oasis789 »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Hero-U: Rogue to Redemption, from the Quest for Glory creators
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 11:33:49 pm »

Sounds vaguely interesting, though by the title I was somewhat expecting a roguelike :P

I'm actually more of a hack and slash fellow myself, but if it adds something new and/or interesting to the RPG field, more power to it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 11:35:15 pm »

It has been so long since I heard of this game. Glad it is comming along.

oasis789

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 11:52:02 pm »

Sounds vaguely interesting, though by the title I was somewhat expecting a roguelike :P

I'm actually more of a hack and slash fellow myself, but if it adds something new and/or interesting to the RPG field, more power to it.

No surprise on the DF forums, eh?

You like combat? We got combat! The designers definitely want an emphasis on combat in the game, but in a different way that gives players more choices:

We are turning combat into a puzzle, but one to which every player will find different solutions...

You know those multiple solutions? Many of them involve avoiding fights entirely. As a Rogue, Shawn can sneak around many combat situations. He can get away from them by using sneezing or flash powder. He can sneak up behind his enemies and take them out of action before they know he's there. He can lay traps to keep his enemies away. Hero-U's tactical movement and action features will let you play the game the way you want to play it.

No combat? No problem.

Of course, if you want a higher level of challenge, and don't mind getting your hands dirty in combat, you'll treat battles as a new type of puzzle. All of our combat is turn-based, so you will make decisions and see how the monsters respond, then try your next actions. Many died-in-the-wool adventure gamers may soon find they love Hero-U's combat. If you're one of the players that doesn't enjoy it, you'll avoid it. A skilled Rogue chooses his fights, and might well choose "none".

Hero-U is all about choices, and to fight or not to fight is one of them.

Also some tidbits from their AMA

You want to sneak past a monster? No problem - if your sneak skill is high enough. But maybe you'd like to set a trap for the monster and then lure it into the trap. Or perhaps you'd like to push a few barrels so that you can keep the monster from getting to you while you investigate it's lair.

There's quite a bit more about the combat system in the interviews!

oasis789

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 11:53:03 pm »

Same here, which of the original games did you play?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 11:58:43 pm »

Same here, which of the original games did you play?

All of them.

But the first and Third were the only ones I beat. The second is the only one I dislike (because of the city maze and only because of that)

I play a Mage and really always will. I know Mages are "easy mode" but honestly I feel like this game does the magic character the best out of almost ALL videogames. Every spell has a functional use and you feel more like a mage then a guy with a magic gun.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 12:00:54 am by Neonivek »

oasis789

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 12:01:36 am »

All of them.

But the first and Third were the only ones I beat. The second is the only one I dislike.

What didn't you like about QFG2? It's actually my favorite, other than 4. Did you ever try the free AGDI remake? They simplified the city map so it's easier to navigate, but the desert map is still pretty hardcore.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 12:04:05 am »

I didn't play the free AGDI remake, but I think I have it on my computer just sitting there collecting dust.

I really want to try to have one continuous character but the game seems to be set against me.

Also what I didn't like it is the City maze. Just the city maze pretty much. That and I couldn't transfer my QFG1 save and I am not sure why (I think I have an idea), which was a shame because that was one buff mage (Mind you reading a walkthrough I think I would have had to do QFG1 again since I didn't collect all the spells)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 12:06:40 am by Neonivek »

oasis789

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2012, 12:12:43 am »

I play a Mage and really always will. I know Mages are "easy mode" but honestly I feel like this game does the magic character the best out of almost ALL videogames. Every spell has a functional use and you feel more like a mage then a guy with a magic gun.

Definitely, they did the Magic User class very well. Do you remember the puzzle in QFG1 with a sleeping Kobold wizard carrying the key? The player could use magic attacks but that was a dumb move compared to using other magic that wouldn't even cause the kobold to wake up, let alone fight. Magic User also had the best class path in QFG2 (WIT).

BTW If you like magic, Hero-U won't disappoint you even though the main character is a thief class. This is from the update and the AMA:

The Rogue can set magical traps and snares, learn to make healing salves and blinding powders, and even itching powders to add to his repertoire of thief skills. He's never going to be a great fighter, but he'll find ways of defeating his foes that no warrior would dream of using!

We have a Magic skill in Rogue to Redemption. It mostly involves sensitivity to magical phenomena, ability to recognize and disarm magical traps, and so on. Shawn also gets to use some inventory items that might almost be spells in the way they work. But mostly he has to rely on his wits to succeed.

If the first game gets funded and is successful, we plan to continue the series. Hero-U 2 casts the player as a female Wizard with a very different background than Shawn's. All new story and dialogue, and a completely different flavor than the first game.

oasis789

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2012, 12:21:00 am »

I didn't play the free AGDI remake, but I think I have it on my computer just sitting there collecting dust.

I really want to try to have one continuous character but the game seems to be set against me.

Also what I didn't like it is the City maze. Just the city maze pretty much. That and I couldn't transfer my QFG1 save and I am not sure why (I think I have an idea), which was a shame because that was one buff mage (Mind you reading a walkthrough I think I would have had to do QFG1 again since I didn't collect all the spells)

For me, the AGDI remake imported my QFG1 (GOG.com version) character just fine (400/400 points) though you can get whatever spells you missed from Zara/Erasmus in QFG1 in the Shapeir magic shop in QFG2. After finishing the AGDI remake, I imported to QFG3 and played all the way to Dragon Fire.

The city maze was something a lot of people found very challenging since you had to navigate it at least once per new destination (after which you can use magic map), so the AGDI folks simplified it a lot. They also gave the option to keep the original city map layout, which basically required you to map it out by hand... Those were the days! Nowadays every game has a radar minimap in the corner with compass and quest markers.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2012, 12:23:33 am »

This game sounds fascinating.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 12:28:12 am »

One thing I always loved also Oasis is that you always played the same hero.

It was actually one of the few series I can think of (Well... RPG) where the hero is actually the same hero and they don't find ways to depower him.

oasis789

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2012, 12:35:11 am »

One thing I always loved also Oasis is that you always played the same hero.

It was actually one of the few series I can think of (Well... RPG) where the hero is actually the same hero and they don't find ways to depower him.

Exactly. The QFG hero kept every skill point and every spell from game to game. I think that was also true for most inventory items. The currency had to be converted though.

Whereas my fully maxed out party in Wizardry 6 mysteriously "forgot" all their levels, skills, spells and lost almost all their equipment on the way to Wizardry 7 and 8. That's just sloppy design.

In the planned Hero-U series, you won't play the same character in each game, but there will be character import:

We intend to let players save their status, then "import" that into future games. But it won't work like a Quest for Glory import. Shawn will be present in the later games, and what you did in the first one will affect his personality and elements of the story, but you'll be playing a different character with a completely different backstory and character abilities by then.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2012, 12:38:39 am »

That seems a bit weak. In a "Why bother" sort of way.

Guessing "Shawn" is the first game protagonist.

oasis789

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2012, 12:42:20 am »

This game sounds fascinating.

Yup, if you "star" them on kickstarter (its free), you get notified of updates, and they're planning daily updates on story, characters etc  :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5