Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: A Guy On A Ledge  (Read 9155 times)

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: A Guy On A Ledge
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2012, 10:43:02 am »

Got an idea, web loads of cage traps across your entrance when the merchants arrive. The caravans will never path over them but the guards will. Humans, Dwarves - all make great sentries. Same with merchants. Sieging shouldn't be an issue.

Merchant animals and merchanters might path over them, it's carts that can't go over them.
That's why I mentioned merchants making good sentries. >:D

They have a habit of going insane, same as their animals. It's the guards that don't. Well, then again, if you can get a berserker one with hooves :D

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2012, 11:56:03 am »

They have a habit of going insane, same as their animals. It's the guards that don't. Well, then again, if you can get a berserker one with hooves :D
I just keep mine caged and release them when needed.

Works well. Not sure about the combat effectiveness of crazy ones though. If you can catch human archers and place them on pillars dotting your Fort, you can effectively have constantly on duty sentries free from the constraints of alcohol.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2012, 11:58:04 am »

Though, how would ranged ones work without ammo? Or can they pick up and use anything that you drops on the pillars?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2012, 11:59:43 am »

Though, how would ranged ones work without ammo? Or can they pick up and use anything that you drops on the pillars?
1. They need their ammo. Once they're out they're out. But being foreign soldiers they often bring much more than 25 bolts/arrows, usually hovering around 35+.
2. Nope

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2012, 12:00:56 pm »

Shame they can't pick up fresh ammo, would've been nice to have an autoturret :D

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2012, 08:22:10 am »

decent as a second line of defense though.

I might give this a try, just make a bunch of up stairs near a wall near my entrance, they have funny pathing so will occasionally wander up then to find they have no way down.
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2012, 04:52:44 pm »

just make a bunch of up stairs near a wall near my entrance

YES

It's brilliant. Why didn't I think of it? I actually had a pair of dorfs stuck in a hole who ended up starving because I forgot to build the up stairs as well as down stairs, so of course it would work on the merchants. :D Thank yoooooooou, sir.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2012, 06:39:46 pm »

Or a first line. Absorb all the bolts, tire out the goblins and maybe shake a few/cripple some more or even kill a couple dozen. Then when the goblins believe they've won, send in the Dwarves.

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2012, 09:20:46 pm »

Elvish bowmen would be excellent as gargoyle-esk turret/sentries. You'd probably just have to replace them every siege or two after they've run out of arrows.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2012, 05:40:56 am »

ooooooooh shit

I'm seeing a couple of corpses start reanimating on my map and getting notices that there are some human necromancers "fighting" (aka, reanimating shit). They don't appear in the unit list though, but they're named units.

halp? I mean I'm lucky enough to have the dwarven caravan nearby to pump the one corpse left full of crossbow bolts for me (my guard got knocked off its perch by the other undead bird), and I'm getting it atom-smashed as soon as we can haul it into place, but is there any reliable way to sniff out the necromancers and smite the in the face?

cause, uh. I'm not in an evil region and I'm not supposed to have stuff like this D:<
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2012, 05:48:59 am »

Cage traps in front of refuse stockpiles' doors!

0cu

• Bay Watcher
  • Losing is fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2012, 05:50:32 am »

cause, uh. I'm not in an evil region and I'm not supposed to have stuff like this D:<

It happened to me before. My embark area had no towers nearby, but I got ambushed by multiple necromancers. They don't appear in the units list because they're ambushers. Good luck mate. I catched some of them with caged traps around the stairwell in my living area, but my fort crumbled soon after.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2012, 05:59:28 am »

Yeah. Turns out cage traps work. ;P Just finished smashing the last of the corpses, got a dwarf 'mancer in a cage, sent her to the smasher when I caught the humans.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Snateraar

• Bay Watcher
  • [INORGANIC:BIRD_CRAZY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2013, 04:10:32 am »

Or a first line. Absorb all the bolts, tire out the goblins and maybe shake a few/cripple some more or even kill a couple dozen. Then when the goblins believe they've won, send in the Dwarves.

This mental pictue is awesome.

I hope you realize that the comment above yours was posted a year ago..
Urist McSnate likes malachite, copper bars, birds and goblinite for its abundance. When possible, he prefers to consume tea and toast. He absolutely detests elves.

A tall, clumsy creature fond of birds and industry.
Pages: 1 [2]